Bucket List

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Cimmy24, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Bucket List

As a hardcore college football fan, I am dying to attend as many of the nations best stadiums and rivalry games in college football. As a PSU student/fan, Happy Valley has been my only place of worship during my lifetime and have included 2 games against the Buckeyes, a 1-point loss in 2003 and last years loss, and last years heartbreaking loss to Iowa. Throw in a game against Temple and that is it. Also being a college student, money is an issue this season.

I've just taken a glance at some teams that are within driving distance, and the Backyard Brawl looks like it could kick off my saga. It is on Friday November 26th, while Penn State hosts Michigan St in PSU's last game of the season the next day. The Brawl is likely set for a nighttime kickoff and Pitt is barely over an hour from Happy Valley. Pitt also plays hosts to Miami on Thursday September 23rd, while PSU hosts those mighty Owls on the 25th. Looking at about a $50 ticket for both games right now, both could be a possibility, but more likely the Brawl would be the game of choice for me as it is late in the season, and one of the biggest rivalries in CFB.

I want to hear some of your input on what are the must go to games and stadiums in the country, keeping in mind my location in Central PA. This is a lifelong excursion for me, but want to get started asap!

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Columbus isn't that far way...The Game should be on everyone's list. Just don't root for tSUN.

3. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

The Game is definitely on the list, and definitely not a long distance away. Tickets for that game are a bit out of reach this year for sure, that will be one to get to down the road. I wouldn't be rooting for either team I don't think, haha. Prolly just enjoy the atmosphere????

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Have to agree... Michigan/Ohio State is something else... I haven't personally been to Columbus for one, but plan on going this year... Nothing like it... Every game I went to, I literally felt like a war was going to break out...

Other places to go:
    Camp Randall was OK... A little disappointed for the Michigan game there, but it would be prime for a night game. The student section is a riot to watch, but the rest of the stadium was unimpressive to me.

Notre Dame is about the nicest I've ever been to. I was in awe of the campus and everything about the place. Was lucky to be there for a USC/Notre Dame game.

Neyland Stadium is awfully impressive too in Knoxville. Every seat was a good one. Would recommend it to anyone, especially someone used to the Big Ten atmosphere. It was totally different in Knoxville when I saw Tebow and Florida come to town than say Ann Arbor when the Suckeyes or Penn State were around.

Spartan Stadium was disappointing too, but that could have just been because the only time I was there was for the extra second, Jeff Smoker to TJ Duckett TD pass that beat Michigan.

Out of the ones I've seen, you've got to plan on getting to Notre Dame. That's the one I'm most proud of having been to. It was nice, fans were great and respectful, and just a downright fantastic atmosphere. This is coming from a Michigan fan too, so anyone without a prejudice against the Irish would probably like it more.

Just my opinions.

Personally, I want to get to Columbus for Ohio State/Michigan, and while I'm down south, I'd like to see:
    1. LSU in Death Valley
    2. The Swamp
    3. The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail party
    4. Alabama

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I've got a buddy who lives in Knoxville and is a UT fan. That probably wouldn't be a big challenge to get to and get a place to crash as something along the lines of Bama, Florida, or LSU. Georgia v Florida would be a great experience for sure, and on the subject of the SEC, a trip to Ole Miss would be great imo. That is one great atmosphere from what I hear.

Notre Dame slipped my mind when looking at teams, and I don't have any clue why. That would definitely be an experience. West Point isn't a long trip from my parents place up here in Northeast PA and I have been to that campus and it is unbelievable. Army/Navy in Philly is also a true possibility this year.

6. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Army/Navy would be fantastic... You're right there... Gotta go man...

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I know it isnt close to you, but if you ever get the chance try and see Texas/TAMU @ Kyle field. One of the craziest CFB experiences I've ever had!

My brother and I went years ago (When Texas still had Nathan Vasher) and we had seats on the field. You can really feel the crowd down there when they break into their chants or whatever they call it. Everyone is standing the entire game... When TAMU was on defense I couldnt hear my brother and he was sitting right next to me.

Oh and the girls... Aggie girls are just as hot as Longhorns girls.
    except dumber:p

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I went to the Michigan/OSU game in Ann Arbor in 2000. It was cold and rainy and it was still the most fun I've had at a game. The second best was Michigan/Notre Dame in 2003 when we were in the front row of the student section.

9. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Vince Young always said there was nothing like playing at night in the Shoe.

I was at that game... we lost, and with it our National Title hopes... and my voice.

Riots ensued. People cried. Cars were flipped and couches were burnt in the streets.

Night games in Columbus are simply unmatched. The USC game was sickening as well. Not as big as the Texas game in my opinion, but still just nuts.

There just isn't a louder stadium in all of college football. The atmosphere on a September night is just electric. I can't wait to see the Miami game this year. Its gonna be straight nasty.

And yes those games top "the game," at least for me. And I've been to 2 of those at the Shoe.

10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

What years?

I'd hate to agree that for a Buckeye fan, it can't be as big, but I'm telling you, the Bo/Gary Moeller/Lloyd Carr games were great.

That damn sweater vest needs to die! (Kidding... But I wouldn't mind if he quit, got fired, retired, whatever)

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Man that was an awesome game to watch. When OSU came to Austin the next year, I went downtown just to talk trash to Buckeye fans about that game.

Buckeye fan: "You know we just beat you guys today right?"
    Me: "Yea... remember this?" *Poses backward on one foot like Limas Sweed*

12. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Penn St vs Iowa in IA City. Iowa Homecoming, Your 21st bday. Nuff said, cya there.

13. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

The UT/Tech game in Lubbock (Crabtree catch) was epic. Texas Tech may not be the biggest stadium, but it gets as wild as anyplace in the country for big night games.

14. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

As great as Im sure that was for a Tech fan, I'd never recommend going to Lubbock for any reason.

15. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Cimmy you gotta get down to Tuscaloosa. You would be in for a hell of a time if you could make it down on September 11th for the Bama/Penn State game.

16. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Come here to champaign or Iowa city for an Iowa/Illinois game can make frisk and h22 come as well lol. This is probably one of the quietest rivalries where there is really true hate between each of us. It has gotten real ugly a few times here in champaign and i know a couple times in iowa city it had when i was there. Maybe i was the cause of that lol. In Champaign you get the Dick Butkus Red Grange history as well

17. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Hey now hey now, you watch what you say about Senator Tressel.

I was there for the 1, 2 matchup in 06 as well as the beatdown we gave them in 08.

18. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Being from So Cal Ive been to a ton of USC games at the Colisem and UCLA games at the Rose Bowl and boy they are not even in the same area code as the UT game I went to a couple years back. Neyland Stadium is not only one of the biggest places in the country but they are in the process of renovating it and I could only imagine what its gonna look like when its all done. If you gonna go get there early grab some food and drinks and take part in the Vol Walk and all the pregame stuff. I mean were talking like 50,000+ people there 4 hours a head of time just to watch the team walk into the stadium, its an impressive site for any college football lover. My seats were at the tippy top but it doesnt matter because its so steep you feel like your right in the action. Luckily I actually went to high school with a girl who plays for the UT softball team and I got to go down to the student section to watch the game..... boy was that an incredible experience! Im definitely gonna get back there to watch a UT/Florida or UT/Bama game in the future.