Buying Pipeline States?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Geauxlden, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

Buying Pipeline States?

Figured that this is something that should be examined before NCAA 10 comes out since it appears that it can be used in online dynasties.:(

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blog...all-10-microtransactions-in-dynasty-mode.html

I came across an option to "Add a Pipeline State" while setting up my Auburn dynasty. Clicking on that option took me to an XBL menu where, for 150 MS points (or roughly $1.87), I could add a maximum of one more pipeline state (of my choosing) to my recruitment map.

Here's the description for the "Pipeline State Addition" as it appears in the game:
    "Pipeline States can help you recruit in an area while playing Dynasty Mode. After purchase you will be able to select a Pipeline State anywhere in the nation to give you another state to help you sign the top recruits. This will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

In addition to choosing to buy the "Pipeline State Addition" boost individually, the game menu also gives you the choice to purchase "all dynasty accelerators". Choose this option and you're taken to another XBL menu where, for 1000 MS points ($12.50), you can purchase all of the dynasty mode boosts in the game. Here's the description as it appears in the XBL menu:
    "Unlocks all of the Dynasty Accelerators: Recruiting Advisor, Coaching Seminar, Toughest Places to Play Boost, School Pitches Improvements, Maximum Player Training, Pipeline State Addition, and Recruiting Reports. These will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

wtf...

that is BS

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

If that's real that's very disappointing

4. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

+1

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Wow, they're stooping loooooooow here.

I just hope you can turn this off when you start a new OD.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Wow, that's horrible. Stupidest thing ever. Are they really attempting to make the game like pretty much everything else in america, the guy with the most money wins???

From a business standpoint though, I give them some props, it's a great idea for boosting revenues. Absolutely stupid for gameplay though.

Bottom line, EA truly is more concerned about their earnings per share and stock price then providing a solid video game.

7. GoGators

This feature should have been gained via gameplay acheivements. i.e. winning a conference championship or sweeping your rivals, not by paying for it. What cheese!!!

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

anyone caught using any of these in Tradition Online play is basically pushing their own self eject button.

9. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Isn't this just like real life I mean if its in the game its in the game!lol LSU Alabama and Tennessee should have this built in if you choose to play with them. jk this really puts a crimp in the system. I mean how do you know if you invite someone to play in your league and they have paid for this. I hope that in here we have an honor system and we will be protected but I am not naive. This is bound to be a problem even in here.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I can imagine the only reason this made it through the production meetings was the ability to sham gamers out of a couple dollars here and there.

Not that I anticipate a problem with any of our league members, Commissioners will be actively looking for any suspicious activity. And like Ryno said, it won't bode well for anyone.

11. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

well its a business i expect them to care about making money more than making quality games(not that i like it)...

it is dumb and i do hope you can turn it off....

12. GoGators

You know what's really crazy? The price elasticity on this is almost null. Since online dynasties are so popular now, it's likely that people would almost pay any dollar amount to utilize this feature and gain an advantage over their fellow competitors. I bet they could have made this feature cost $10 to $15 and people would still lineup for it (so long as they play OD's).

I don't know that it's possible to write off yet though unless there is actually a way to monitor it. If there isn't that would suck because you know people will purchase it.

Another consideration is this: since a lot of people here also play in offsite online dynasty's, and it states that once purchased, the ability to use this applies to all dynasties you participate in, the people that play off site will likely buy it. Then it will automatically be applied to their TT dynasty too. I think that creates a huge problem because if you don't buy it, you'll be at a disadvantage in your offsite dynasties but if you do, you guys are already indicating you'll be kicked off here.

I think this is going to require some serious thought.

13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

this is bullcrap, how can you not turn it off for ODs? Thats a totally unfair advantage for those of us who dont want to pay to cheat

14. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

I was just thinking the other day that I have almost $2 burning a hole in my pocket...

15. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Wow. Just wow. By far the stupidest "feature" I've ever seen in any game.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

doing the full upgrade to a team actually does cost 12 bucks or so....

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It won't require serious thought, lol. If you do it in an online dynasty that is hosted here, it will be a problem. If you are playing in online dynasties with people who would do this, then it might be time to rethink the type of people you want to play against... Not just talking about you, but for anyone else who thinks they might encounter this issue.

I'm not going to put anything in stone yet, because we don't know if we can turn it off or if it is broadly applied to every dynasty you are a apart of. But I'm not going to let someone pay for an advantage and force everyone else to either pay up or risk playing at a disadvantage.

18. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

i never thought i would saying this but i think madden will be 100x better than ncaa this year

19. GoGators

I believe it stated in the gamestop article that it does apply globally to all dynasties. So if you buy it, it will apply across the board.

Also, I think it's unfair to criticize the people you play against outside TF. All dynasties have turnover and your going to get a mixed assortment at times. Obviously keeping it sim is the goal, but unfortunately the only way to really screen that is by playing against someone.

I guess my point is the brilliance of this idea from a business view. If you can't turn it off, then everyone almost has to buy it to keep the playing field level. For example, once `10 comes out, you will have a whole new flock of people trying to signup here at TF looking for dynasties. What will happen if they've already purchased the booster?

It's a horrible idea gameplay wise from EA as it creates a whole host of problems. However, with online gaming, I think your going to be seeing a lot more of this stuff. That's where my price elasticity comment comes in. Imagine if they do this on madden or even take it further on NCAA to include player/team scouting reports. Something that would provide most run plays and things of that nature. Without a way to stop it as a player, it almost requires you to purchase it.

Crazy! Genius, but Crazy!

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I couldn't agree more that it is a great business ploy. I see your point, but the fact that someone would consider doing this is innately not sim. Or maybe too sim, depending on how you look at it.

Regardless, I'm going to stop saying any more about it until I know more and then we will make a decision as to how and what to rule within our leagues.

21. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

I THINK that these features can be unlocked through getting achievments. They are giving the ability to buy them for people who do not care/want to spend the time to unlock the achievments. I read this somewhere but I'm not for sure.

22. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

1.it's a stupid idea and takes the fun out of recruiting.
    2.its total unsim and should get you axed like Tim Floyd(i mean give your resignation(y)).

23. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I don't know the people here very well and I'm pretty new to this forum, but I have a hard time imagining that the guys that are here to get good, fair, and competitive games and dynasties would stoop low enough to use such a b.s. tactic. Unfortunately there's always a few that want to win so badly that they'd stoop to that. No one will ever catch me using something like that. If I was going to resort to cheating I would assume just not play the game, but that's just me.

Oh, that should definitely be automatic for FSU, Florida, and Miami users as well. Or maybe get out of jail upgrade for these three.

24. GoGators

Yeah man, Florida schools are the only ones that ever get in trouble!!! Way to single out the schools your obviously envious of. haha.

25. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

Last hurricane to get in trouble with the law was marve because he broke a car mirror, right now miami isnt even in the same boat as florida and fsu due to shannon's strict policies other the past few years