C-USA West Division Primer 2017

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by xtreme snoopy, Feb 26, 2011.

1. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

Well since the east gets one time for the west to get some love. Since the start the west has been second tier to the east and while I dont expect that to change I think the top teams of the west will be more or less equal to the top of the east (nik being the exception).

First a quick glance back at the previous season. Once again the division was led by Idaho and ULL with the Utes nipping at their heels. All three of these teams have formidable Offenses yet a stark lack of Defense has kept them behind their East brethren. However there is quite the drop off after these three with ULM Arkie St and UAB going 5-7, 5-7 and 6-7 respectively. We could call these three the "west of the west division". Some are looking better, some not so much.

So without further adieu lets take a look at the next season and some key players and story lines that look to play out (like redd I will not be looking at recruits as, well frankly I'm too lazy). Also I will not rank the top three; for 1 not to tempt fate and two it's too close to call IMO, however I will take my chances with 4-6.

6. [​IMG]
    Projected Conf Win total: 2
    Projected Team MVP: Josh Barber , 79 ovr HB Soph
    Comments: I must admit that this is the West team I know the least about. I have not played Jkyle since NCAA '10 either which doesnt help my diagnosis so Im just going on what I see. I see Barber as the MVP as he appears to be the only offensive weapon with any discernable skill. This used to be one of the most talented teams in the conference but a lack of coaching continuity has left the cupboards pretty dry. I think they will get a win over EMU (if they play) and possibly surprise another team or catch one on Auto. Either way it looks like it might be a long season for the Blazers

5. [​IMG]
    Projected Conf Win total: 3
    Projected Team MVP: WR James Fernandez; Current 78 ovr
    Comments: A team I'm much more familiar with as my instate rival. The loss of Sr QB McKinney will be an enormous blow and there doesnt appear to be much in terms of a 'Next' Qb as the best on roster is currently a 66 ovr Jr. However they are still better than UAB and have had a much longer tenured coach with Coach Whatever the fuck he changed it to or the artist formally known as AJS.

4. [​IMG]
    Projected Conf Win total: 3
    Projected Team MVP: Sensational gonna-be Soph HB Boo Skidoo
    Comments: If there is a team on the up and up from the bottom 3 it is Blondie's Arkansas State. 2016 saw the rise of Boo Skidoo. His rhythmic name and running style produced dazzling numbers during his freshman season and theres no reason to think he wont do it again and do it better. He actually has less top end talent than ULM or UAB but I think will still take the number 4 spot, beating ULM to claim the tie breaker.

Now on to the top 3, once again order means nothing, I think any 3 of these teams can compete for the division and Conf crown

1a. [​IMG]
    Projected Conf Win total: 5-7
    Projected Team MVP: Freshman QB Tyrone Coleman :4stars:
    Comments: Yeah Yeah I know, I looked at recruits but his roster leaves some things to be desired so I had to dig a bit deeper. For reasons unknown to well, just about everyone, Steamer looks to give the nod to Tyrone over Juco(So) Gerald Butler to replace Brewster (a HOFer in our hearts). Winner of the Hardie to be most improved next year and I tend to agree. Can he break the top two of Idaho and ULL remains to be seen but he has, I dare say, the current best incoming class and claims many will see significant PT. The real key to his season is how these true freshman play, shaky ground for sure.

1b. [​IMG]
    Projected Team MVP: Sr QB Jim Rice, current 87 ovr
    Comments: The Vandals have overcome their ULaLa problem from the first 4 seasons and have emerged as the leader of the western conference. However it appears they have graduated abit and I am unsure of how their new player will take to their roles. However this team is top heavy with SRs and there will be lots of talent still left on the field (next season however might get tricky). The Kitty dome has been a pretty formidable place to play recently and I see no reason for that trend to not continue. I think this season could be very good for CenT but a 3rd place finish in the division would not suprise me either

1c. [​IMG]
    Projected Team MVP: Sr QB Josh Wright current 86 Ovr
    Comments: On paper this is the most talented team in the Division, hell in the Conf (almost). My issues have been mainly due to depth on Defense, most of these have been addressed by the current recruiting class. This is the season I have been waiting for since Josh Wright, HB Titus Cox and WR Todd Britton were all named Freshman AA 3 seasons ago. My issues will be replacing my OL, which graduates all but my C and LG, and finding an adequate piece to put next to Roderick Carroll in the DT spot. HB Titus Cox was almost my vote for MVP but Wright should be a 90+ Qb and touches the ball every play. However look for Cox to make a SERIOUS run for the Doak Walker this year. my other issues have been in my Secondary however with only 1 CB graduating (he was only a nickle back too); the secondary will be vastly improved with off season training. Coach Snoopy has also been fiddling with the Idea of a change in offensive strategy to better utilize a backfield just brimming with talent. HB Lou Myers, currently at 260 lbs, will be an even bigger force this season as well. If the Cajuns play to their potential this season there will be few to none who can stop them, we do not play WMU in regular season play, however it will be interesting to see if Snoopy can avoid tripping over himself on his way to the division crown

• Like Like x 3
  2. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

I'm calling it now, barring injury Butler plays more than Coleman. Don't buy the hype.

3. xtreme snoopy

yeah looking at the set up i dont see how you dont shirt coleman and play butler from the start. get 2 years of seperation and help improve colemans dreadful accuracy

4. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

I want to use the spread option attack as a major part of my game. Coleman is an excellent runner for a QB. Butler has decent speed too, but a D- carrying rating is just too much of a liability as I've learned in recent years.

5. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

:thumbsup:

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm predicting a surprising top 3 finish for my Red Wolves :D

7. xtreme snoopy

who of the top three do you think you beat out?

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

I have no luck when it comes to Idaho, and I think he'll win it, but I can see myself beating you or Steamer, you both beat me by a combined 10 points or something this year

9. xtreme snoopy

fair enough... I think steamer has the most question marks. I could see my team dropping one and wouldnt be surprised if you pulled the upset, you always play me tough, save for two seasons ago. Off season progression will be a big deal for our division I think

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

Ya for all the shit we get in the West, at least we have some parity and fights for the top of the division, instead of the same old same old we get outta the East every year

11. xtreme snoopy

West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West! West!

12. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

F yeah homes. At least West games are interesting. With Nik being 6 star and his recruiting getting out of control, I think if he doesn't get beat this year, he may distance himself too far ahead. Somebody's gotta knock him off.

13. xtreme snoopy

Anyone have a differing opinion on your teams MVP? I had a slightly hard time with ULM and UAB... I think I'm spot on with ASU, Idaho and ULL (obviously) and more than likely USU

14. Bl0ndeRedHead

Not from me, Skidoo will be my MVP unless he gets hurt, or I have a terrible year where I'm playing catch up every game and throwing my ass off.

15. xtreme snoopy

Kids gonna be a pain in my ass for the next 3 years thats for sure

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

I love him, definitely an underrated back. His OVR isn't great, but he has good attributes where it matters, and has the speed to get by most of the defenders in this conference.

17. xtreme snoopy

bet he gets a good boost in offseason training... lower rated guys that started and played well seem to get a good boost between seasons

18. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Pitts and Eric Johnson will be a two headed monster in my wishbone backfield next season.

19. Steamer43

I think my HB Billy McClaine could end up being my MVP. He won over the starting spot is sophomore season and got knocked out for the season early last year. He should be a big part of the gameplan and put up big numbers if he can put together a full season.

20. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

21. Steamer43

I don't think this will be as big of an issue for me. I only lost 4 starters from last years team. The incoming players getting PT are the 5 jucos and guys who are replacing other young players because they are already better. Even if they struggle it will be an improvement from last season IMO.

22. Steamer43

WHO THE FUCK ARE THE UTES???

23. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I just realized I have to play the 'big 3' of the west this year...or I should say they have to play me.

24. xtreme snoopy

haha shit that's what I get for writing this at 2 in the
    mornin

25. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Easy 3-0 for you.