Bucs (13) @ Ravens (15)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by weblink21, Mar 3, 2010.

1. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Bucs (13) @ Ravens (15)

In a game between two teams that look to be headed in the right direction, the Ravens won 15-13 in very dramatic fashion. The Ravens trailed the entire way until they tied the game on a 22 yard TD pass from Joe Flacco to rookie Deon Miller.

The Ravens won the coin toss in OT and elected to receive. They were unable to score on their opening drive, but punted the Bucs deep into their own territory. On the Bucs second play of OT, Terrell Suggs beat the OLine and sacked QB Ben Roethlisberger for a safety to win the game.

Passing
    Joe Flacco(BAL) 17/26 182 yards 1TD
    Ben Roethlisberger(TB) 11/18 119 yards

Rushing
    Darren McFadden(TB) 13att 105 yards 1TD
    Lawrence Maroney(BAL) 11att 48 yards

Receiving
    Eddie Royal(TB) 4rec 62 yards
    Heath Miller(BAL) 4rec 56yds

GG as always Win and GL the rest of the year.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I really wish I would not have given you defensive advice now. I'd like to make sure we won't play next year before I give you more advice. ;)

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Wow...Major upset here.

Good job Web, I knew your defense was good enough to win you a couple of games on their own

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bucs lose in OT defensive struggle

[​IMG]

Bucs defensive coordinator Raheem Morris answers questions in Coach Winuvas' absence.

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

The Bucs' bye week came and went, and so did the Buccaneers' offense. In a tough defensive battle, Tampa Bay lost 15-13 in overtime on a safety, the rarest of plays in the OMFL.

The game started promising for Tampa Bay, with a stalled drive by Baltimore and a 70 yard touchdown scamper by Darren McFadden to get a quick 7-0 lead. However, the Baltimore defense would stiffen up tremendously and not allow much else the rest of the game. This would be the only scoring in the first quarter as Baltimore began a time of possession, ball control offensive strategy that would ultimately pay dividends.

The second quarter saw two field goals by Baltimore kicker Josh Scobee (25 and 40 yards, respectively) and a field goal by Mike Nugent of 33 yards to end the half at 10-6.

Tampa Bay would get the ball to start the second half, then see their only turnover of the game in a Darren McFadden fumble. Tampa's defense would stand up to the task and hold the Ravens to a punt. The third quarter's only scoring would be on a Mike Nugent field goal to extend the Tampa Bay lead to 13-6.

A brilliant audible in the red zone by Baltimore would see them net their only touchdown of the game on a pass to rookie halfback Deion Miller for a 22 yard score to tie the game at 13-13. A late rally ended in a punt for Tampa Bay, and Baltimore was content to run the game to overtime.

Overtime saw Baltimore winning the toss and stalling on their drive at midfield, forcing a punt. Two plays later, the Baltimore defense ended the game on a Terrell Suggs sack in the end zone for a 15-13 final.

Coach Winuvas was conspicuously absent from his normal post game conference, instead allowing defensive coordinator Raheem Morris to do the post game questions in his stead.

"A tough loss, to be sure," Coach Morris said during the conference. "Coach Winuvas and I both hate to lose a game like that, in that fashion. When your offense has been clicking for a few weeks, a bye week can sometimes throw you into a bad rhythm. I think that is what happened here."

The obvious questions came out as well. What about Big Ben?

"Big Ben (Roethlisberger) had a lot of pressure on him all game. Credit to the Ravens for their defensive gameplan and execution. We didn't give Ben a lot of time to make good decisions. When he had time, he did a wonderful job and has done nothing to shake this coaching staff's faith in him," Morris said.

Statswise, time of possession was huge for Baltimore as they held the ball almost ten minutes more than Tampa bay (22:32 to 13:14) and sustained a constant, if not spectacular, offensive barrage. Rookie Deion Miller ran the ball 9 times for 16 yards, Lawrence Maroney had 11 carries for 48 yards, and fullback Laron McClain had 6 carries for 21 yards to keep drives going. Quarterback Joe Flacco went 17 of 26 for 182 yards and a touchdown. His favorite receiver was tight end Heath Miller, who had 4 catches for 56 yards. On defense, defensive end Haloti Ngata had 4 tackles and a sack as part of a strong defensive push by the Ravens which held the Buccaneers' offense in check all game long.

In flashes, the Bucs had good offense going. With so little protection and time of possession, the Buccaneers could not develop a solid rhythm all game long. Darren McFadden led the rushing attack with 13 carries for 105 yards and a touchdown but had a critical fumble to start the second half that could have put the game away. Ben Roethlisberger completed 11 of 18 passes for 119 yards but no touchdowns or interceptions. His favorite target was wide receiver Eddie Royal, who caught 4 passes for 62 yards.

There were a few stars on the losing Buccaneers defense today. Defensive end Evander Hood responded well to the switch to left defensive end, getting 2 sacks and 3 tackles total. Rookie Jordan Kanda, in his first start at defensive end, netted a sack and 2 tackles. Lawrence Tiimmons led all tacklers with 7 tackles at his outside linebacker position. Strong safety Jermaine Phillips and cornerback Aqib Talib each had 5 tackles as well, and even backup safety Sabby Piscitelli had 4 tackles. However, it was not enough to get a victory.

"The defense played their hearts out, as did Baltimore's defense," Coach Morris said. "Neither defense can hand their head. Both played well enough to win. A shame there can only be one winner."

The real question is, however, where was Coach Winuvas?

"Coach Winuvas is having a closed-door session with the players right now. Let's just say that he is letting them know how he feels about the performance today," was Coach Morris' comments.

At 3-4 and third place in the NFC South, can Coach Winuvas get this team back on the winning track with pivotal games against the Falcons and Saints over the next two weeks? A few weeks ago, I would have said yes. Now, I'm honestly not confident.

Keep up with all your Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hardly a major upset Jeremy. My three wins have been against the Browns, a CPU Redskins, and your Steelers before you got rolling. Looking at my schedule, I would be lucky to get 2-3 more victories this year.

I honestly am running out of patience for this squad to get consistent.

6. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Probably the best game that I have ever played in. It was tense. I was sitting on my coffee table for the whole 4th quarter and OT. When I got the safety it took about 10 seconds to realize what just happen. lol. I may have won the games, but you are still the man to me. Keeps those tips coming! ;)

7. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

wow, looked to be a great game, OT thrillers are always awesome. My only hope is next year we will be able to spectate games, at least the superbowl, but for some reason EA doesnt like to listen to the ppl buying the games...

8. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

That is the thing I am hoping for the most in Madden 11. I know this may make me sound like a loser, but I would love to watch a few games every week. The game was awesome though. It had a real OT feeling to it on my end.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If I am the man to you, why are you 2-0 against me? Maybe YOU should be giving ME tips! :)