Bulldogs lose a heartbreaker to Rebels in overtime

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]
    FS Brandon Harris picks off a pass that was thrown into double coverage

Ole Miss and Mississippi State meet every year in the Egg Bowl. The game typically means (at the minimum) a trip to represent the west in the SEC championship game. The last couple of years it has meant more to the Bulldogs, and much to their chagrin we have managed to hold them off thanks to superior talent.

That is what happened again as a defensive game went to overtime and Ole Miss had a clutch touchdown to win, following a clutch 3rd-down stop that held the Bulldogs to a field goal.

The game started out with Ole Miss struggling mightily on offense, (T. Robbins threw an interception on a comeback route) and the MSU offense moving the ball down the field. However, the Ole Miss defense was intent on bending but not breaking, holding the Bulldogs to a pair of field goals, including a 57-yarder. The score was 6-0 Bulldogs after 1 quarter of action.

The Rebels dominated the second quarter as they finally got the offense clicking to some extent. We hit a field goal with 1:51 to play in the first half. FS Brandon Harris then intercepted MSU QB White Chocolate and we mounted a hurry-up drive that resulted in a 22-yard scoring toss from Robbins to John Davis (4 Rec, 66 Yds, 1 TD) with 25 seconds left in the first half. We led 10-6 at halftime.

MSU's outlook didn't seem good to start the second half, and we continued to play well on defense. We moved the ball o.k. for awhile but stalled another drive out which resulted in a 24-yard field goal. We led 13-6 after 3 quarters of play.

The Bulldogs mounted a charge early in the fourth quarter, with Sam Williams taking a two-lane road up the middle for an easy 8-yard score which tied the game at 13 apiece. We had a chance to win the game late, but Tony Cain (7 rec, 123 yards) couldn't get open on a play-action double move, and Robbins made a bad decision throwing to him. As a result, the Bulldogs intercepted the pass and had some serious momentum.

That left approximately 40 seconds for the Bulldogs to get down the field and win the game. We knew we couldn't let them get past our 45 yard line and played aggressively hoping they wouldn't try anything downfield. They kept going for the short stuff and we managed to make them kick it from the 43 (60-yard FG attempt). We froze the kicker and it bounced off the upright.

The Rebels won their second coin toss of the game and elected to play defense to start Overtime. After getting one first down, the Bulldogs faced a 3rd and 1 and went to a fullback dive type play. We got good pressure up the middle and OLB Shane Weber made a great play, pulling off that spin tackle to the ground where he stops him cold, forcing a field goal. 16-13, Miss. State had the lead.

Here I will state that a field goal was not a given for me. I keep having MAJOR issues kicking field goals due to some weird lag shit going on where I pull the trigger back and NOTHING HAPPENS then it starts when I'm not ready, or requires another try and THEN starts when I'm not ready... This is happening to me every game lately. So if it wasn't inside the 10, I figured there was about a 50% chance I'd miss.

The big play in overtime was Robbins finding Cain for a big gain on a slant route into zone coverage, and Cain finding a seam and burrowing forward to about the 1.5 yard line and a first down. We were stuffed on short runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd down we called a pass, but didn't get a favorable alignment so audibled to a run to the strong side (to center the ball and make it so I couldn't really miss the FG try that was bound to ensue). Strangely enough, the O-line finally got some seals and a push, and Matt Hall (13 carries, 48 yards, 1 TD, hurt for the most of the game) got in for the winning touchdown.

GG smlVICTORIES53 - as you know I had mixed emotions about this one, would have liked to have seen MSU have a shot at Tennessee and possibly the BCS... We have only an outside shot at it even after getting past you.

Now to focus on BDSDIGITAL and Tennessee, I know he is fixing to lay a whooping/upset on us and finally lay our chances to rest for good. I'd like to state right up front that I know we have no shot in that game (preemptive strike, bitch!).

One more thing, my apologies to a couple of guys Coach_III and makinpropel
    Those were big wins that I was fortunate to get against you guys and I didn't do a recap. Maybe you guys don't care but to me it's kind of insulting not to even post a game summary, I was super busy a couple weeks back but no excuses really, that is sort of the going requirement in our league is to at least do a game report when you get a win.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

If I can keep it competitive it'll be a small victory. :thumbsup:

3. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Clever old timer...very clever

• Like Like x 1
  4. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Shock the world!

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

maybe he should change his name to bigvictories if he wants to win the damn Egg Bowl!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ah so that's why them two are leaving us. Way to go HELLI! Lol