Cable....DSL......Satellite internet

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by jkhaalis991, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Cable....DSL......Satellite internet

Ok I know cable is the best for internet service, but looking at my cable bill 2day, my wife realized we are getting raped with the monthly charges month.

So we are gonna make some changes if it will not decrease the quaility of our internet with the cable company.

My question is does any1 here have DSL or Satellite internet & with who & how would you rate it compared to Cable?

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I have DSL through ATnT 35 a month, i have no problems with speed or disconnects, never goes out either

3. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I used to have wireless internet, and i had problems connecting with certain people. Your best choice would be direct connect.

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

He is talking about a internet SERVICE, not connection issues

5. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I used to have DSL and it was pretty good. I had no use for a home phone though so I switched to cable and it's a little faster.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I hated DSL when I had it...I believe verizon I had and it was bad...always having dropping issues, etc.

Cable has been much better, and that's through a less reputable service (SE)...

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

If you can get wireless internet, I'd highly suggest that (wireless internet is also an internet service like cable and DSL). It's faster than DSL and cheaper (usually quite a bit) than cable. My wireless ISP (Skybeam in Colorado) says it's 3 times faster then DSL (but I haven't compared actual speeds) and it's only $30 per month. It looks like the cheapest cable I could get would be about $43 per month.

Without knowing how fast it is compared to DSL or cable, I have no qualms with the speed @ all. I can watch HD streaming Netflix movies with no problems. Wireless isn't available everywhere, but if you can find it in your area, I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT:
    My parents have satellite and they aren't happy with it. They can't get cable or DSL where they are and satellite is definitely better than their old dialup, but it should be a last resort. When I was there for Christmas, the difference in speed between their satellite and my wireless was ridiculous and annoying as hell.

8. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

with dsl its a crap shoot. dsl quality depends on how far away u are from their nearest "hub" for lack of a better word. cable is by far the most reliable. u pay for quality. wireless is just that, wireless. it can be fine and it can be a nightmare. try checking with neighbors and see what their connection speeds are like and you will get about the same speeds on dsl as them. i mean neighbors too. even 1 block over can be a drastic difference.

9. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Satellite uses burst transmissions to move data, gaming will be impossible. especially a twitch game like NCAA or madden. we ran it at work for 4 years and it was hell even for streaming vid and stuff.

finally got fiber.

IMO sell the dog, trade a car in for a bike, anything but lowering your quality of Internet service. Speed kills.

I would call your cable company and tell them you are switching and they will 9 times out of 10 give you whatever special they have running for 3-6 months, then do it again.

10. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Thanx every1 for their input. After reviewing a few things, we decided to keep our internet with the cable company & go with DISH Network for our TV. The move save us $70 bucks a month, so its all good. Thanx again.