Breaking down the FA Process

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by trutest, Oct 23, 2009.

1. trutest

trutest Walk On

Breaking down the FA Process

Ok guys, it seems that a lot of you are pretty confused about this whole process so I’m going to do my best to break it down.

Who qualifies as a Free Agent?
    The Free Agent list is made from the player ages at the start of the season. If the player is 26, 30, 33, 36 then they will be a FA after the season. As far as players over the age of 37 you can cut them freely if you no longer want them if they haven’t been tagged.

What is the tag system?
    Each team has 5 tags to use for the duration of this franchise. This system has been used in franchises in the past and it ensures decent roster turnover from season to season. This requires you to manage your roster wisely. Towards the end of the season you will be asked to designate the players you want to tag leading into the offseason. You will only name players that are entering free agency for that offseason. You do not have to use all 5 tags in the offseason; hell if there’s no one you want back you don’t have to use any of them. There will be a designated thread for each team to declare their tags. Also you need to update your roster management thread with your tags as well.

When a player gets tagged that tag stays on him until the next time he enters free agency or is traded to another team. If a tagged player is traded to another team, his new team then takes responsibility for that tag so in order for that trade to go through then that team must have a tag to use.

How is the Free Agent draft done?
    The FA draft will be done after the Super Bowl before the NFL Draft. The FA draft order will be based on the team’s record and overall rating. The way we will conduct the draft is by having teams submit a list of the players they would like to draft. I will be doing this by groups of 8 teams at a time. The first FA draft will last 3 rounds. You do have the option to skip your pick if you want.

This part is important. If one of the FAs from your team gets selected you then have the option to pull a player off the free agent list and bring him back to your team. Basically at most you will lose half of your free agents if you take advantage of this. Of course you can decide you don’t want to bring any guys back after if one of your FAs is selected. Lists of the order of players you want to bring back will be requested during the end of the season. After this draft is over any FAs from your team that are not selected go back to your team unless you choose not to bring them back.

After the NFL draft there will be a second FA draft that will probably be 2 rounds. This will be the final opportunity to fill up some roster spots. It will be the same process as the first FA draft minus the pulling back players.

I hope this clear up some confusion for you guys, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

"If the player is 26, 30, 33, 36 then they will be a FA after the season. As far as players over the age of 37 you can cut them freely if you no longer want them if they haven’t been tagged."

In other threads, it was explained that a player who is 25, 29, 32, 35 were in their contract years and would be joining their new teams as 26,30,33,36 year olds. Is that wrong? I believe Shaunlmason did a post of upcoming FA's for TMFL, who is using the same tags as us, and the players he listed were 25,29,32 and 35.

You said tagged players who are 37 or older can be cut freely. If I have a 34 year old tagged player who takes a sharp decline or for whatever reason, I'm not allowed to release him and free that tag?

Thanks

3. trutest

trutest Walk On

The Free Agent list is made from the player ages at the start of the season. If the player is 26, 30, 33, 36 then they will be a FA after the season

the list of FA's is here, you can go by this but keep in mind this does not include any free agents (if u picked any up).

http://traditionfootball.com/forums/showpost.php?p=83517&postcount=1

Good question, for now I'm going to allow it. If a player is Tagged and you want to release him to recover a tag you may. But that means if you sign that player again you will have to TAG him. If another team signs him, they will have to TAG him as well. I guess I will keep a list of players that were tagged but cut so we know going forward. This doesn't apply if the player does not fall into the age group listed above.

4. dakota7

"player ages at the start of the season. If the player is 26, 30, 33, 36 then they will be a FA after the season"

So that list is wrong? The players in that list are not 26, 30, 33 or 36. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to be sure we're all clear...me especially.

I think the amended statement should be "if a player's age at the start of season 1 is 25,29,32,35 he will then be a free agent at the end of season 1, potentially joining his new team for season 2 as a 26,30,33,36 year old."

Thanks

5. dakota7

If a player is Tagged and you want to release him to recover a tag you may. But that means if you sign that player again you will have to TAG him. If another team signs him, they will have to TAG him as well.

I disagree that if another team signs him, they would have to tag him. Most likely, a tagged player that is released would be released during the offseason, making him part of the free agent draft. Currently, free agents acquired thru the free agent draft do not need to be tagged until they reach one of the predetermined free agency ages. I would think a tagged player who was released would have the same rules apply. I don't think the likelyhood of a tagged player being released during the season will be very high and the current in-season rules can just be applied for that situation.

6. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

actually a tagged player could easily be released if hes say a 34year old LT, and you tag him like I did Walter Jones, But I get lucky and draft a starting LT, then I would immedately want my tag back and you could see me either cutting that tagged player hten or the following year, either way I'm cutting a tagged play (Remember that tags last for perpitutity. so I cut a starting caliber FA that would have made a difference to a team, but I do it after the FA draft since I held that guy out. Hes a difference maker still, so a tam that takes him will likely plug him into an impact role, its only fair that they give up a tag to get a tag level player.

7. ChickenOfTheSea

Just to stir the pot I saw the thread over at TMFL discussing waiting to tag until after end of season progression. Would we consider that? I know its more work and delay.

8. dakota7

I think that waiting until after progression makes the most sense.

I disagree with you chicken, But I get lucky and draft a starting LT, then I would immedately want my tag back

I don't know what benefit it gives you to get that tag back immediately. If you've already designated your tags, we've had the FA draft and the rookie draft....that means there is no "immediate" need for a tag. Any free agent you had that was worth anything is already gone, and you've pulled back other player/s. To use your scenario, why wouldn't you use Walter Jones either as a back-up or move him to RT? If you wait to cut Jones until after the subsequent season, now Walter Jones is part of that FA process.

As far as that previously tagged player who is now a free agent, I see the merit in your argument. Using the Walter Jones example, I see how he still would be an impact player on another team. Since Jersey talked about keeping a list of released tagged players and in an effort to simplify an increasingly difficult process, maybe we should discuss a wavier process. A tagged player who gets released mid-season (I still think this is a remote possibilty), can only get picked up by a team that has an available tag. However, picking up that player does not commit the team to using a tag on that player when he reaches the appropriate age. Then if that player isn't picked up by a team that has an available tag after, say 1 week's progression, then he becomes a true free agent and is open to any team. I guess in the real world this would be comparable to a high priced player who is released and only teams with available cap space could pick him up off waviers. Then of course when the high priced player clears waviers, he is free to negotiate with any team.

9. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

If your planning on drafting a starting LT to replace your aged LT, then you shouldn't tag your aged LT. Only reason I would tag him is to attempt to trade him.

I agree with post progression FA drafts. I have a question about viewing the ages of FA pick-ups that may be FA's this offseason according to the Age Rule. Will the default roster have the correct ages and all the FA's that are in our franchise or will I have to look another way?

10. ChickenOfTheSea

Great stuff guys, love these discussions. Why didnt Freaking EA have them and make us areal FA process?????????

my reasoning behind Tagging Jones, is that hes an Impact player now ,and Jersey said I had to have my tags done by week 17. BEFORE I get through the Rookie Draft, I'm not risking losing Jones before I get through the draft.

Dakota, why I might want the tag back immedately? what if i used all 5, and i want to trade. or I used all 5, and I want one back to tag a guy for 2011 that I thought I was going to have to lose, then a release is preferred if its at a position of strength and the guy is old.

In typing this it seems that the release system to get a tag back actually makes a ton of sense, because if a guy blossoms you are faced with a hard choice to keep him by releasing another star or eat it.

11. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

i like post season tag

12. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/277527.page

^^^
    I just found this on the ea forums. If it's not too late it would be nice if this could be implemented. Someone would have to volunteer to keep up with it though. It may be too much work to keep up with but it would work in the long run.

In response to Seachicken not wanting to lose Jones I want you to know that I understand your reasons for you wanting it done the way you suggested and there are probably others that feel the same. I'm just using that scenario as an example. The beauty of the FA draft is that if/when he's picked up, you get a pick right then so you will be able to get a good player as trade-off. I'm not arguing with ya but I would recommend going ahead and tagging him and then trade him off if you get a good LT in the draft. Even if he drops in overall you would be able to get a good offer for him.

Another question I have: I read on OS that in the offseason the computer auto-cuts your lower rated players it thinks you may not want/need. How is this going to be handled if its true? I have a DT rated 58 OVR but I want to keep him because he fits my defensive scheme. I'm gonna be pissed if he is released and I have to use a FA pick on him because I'm still building my defense.

13. ChickenOfTheSea

yeah I read that too and I'm gonna be pissed as well, apparently its done to make room for your draft picks, not sure if it happens as you sign each one or its auto done based on the number of draft picks you hold? or what.

I know in my offline frannies that it doesnt happen. if you are full when you submit an offer to a DP it says you dont have a roster spot.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Chargers Tag

Antonio Cromartie CB
    Shawne Merriman LB
    Antonio Gates TE

15. Masler

Masler Moderator

so are we finalizing tags after player progression in the post season?

16. Betz

Betz Guest

I think there should be some sort of a rookie protection. Like a restricted free agent. Guys in the begining of there contract should automatically be save from free agenty. Most leagues I've been in do a three year experience for the rookie protection.

17. Masler

Masler Moderator

are we still doing 8 teams at a time?

when will the order of teams be posted?