Breaking Down the FA Process

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by HotRod, Oct 22, 2009.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Breaking Down the FA Process

Ok guys, it seems that a lot of you are pretty confused about this whole process so I’m going to do my best to break it down.

Who qualifies as a Free Agent?
    The Free Agent list is made from the player ages at the start of the season. If the player is 26, 30, 33, 36 then they will be a FA after the season. As far as players over the age of 37 you can cut them freely if you no longer want them if they haven’t been tagged.

What is the tag system?
    Each team has 5 tags to use for the duration of this franchise. This system has been used in franchises in the past and it ensures decent roster turnover from season to season. This requires you to manage your roster wisely. Towards the end of the season you will be asked to designate the players you want to tag leading into the offseason. You will only name players that are entering free agency for that offseason. You do not have to use all 5 tags in the offseason; hell if there’s no one you want back you don’t have to use any of them. There will be a designated thread for each team to declare their tags. Also you need to update your roster management thread with your tags as well.

When a player gets tagged that tag stays on him until the next time he enters free agency or is traded to another team. If a tagged player is traded to another team, his new team then takes responsibility for that tag so in order for that trade to go through then that team must have a tag to use.

How is the Free Agent draft done?
    The FA draft will be done after the Super Bowl before the NFL Draft. The FA draft order will be based on the team’s record and overall rating. The way we will conduct the draft is by having teams submit a list of the players they would like to draft. I will be doing this by groups of 8 teams at a time. The first FA draft will last 3 rounds. You do have the option to skip your pick if you want.

This part is important. If one of the FAs from your team gets selected you then have the option to pull a player off the free agent list and bring him back to your team. Basically at most you will lose half of your free agents if you take advantage of this. Of course you can decide you don’t want to bring any guys back after if one of your FAs is selected. Lists of the order of players you want to bring back will be requested during the end of the season. After this draft is over any FAs from your team that are not selected go back to your team unless you choose not to bring them back.

After the NFL draft there will be a second FA draft that will probably be 2 rounds. This will be the final opportunity to fill up some roster spots. It will be the same process as the first FA draft minus the pulling back players.

I hope this clear up some confusion for you guys, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

2. trutest

trutest Walk On

Thnx, if u dont mind i'd like to copy n paste this for smfl

3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah no problem.

4. Herc

Herc Walk On

So say I dont lose anyone to FA. The guys remain on my team unless i dont want them right?

5. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    That is correct

6. sfranger6969

sfranger6969 Guest

for my situation i took over the skins and the previous owner tagged 4 older players. i have 2 or 3 players hitting the fa market this season and i want to tag them. so my question is once the season is over if some of my tagged players retire will i have a chance to tag my fa eligible players before the fa draft??