Cagliari Calcio

Discussion in 'TSL: Club Pages' started by Zikry, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coach Lopez still unsure of best formation
    Cagliari, Italy
    Preseason

The long wait is almost over as the fans of clubs in the TFS are patiently waiting for season 11 to kickoff. In Sardinia, there has been a change in coach, as HokieNYC decided to leave the team after successfully leading them to promotion to Serie A. In his place comes a coach who has been a mainstay in the division, but has yet to taste league silverware in his 10 seasons. Not knowing what to expect from the team the coach was able to answer some questions from the media on the dawn of a new season.

Q: "How do you see the team lining up this season?"

A: "At this moment in time, I like the idea of playing Pinilla up top as the focal point of our attack, with Ibarbo and Sau flanking him. However, I am still unsure of whether this will be best for the team and am currently not settled on a starting formation. 10 of our 11 starters have been confirmed and will play a majority of the games from the start, but Pinilla and Ekdal have been battling it out for the last starting spot and obviously both would be used in different formations. While Pinilla would work well in the 4-3-2-1 system, Ekdal would slot in as the LCM in a 4-3-1-2 formation; allowing Cossu to advance to a more attacking midfield position and having Sau and Ibarbo as the partnership upfront."

Q: "What are your goals for this season?"

A: "With so many unknowns heading into a brand new team, and style of play in the league, it is hard to set any concrete goals at this point. First and foremost, we want to stay well away from the relegation spots. A top 4 finish is always the goal at any club I have taken over and that will be the goal here; at least to start. As far as individual player goals it is up to them to set those for themselves. I would personally like to be able to field the best defensive unit in the entire league, but for that to happen we must all work together as a team to make it a possibility. If you don't concede you cannot lose, and I believe with the talent we have upfront in Sau, Ibarbo and Pinilla that we will be able to score goals when needed."

Q: "Is there a particular game you are looking forward to?"

A: "There are a couple of matches that I have my eye on. Of course, being able to play against Udinese will be interesting, as many of the players that are on the team were around during my two year coaching stint there. The fact that it will be an all Italian affair will also add some extra spice to the game. The Commish Derby with Lille is also something I always look forward to, and that is no different this season."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Cagliari 2 - 1 West Ham
    [​IMG]

:goal:Cagliari: M. Sau (2') :assist:R. Nainggolan
    :goal:Cagliari: M. Sau (24') :assist: V. Ibarbo

:goal:West Ham: K. Nolan (73') :assist: M. Petric

:trophy:F. Pisano (Cagliari)

Marco brace enough as Cagliari open campaign with win
    Cagliari, Italy
    Matchday 3

"What a great result today. We had been working on getting ready for our 1st game against Swansea but were surprised to find out that we would host West Ham to open the campaign. West Ham and their manager WingedHelmet are a tough, in your face unit that cannot be taken lightly. We were extremely fortunate to open the scoring so early on, I think it was before West Ham even had a touch on the ball! Great build up play by Ibarbo to hit Nainggolan with a perfect pass down the left side, who in turn passed it into the box for the opportunistic Sau to slide in. That second goal was always going to be key, and Sau showed his pace by beating his man and firing it near side. If you ask Sau he will probably still be pissed about missing his chance at a hat-trick 10 minutes later when he had almost an exact replica of his 2nd goal but his shot went just wide. The form of the team dropped off in the 2nd half and we were punished by a well placed first time finish by Nolan with 20 minutes left, but the lads stayed strong and were able to make sure that all 3 points would stay here in Italy"

K. Nolan halves the deficit to set up a nervy last 20 minutes​

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Cagliari 3 - 2 Swansea
    [​IMG]

:goal:Cagliari: M. Sau (35') :assist: V. Ibarbo
    :goal:Cagliari: D. Conti (47') :assist: M. Sau

:goal:Swansea: N. Dyer (51') :assist: Angel Rangel
    :goal:Cagliari: V. Ibarbo (85') :assist: M. Sau
    :goal:Swansea: Michu (90')
    :trophy:M. Sau (Cagliari)

Home Comfort Key as Cagliari make it 2 for 2
    Cagliari, Italy
    Matchday 1

"Well that certainly wasn't what I expected" said a clearly exhausted coach as the final whistle blew. "The game looked scrappy for the first half hour, we could barely string together two passes; hell we had players running out of bounds with no pressure at all. Truth be told I feared the worst at that point. However, what more can I say about Marco. That first goal where he was able to keep the defender on his back and riffle it near post with a defender rushing onto him was a thing of beauty. Swansea felt hard done by to be down a goal at halftime, and we were lucky to catch them napping with a quick second. Something that has become a theme that I would like to cut out early on is conceding when we are up 2 goals. It happened in the West Ham game and it happened here twice. We have been lucky to hold off for wins in the first two games but the lads need to learn how to play with a lead and play with some poise and concentration when on the ball. Can't say much more than that right now, I credit Swansea and their coach dooz for never giving up and making it a nervy finish for us, as for this team we will focus on rounding up our first week schedule with our first away game against Malaga"

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Malaga 0 - 1 Cagliari
    B. M'Gladbach 0 - 2 Cagliari

Defense key in 2 away league wins

"Whenever you can get any points away from home it is always a good thing, especially in a league where every point is hard to come by. Getting 2 wins and not conceding a goal in the process really has been a great way to start our games away from home. We were fortunate not to concede on our trip to Spain as IJGator and his Malaga squad hit the post twice on the same attack, and we were able to weather the storm for the rest of the game. On our trip to Germany the early Sau goal really eased the nerves, and being able to score early on in the 2nd half as well really helped the team see that win out. We know that our goal won't stay a virgin for all our away trips in the league, but it sure is nice to start our first two games that way. With Marco Sau and Victor Ibarbo we are confident that we can make enough chances to get a goal, it is up to the defense to try and make that 1 goal good enough for a win every time we are out there."

Ibarbo goal the difference in 1-0 away win in Malaga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.