Cal Makes Good in Pittsburgh goes home a 31-29 Winner!!

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jfosh, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jfosh

jfosh Super

The fur was flying as the Bears took a swipe at the Pitt Panthers. Last season Pitt let everyone know Cal was not in their league. The Bears lay in hibernation the rest of the season after the loss.

Season 4 would be different! At Heinz field the game opened ominously. Cal received the kick and tow plays later on a botched play action sophomore QB Pat Anderson was hit and launched a defenseless duck that went directly to MLB Josh McCullough for a pick.
    Pitt would dial up the game plan that bruised Cal last season. A barrage of dives, counters, and sweeps. Shortly the score was 7-0. Pittsburgh looked to go up 2 scores after converting a 4th and 1 on the Cal 33. The Panthers would pound 3 more runs at the Bears, but were stopped short and settled for a FG. 10-0. Cal answered with a TD cutting the score to 10-7. The Panthers would spread it out and march down the field in hurry up mode to add a score to end the half up 17-7.

Holding the hammer and receiving the ball up by 10 Pitt looked to control the game and push the lead. Some plans go well this one didn’t. Cal broke through the line and hurried a Pitt pass that was picked off by DT Keni Kaufusi and the lead was cut to 3.

The teams would trade FG’s in the 3rd. With 15 seconds left and 3rd and short, Cal was able to catch Pitt selling out to the run. Anderson read the blitz and waited for TE Jeremy Poe to clear the MLB and floated a pass to Poe who streaked to the end zone from 48 yards out. This game Cal the lead 24-20.

The 4th was a battle with Cal striking first pushing the lead to 31-20. The Panthers would not go away. Executing big plays down the stretch on 3rd and 4th downs and on defense. Coach Setzer positioned his team for a tie after adding a FG and stopping Cal. Pitt navigated its way to the end zone again in its spread hurry up mode. The score came on a critical 4th down play. The 2pt conversion was all the remained to send this one to overtime. The Panthers elected to go 5 wide. Cal would switch to man for the final play. Pitt sent all its receivers to the goal line on short button hooks. The pass was made to the middle button hook but was broken up by the Cal defender.

Great game always a pleasure to play Rhino

Things of note:

Pitt’s run game was put in check after the 1st quarter. They finished the game with 29 rushes for
    87 yards.

Pitt is a HOG! Take care of the ball against the Panthers cause you don't get it that much. The Panthers had the ball over 20 minutes to Cal's 11.
    HB Isi Sofele is dangerous. Expect Sofele to see more carries he finished the game with 11 carries for 102 yards.

Cal is reaping major benefits from a full season of seasoning that true sophomores QB Pat Anderson and TE Jeremy Poe gained starting last season. Anderson was efficient going 13-19 for 200 yards 2 td’s and 1 int. Poe had 3 catches for 81 yards 2 of which were TD’s.

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

gg... the turning point was absolutely the opening drive of the 3rd qtr. I was feeling confident at 17-7 and with the ball driving and controlling the possession seemed to be working and i was licking my chops ready to go up 24-7 and eating up clock in the 3rd qtr... then my QB gets hit while throwing and it all changes. Were still a VERY young team and were going to have some bumps in the road but i think we can compete and were only going to get better.

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

agreed big play on that INT. Only real "jail break" my DL was able to create all game.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Big win for a strug-a-ling cal team in need of such a performance.