Brian Kelly to ND!

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Juggernautblitz, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Brian Kelly to ND!

Good news Irish fans, we have a real college football coach in ND for the first time in about 15 years. I won't be crazy ND fan and predict a national title next year but we will be much more competitive and we will be contending for titles again in 2 - 3 years.

2. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I wouldnt bet on that Jugger. I thought Kelly would make the change but you have lost your two best players already and Kelly will have to start recrutiing for the following year already. Most of those guys willlikely be Redshirted unless they are A+ material. Not crushing the hopes of ND but I don't see Notre Dame competing for a National Title anytime soon

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Is this confirmed??

4. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

a girl can dream can't she?

5. bdozer66

bdozer66 Guest

i hope this isnt confirmed.

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Congrats Irish nation. The addition of Kelly - Tate and Clausen = 7 wins, maybe.

Edit: Irish fans should be really shitty about this whole situation really. You know that if they weren't so tied to what happended between 1920 and 1965 ish and moved into this century, and joined the BIG 10 or BIG EAST they would be in contention for a major bowl game just about every year. They play in a conference in just about every other sport....just saying.

7. Juggernautblitz

I have been wanting Kelly or Gary Patterson from TCU from the beginning so I am happy as hell. ND has 10 win talent that won 6 games under Weis. Sure we lost Clausen and Tate but Kelly had much less talent at Cincy across the board and barely lost a game the past 2 years. Talent is great but it is all there is as Charlie Weis can attest to and so can Boise State, Utah, Cincy, TCU, etc..
    9 wins next year
    10 or 11 wins in 2011
    Contend for title in 2012, you heard it here first.

8. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Ehhh. I'm kind of skeptical. Want an example? See Michigan.

They were a pro-style team that switched to a spread. ND has spent the last 4 years recruiting for a pro-style offense and a 3-4 defense, only to switch to a 4-3 and a spread. That doesn't scream success to me. Only a few of those players will be able to transition over.

9. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Yeah a real football coach but not a real program anymore. Face it Notre Dame being at the top year in and year out is over

10. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

You could not be more wrong with this statement. I am an Irish fan and this hire absolulty blows my mind. This guys is an offense first coach. He is basically Charlie Weis running the spread offense. Lets talk about how we have nobody to run this clowns offense. They needed to hire a defensive mind and they blew it. As a Irish fan it pains me to say it but the days of Notre Dame being a major player in college football are over.

R.I.P. Notre Dame Football.

11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Walk On

I think yall are forgetting that ND still has Dayne Crist and Michael Floyd

12. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Look at Cincy. Not the toughest schedule out there. Now, you have Michigan, USC, and others knocking on the door. Not to mention there playing in Ireland to start the season next year

13. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I have not forgotten nor do I think it will change my opinion. Its a new coach which means..

1) New gameplan

2) New Offensive and Defensive coaches

3) new recruits needed.

This equals a few years of 6 or 7 wins

14. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

I bleed gold and blue and am very happy with this hire.

GO IRISH!

15. Juggernautblitz

I am not going to try to convince you guys I am just saying that I and a lot of ND fans are very happy with this hire because we are getting a proven winner in the college ranks and we haven't had that since Holtz. Cincy's Big East schedule was not much easier than ND's the last couple years and Kelly took 60, 70, 80th ranked recruiting classes (look it up) and went to BCS bowls while Charlie Tuna took top 10 recruiting classes (look it up) and found a way to lose to Navy, Syracuse, Washington, Michigan, UConn, BC and barely beat some very bad teams. Weis never beat a team that finished in the top 20 and I guarantee Kelly will coach up the ND talent a hell of a lot better than that.
    Title contention in 2 - 3 years, mark my words.

16. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Crist tore his ACL. He will be spending the entire offseason rehabing rather then improving. That does not make for a good combo.

17. bdozer66

bdozer66 Guest

Kelly ran a 3-4 this year.

18. bdozer66

bdozer66 Guest

Michael Floyd is a beast, most of his and Tates catches were just Clausen throwing it up and them making an amazingly nice catch.

Kyle Rudolph is still there too right?

19. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Yep, Rudolph was a Sophmore this year!

20. bdozer66

bdozer66 Guest

im in no way a ND fan, and i think they will win the games they are supposed to this year and Play the other close and may come out with a win.

none of this losing to UConn, Navy and Pitt stuff.

I believe ND has a good future but that just my opinion.

21. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Cincy ran a 3-4. He hasn't hired a defensive coordinator yet, and if i'm not mistaken, ND used a 4-3 some of this season. I agree Michael Floyd is a beast, but i'm not sold on Crist, who is recovering from ACL surgery and never attempted a pass in college.

22. bdozer66

bdozer66 Guest

i just think with adding a new coach and everything it will motivate these players.

but then again what do i know.

Seems like the Cincy players are pissed about this, if you guys havent been watching sportcenter.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

Looks like another coach heads to Notre Dame to ruin his career.

It's like the nursing home for Coaches.

24. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I feel sorry for the bearcats players. I heard them talking this morning how they feel Kelly turned his back on them when they finally had the spotlight on there school. I think this may fuel the Bearcats to a win over Florida.

25. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

I completely agree. Those player's committed to Cincinnati to play for Kelly and they finished the season un-defeated with a BCS Bowl Bid. To make things worse, he told the player's he would be leaving after their Senior banquet, but by that time all the player knew from watching ESPN. Its completely justified for those players to be angry, and I hope they win their Bowl Game.

I think Kelly is a decent coach and he did a great job at turning Cincy into a BCS school... but with that said, I thought the guy came off as a real asshole in his Notre Dame press conference today. Personally I thought Notre Dame would look for a guy that can not only coach their team, but a guy that is genuine in personality and is "honest".

I thought Skip Holtz was perfect for the Job.... but now that I see he is on the list of candidates for the Cincy opening, I am rooting for him to get that job and take Cincy to several BCS Bowl Games, while Kelly will pretty much sink his career in Notre Dame.

I have nothing against Notre Dame and I would like to see them do well.... but I just can't root for a complete douch like Kelly.