BREAKING: Urban Meyer to step down...

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Shaun Mason, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    what problems was he having?...this is a shock

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Wow. I just heard the same.

Who would have thought that replacing Tebow would turn into a side note for the Gators this offseason?

On a seious note, I hope whatever the health reasons are that Meyer will be ok for the sake of he and his family.

4. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

not a big fan of the man but hope its not that serious and he can continue to coach in the future.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

He's going to the pro game. He's on Tebow's nuts so bad it wouldn't surprise me that he winds up coaching whatever team Tebow is drafted to.

Edit: I just heard he's sick. That's f'd up. Hopefully it's curable whatever it may be.

6. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

I wish Coach Urban all the best in the world...he wants to be with family and thats respectable.....with that said

Bye BYe Gators...back to middle of the road in the SEC again...along with MIA and FSU owning them...you better hope the old ball coach or tommy tubberville come...This is Big for UGA and Tenn....Bama will still hold onto the west

7. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    As much as I root against the Gators nowadays this is sad for him and his family. I hope this isn't something life threatening.

It's ironic his last game at UF will also be Tim Tebow's last game.

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

Very shocking....Obviously you hope he is ok....I wonder who will replace him.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

They should hire the Old Ball Coach, he looks out of place in SC

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Bobby Bowden?

Kidding.

I say Butch Davis.

11. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Damn, this is crazy.

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Can this off season get any worse? God bless Urban and his family. I am in a state of shock.

13. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Prayers and Thoughts to the Meyer family, hope he is ok. As a Nole, I hate Urban Meyer, but health is more important than football.
    It sucks to be a florida gator, it sucks to be a florida gator, it sucks to be a florida gator. Hey let UF know I hear Terry and Tommy Bowden are both looking for work.

14. Coach Saban

Coach Saban Walk On

Hmm... I bet Charlie Strong wishes he'd have waited before taking a head coaching job.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I heard he didn't sign or something to the effect...

16. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

God bless Urban Meyer. At 45, it's sad to see such a great coach have to hang up the headset. I do applaud him for having the courage to give up something he's dedicated his life to in order to be there for his family. I don't think I've ever been more shocked by a breaking news story about college football. I'm glad I got my Sugar Bowl tickets for a Christmas gift because seeing Tebow and Urban Meyer's last game will be pretty spectacular.

17. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Meyer has the same problem my 30 year old wife has. Its a faulty valve or I call "Lid" to your heart. Its not always fatal but can pose serious issues with your chest.

My wife's started as chest pains and the tinlge feeling down the arm for a few seconds. She blew it off until she had a stressful day and ended up being rushed to ER. They saw the irregular heart beat pattern and traced it to the valve cap where the blood flows from the heart. Sometimes, under certain conditions such as excercise or stress that cap wont open and allow blood with the beat of the heart in case causing Chest pains and tightness. The DR says its not fatal but should be monitored. If the pains increase, certain steps must be made to ease the problems that may be casuing the valve issue. I dont think surgery corrects this if I have heard right. Over 10 Million americans have this issue and dont even know it. Chest pains can be liked to Heart issues, Stress, Peptic attacks, and digestion problems. Also Panic attack

Good Luck Meyer

18. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Great info Jmill, and best of luck to you and your wife. Over Christmas break I ended up riding behind the ambulance as my grandpa was taken to the emergency room. He has a leaky heart valve and it can cause him to have issues.

It's crazy just how fragile we are as human beings and how quickly everything in our lives can change. It serves as a reminder to enjoy and cherish every day.

I know it was Brian Kelly's dream job at ND, but I wonder if he's thinking, "if only I'd waited another week". It'll be interesting to see who Jeremy Foley the AD hires. He's one of the best AD's in the country and has made UF's athletic program into one of the best in the nation during his tenure. It'll be interesting to see who gets the keys to the gates this time since there really isn't a great up and coming coach like Urban was years ago.

Some people have mentioned Charlie Strong, but I don't think there's anyway you start your head coaching career at a program as demanding as UF's. Mullen would be the best guess to bring him back from Miss St with Urban remaining a consultant. I'm really surprised they keep throwing Shanahan and Gruden's name around in the discussion.

I've also heard the guy from Utah and Boise St. While these guys have done well, it's crazy to compare them to Urban. Urban won wherever with whoever. He turned Bowling Green around in 2 years and invented the word BCS buster with Utah going undefeated in `04, his 2nd year. Then he won the BCS in his 2nd season at UF. The Utah and Boise St coaches have good years but then they disappear while they reload the next season.

I'd like to see Foley's phone log from last night though after the news broke as to how many people were blowing him up for interviews or asking where to send their resumes.

19. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

he hasn't officially quit. he is just taking a leave of absence...