Breaking News: Coach Paul David, Jr. Given 9 PM Deadline to Accept Gamecock Offer

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Sep 1, 2010.

?

Which college program should I coach this upcoming season?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2010.
  1. South Carolina. Get over the late contract offer and finish what you started.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. UTEP. Take a shot at making your alma mater a true contender.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Texas Tech. It's time to move on, and the job is similar in prestige and difficulty.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. One of the "mystery teams". (Please specify.)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Breaking News: Coach Paul David, Jr. Given 9 PM Deadline to Accept Gamecock Offer

South Carolina Finally Offers David Extension - But Too Little Too Late?

Three weeks ago, Coach Paul David, Jr. would have jumped at the chance to remain the head coach at the University of South Carolina, but there's no denying that a lot has changed since then. It all began when Carol Easy was hired last off-season to replace the high-profile, yet underachieving, Steve Spurrier. Considered a slam-dunk addition at the time, Easy was a well-respected up-and-comer in the college football world, an individual many deemed capable of making USC an elite program within the SEC.

Yet after a hot start, rumors of sex scandals, shady recruiting practices, and continual conflicts with administration lead to his "resignation", leaving defensive coordinator David, Jr. behind to clean up the mess. To many, he was expected to merely hold down the fort until the University could catch it's breath, put together a new game plan, and turn the page (yet again).

But David complicated things - by winning. Under Paul's leadership, the Gamecocks displayed tremendous desire and toughness, handing the Troy Trojans their first loss of the season in convincing fashion and then topping the Clemson Tigers within the confines of Memorial Stadium. How many rookie head coaches can claim that feat?

In addition to his on-field success, David was just as impressive off of it. Unlike Easy's tireless mumbling coach speak, David was both engaging and articulate, quickly becoming a fan amongst the press. He was willing to answer any and every question thrown his way. While many coaches make it a practice to belittle journalists, Paul embraced them. His famous first line following the conclusion of every game? "Okay, guys, what you got for me?"

Coach David apparently asked the same thing of AD Jamie Speronis shortly after his victory at Clemson, but according to a report in the South Carolina Sun printed last week, Paul was told, "Win your Bowl game first, and then we'll see." Not the most encouraging of words.

It didn't take long for this exchange to spread to El Paso Texas, where UTEP head coach Mike Price announced his plans to retire after the season earlier in the year. According to various sources close to the program, David was given a lengthy contract offer to coach the Miners, an opportunity he's said to be seriously considering. David was a graduate assistant at UTEP from 2001-2004, an experience he's often spoken fondly of. Many also view the program as one on the rise, but considering the graduation of top players such as Donald Buckram, Kris Adams, and Trevor Vittatoe, the cupboard's undeniably thin. In addition, the C-USA conference won't be producing a National Championship contender anytime soon.

So the Gamecocks have the obvious advantage, right? If only it was that simple. Rumors began circulating early yesterday morning that another Texas program is hot after David. Texas Tech. With Tommy Tuberville's sudden decision to return to Auburn, the Red Raiders are on the hunt for new leadership, and TTU AD Gerald Myers is enamored with Paul's off-field presence and aggressive defensive philosophy. While Myers is expected to step down as Athletic Director as early as this week, it is anticipated that he will still remain a strong influence throughout the hiring process. Will coach David jump at the chance to compete with the likes of Texas, A&M, and Oklahoma in the football capital of the world?

Nervous yet? It gets worse. Sources have indicated that a "mystery team" may also be vying for David's services. The culprit? South Carolina's own Clemson University. However, journalist Doug Roberson from AJC.com is "skeptical" of this report and speculates that it's the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets that remain the dark horse candidate.

So where does this leave us all today? Tuesday morning, despite a loss to Virginia Tech in the Fiesta Bowl, USC AD Eric Hyman offered David a 3-year extension to remain the head coach at South Carolina, explaining that he's "convinced Paul's the right man for the job." The only problem? Coach David has yet to accept the offer, and one can only begin to ponder why. Was David insulted by the delayed offer? Or was it the rumors of USC's interest in Pittsburgh's head coach Dave Wandstedt that did the trick? Is David simply weighing more attractive offers?

According to this latest report, our questions shall be answered tonight, as the deadline's been set. Will Paul David, Jr. lead the Gamecocks on the field next season? Or will he return to his Texas roots and bear the colors of the Miners or Red Raiders? Whatever the case, just please God, don't let him return to Williams-Brice Stadium a Clemson Tiger.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good stuff. Keep me informed.

3. egofailure

Just added a poll. Let's include the league on this one!

4. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

love it. thats what im talking about right there!

5. vatechhokie01

i say stay. SEC is the ultimate and bulldog needs competition.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Love the digs at me man, you come to my conference there will be bloodshed!

7. egofailure

Paul David, Jr. shocks Gamecocks, accepts head coaching position at UTEP.

When it came down to it, I just couldn’t turn down the opportunity to help build the program that gave me my start. - David

Well, that’s that. For Gamecock fans, this can only be viewed as a missed opportunity. And for the others, they’ll have to move on and look elsewhere for their new coaches.

More to come tonight - stay tuned!

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

UTEP lost no one but seniors, so I advanced. I made sure to check first.

9. egofailure

I saw that. Sounds good!

10. vatechhokie01

awesome...lol. bulldog, the SEC is yours for the taking!

11. egofailure

We definitely have to try and sway Monk's replacement to the SEC!

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Give me a few seasons and I hope to be back in the SEC

13. Goose

Goose Walk On

I vote that you should have taken #119. ;)

14. egofailure

"After UTEP's first practice resembled a pop warner scrimmage, HC Paul David may be regretting his decision to leave the SEC."

;)

15. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

dammit! I can't keep anybody in the SEC. I'm gonna have to get some serious looks at some user vs. user games out of conference.