Buckeye Woes

Discussion in 'The Pride' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Thanks for not mentioning it guys.

A while back, when Terrelle and a bunch of starters got suspended, I mirrored that suspension by not playing those guys at all. I might do the same with Hyde and whoever else gets the hook, but the story isn't fully out yet. If it turns out to be the worst case, I'm going to ask the commish to bottom out those guys' stats, so the CPU doesn't auto-sub them into the game at any point. When I benched Devier Posey, for example, he turned up as a TE late in a game when I subbed out the starters. So, if I bench them this year, can we zero out some attributes so they don't ever see the field?

Thanks.

2. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

I wouldn't worry about it. When a good player is "suspended indefinitely", it usually means he's just suspended till he gets a plea deal and is then reinstated just in time for the season. ;)

3. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Plus, (saying this as a Gator alum) it's Urban. He'll probably suspend them for the first 2 games, maybe 4 games max. (Buffalo, SD State, Cal, FAMU). "See? I punished them! Oh wait, Wisconsin's coming to town? They've learned their lesson!"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

5. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

I almost laughed out loud when I saw Robinson and his anonymous sources wrote that article. I can't stand that d-bag.

6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

The commish of my other dynasty "dismissed" Hyde from his team.

7. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

Looks like your boy is clear. The assaulted girl decided not to press charges. Go fig ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Not so fast. Urban announces Carlos Hyde suspended at least first 3 games of the year. "See? SEE??? I changed! I don't care if charges were dropped! I punish everyone!!! (as long as we're playing Buffalo and San Diego State)" - Urban Meyer

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I understand, but what's he supposed to do, suspend the kid for the LAST three games? Certainly seems to fit Urban's model for discipline (meaning he suspends only for weak opponents) but it is sort of the way the schedule lays out this year. The question is - if game #3 were a huge non-con where we might stand a real chance of picking up a loss, would it then have been a two game suspension?

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm going to bench him for three games also. Maybe more if I learn more between now and the third game.

11. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Not that I'm disagreeing, but if they opened conference play week 2 or 3 some of the SEC does or had an early rivalry game (Georgia @ Clemson week 1, Notre Dame @ Michigan week 2, Florida @ Miami, week 2...), you think he suspends him for "at least 3 games"? Or does he cite the dropped charges, suspends him for Buffalo, and says he learned his lesson? I just think it's really convenient that after kind of getting hammered in the press about his lack of discipline while at UF to put your foot down or whatever and go a little over the top after charges were dropped when your first 4 games are relatively cupcakes. But as you said, that's the way the timeline worked out.

12. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

That Cal game could be interesting. They should have beat them last year and it'll be at Cal's house where they seem to play much better.

13. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

3-9 last year, only 11 returning starters, new coach ... don't see it happening this year for Cal, lol.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have no idea how coach would react if the schedule were different. My guess is Hyde would be magically available if we had a big game on the early schedule, but I don't think Meyer is alone in his approach to discipline. He just gets lots of press. That's Ohio State for you. They move the needle in such a huge way that a larger than average sneeze gets national press. Gets annoying after a while, especially when kids do dumb stuff that dumb kids are doing everywhere, yet it's made to look like it ONLY happens here. I'm just glad I never got any press while I was in school - I was much worse than most of these kids (though, in my own defense - never slugged a girl) and would have been kicked off any major sports team. But that's beside the point ...

Long story short - Meyer is not one that should be made an example of, though he will anyway because of the ratings it can draw. He's a coach just like many others. There are guys with less concern for winning and more concern for image, and I like many of these guys, but I don't necessarily dislike Meyer for his approach, even if mine would probably be different.

15. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Eh, he kind of brought it on himself though with his time at Florida, which was the same time that I was a student there. Plus Ohio State is coming off that whole tattoo thing where they tried to sweep it under the rug. Now don't get me wrong, I could care less about what they're doing off the field, those 2 title winning seasons pretty much made my life. I'm a fan of the team and want to see wins. But now that the Hernandez thing is the big headline, his lack of discipline became a story, and rightly so. There was a huge sense of entitlement with his star players like Hernandez, Tebow, Harvin, Spikes... at Florida compared to the "other guys." Then there was the retirement, non retirement thing followed by a season where it was pretty clear he wasn't invested at all, then the whole "health" issue, "I want to spend time with my family," then a few months later and he's tired of his family and starts with ESPN and a couple months after that takes the OSU job. So yea, as a Gator alum my view of him is probably slightly skewed, lol.

But it is what it is. Coaches are paid to win games, and he's been pretty good at that, so fans will look the other way (until he has a bad year anyway, then all of a sudden all those other issues will become stories). So he looks like he's off to the right start with this one, but it'll be interesting to see if\when someone goes out drinking and does something stupid the week before the Michigan game (since that's the only meaningful game on their schedule :p)

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't disagree at all that he has his issues.

But tattoo-gate is a perfect example of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Auburn fires Tuberville (a guy known for running a clean program) specifically to hire a guy who will be OK with buying players, then they go buy players, get caught, win a title, and no one pays any price at all. Also, Auburn's buying players was a direct response to Bama hiring Saban, who is notorious for buying players. Oregon just got caught buying players. Flat-out caught with their hands in the cookie jar. All of these issues have involved people lying to the NCAA about violations, and each of these violations is much much larger than what happened here, and at USC as well. Miami boosters were paying for abortions for players' girlfriends', for Pete's sake. Miami's program is a cesspool of corruption, yet no penalties have been issued. Lots of lying to the NCAA going on there. What about Newton-gate? And these are just a few recent missteps ...

OSU guys make a couple bad decisions, and we get the book thrown at us for what amounts to violations that most people believe shouldn't really be violations in the first place (which is something I disagree with - I think they should be violations). None of these other programs have been touched. And in the press, OSU comes off as the school where bad things happen. I'm not saying we're perfect, and I'm not saying we're unworthy of some bad press. What I am saying is that we are so unbelievably over-represented simply because any mention of Ohio State is immediately read by every college football fan on the planet. We have the largest fan base in the world (and 2nd place is a long way back) and any mention drives ratings. Due to this, I tend to favor local to national press when it comes to the Buckeyes.

17. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Those are all very valid points, no arguments from me. The NCAA has it's own demons with all their nonsense and violations and sanctions and all that crap.

But when a big time school like OSU hires a guy like Urban with his 2 titles and reputation for being a little lax with discipline, who's had his issues with the media in the past, who spent two years saying and acting like he needs a break, he needs to step away, he needs to prioritize his family, and then goes all in less than a year later, the spotlight will be that much more unforgiving (and as you said, it was unfairly bright to begin with). Throw in the Hernandez fiasco, and yea, things will probably get a little skewed. I don't blame him at all for going heavy on the suspension to Hyde, I just wish that Wisconsin game was in week 2 to find out how serious he is about this new leaf.

Now if OSU goes 12-0 again (as I think they will) and ends the SEC's title run (which could happen), this will be all be long forgotten.

18. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

Crazy that people still think that the over-the-top Yahoo story is true. No abortions were paid for. Players got a bit of money. But most of that story was made up by a Ponzi schemer that made almost a billion dollars by lying to people. He was prosecuted by the FBI, bankrupt, in jail, and felt abandoned by UM because the players wouldn't help him. So what does he do? Vow to write a tell-all book that would make a ton of money to try and help pay off his debts. Nobody would publish his book because there was nothing credible about any of his information. So he went to that hack Charles Robinson at Yahoo instead.

None of those crazy things have shown up in the NCAA's investigation. The NCAA doesn't need disputable evidence and have shown that they don't care about "bending" the rules. So if they thought those allegations were true, don't you think they would've tried to make them stick?

And you say "no penalties have been issued" like that's a good thing for Miami. The fact that this thing is 3 years running is a penalty by itself. It's not like Miami got off scott-free. They had players suspended, they self-imposed 2 bowl bans, gave up the opportunity to play in the ACC title game for the 1st time, and imposed scholarship restrictions. And that's not even mentioning all the "death-penalty" negative recruiting that's lost them recruits over the span of 3 years.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I suppose I should source things a bit better. It sounded pretty outrageous - though no school self-imposes the kind of stuff Miami has unless they know the NCAA has them by the short hairs. Long story short, there's a lot of bad stuff that happened, though we don't have the details. But the fact that the NCAA hasn't acted at all is kind of an argument in my favor. In the past dozen years or so, the NCAA has only acted quickly twice, against OSU and against USC. The SEC is completely off limits, and is therefore absolutely corrupt, and completely unapologetic about it.

Anyway, all I really want is to get killed in the press in proper proportion to the rest of the world. Mark May's entire career is built on trashing one school, and it's a good career move. We're about the only school you can do that with. Maybe Notre Dame. Maybe.

20. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

But niether OSU or USC were as cooperative as Miami has been. No school in the history of the NCAA has self-imposed as much as Miami has. I agree it's for a reason though. But all that + the severity that this investigation has been botched by the NCAA + the length this has dragged on will = a justifiable lawsuit against the NCAA if anything more than a minor scholarship reduction is handed down in the next couple of weeks. But I'll leave it at that.

I think we all can agree on that one.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a Canes fan lol. Maybe I don't pick up on the OSU hate as much since I'm not a fan but it seems like Mark May and Lou Holtz were placed on this Earth to bash UM. haha