Cali Prep Spotlight

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by onaradio34, Aug 10, 2010.

1. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Cali Prep Spotlight

California is one of the "Big 3" hotbeds for high school football talent. Programs in the west siphon the state's talent and depend on its riches to reload lost stars. In all, The state boasts 17 of the ESPNU top 150 peospects. Let's take a look at some of the players from the Golden State.

OFFENSIVE

QB's

Light crop at the top with only 1 :5stars: player.
    Jeff Rhodes: #2QB, #10 overall. Rated as a Balanced QB but much more of a Pocket guy. Big kid at 6'4" 246lbs. Offers from Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Bama, Texas and has received interest from USC. Looks to be a 2-team race between Oklahoma and Bama but a scholly offer from the homestate Trojans could propel them to the lead.

8 :3stars: guys follow him. 1 scrambler and 7 balanced. If a team needs some speed at QB, check out C.J. Mixon. He looks to be an underrated QB with good spd and acc for a QB of his rating. Better get in quick, Stanford as already offered and opened up a good lead.

HB's

Down year for Cali HB's. Only 1 :4stars: back and none in the top 10 of their position.
    Jason Byrd: #11HB, #131 Overall. Speed back that lacks top-end speed but makes up with a good package of attributes. Spread teams need a kid like this as he has soft hands out of the backfield. Offers from Neb, Aub, Va Tech so you know he can play. Oregon is 3rd on the list, but is way behing the leaders. Look out for Auburn, Malzahn would love this kid.

14 :3stars: HB's follow. Fresno State commit Dan Palmer is my sleeper pick. Looking at his ratings, kid should be a :4stars:

FB's

Always a position of need and always lacking in talent. This group is no different. 2 :3stars: kids with 0 in the top 10 of their position.
    Jared Morris looks to be a good prospect but if your school isnt named UCLA or Cal, your're out of the running.
    Lucas McGee is a servicable player that has gotten zero interst. If you need a FB, check him out. Shouldn't have any competition getting him.

WR's

The star of the group is Matt Shuler. The #1WR and #11 overall recruit looks to be as "can't miss" as they come. He's got the size (6'4" 187lbs), spd and hands to be a star. Neb, Penn St, USC and Boise have all offered the kid. The Broncos have some ground to make up but the other 3 are right in the thick of it.

2 :4stars: and 18 :3stars: round it out. There's some speed in the group and a few with good hands. If you need a possession reciever, check out Cam Bennet. He's a beanpole, but he has really good hands and nobody has offered or shown interest. Stanford could possibly land him with just a scholly offer.

TE's

3 :4stars: all in the ESPNU 150. Adrian Gibson is the star here. At 6'5" 259lbs, he's your prototypical blocking TE and has some good receiving skills also. USC has offered and is running away with it. How can he only have 1 scholly offer?
    Phil Smith is a solid :3stars: prospect with good size and attributes. He looks to be a lock to Cal.
    For those looking to take a flyer, check out Ryan Thompson. He's got size, great acc and can catch. Little weak on the blocking but hasnt recieved any interest. Another kid Stanford could grab with a bit of phone time.

Tackle

1 :5stars: and 8 :3stars:. Sean Williamson is the prize. The #1T and #3 overall has everything you look for in a tackle except awareness. Penn St, USC and Texas have all offered and all have a shot, but the Nittany Lions have opened up a lead.
    Kevin Bolden looks to be a decent :3stars: that noone has even called. Michigan and Stanford could get out to an early lead.

Guard

Very light on impact recruits. The top rated, Talib Jackson (#10G, #217 Overall) has solid skills but is a JUCO JR and hasn't recieved any interest. Anyone who needs guards should throw him on the board as an extra body.
    8 :3stars: follow. James Simpson is a solid prospect for a :3stars:. UCLA has shown interest but no schollies have been offered.
    This is an area where some easy commitments could occur. Not manyoffers have been made to these guys.

Center

3 :4stars: with 2 being in the top 10 of their position. USC and Oregon are battling it out for the #2 center in the country, Ron Kidd. Boise has also offered. The #6 center, Derek Yates, is a JUCO JR and has committed to USC.
    Of the 9 :3stars: prospects, Ben Henderson looks to be the best and has Stanford way ahead.

DEFENSIVE

DE's

:5stars: #1DE, #4OVR prospect John Connor is the prize here. He has good speed, acceleration, block shedding, almost everything you want in a DE. 6 schools have extended offers with USC leading Fla, LSU, Ohio St, Texas, Boise.
    :4stars: #4DE, #35OVR Carl House also looks to be a great prospect. His speed and agility dont rival Connor's but he does have better pursuit and finesse moves. Oregon, USC, Oregon St all have a shot with Boise and UCLA trailing.
    Of the 7 :3stars:, Marcus Smith and Willie Rich look to be the best prospects. Smith could be a :4stars: talent and looks to be down to UCLA and Arizona St. Willie Rich, however, has no offers and only UCLA has shown any interest. Get on him quick, if UCLA misses on Smith, they will surely put the blitz on Rich.

DT's

The #12, 15 and 16 DT's hail from Cali. UCLA and USC are battling for Ricky Wagner. Montrell Butler looks to be jumping at his lone scholly offer from Oregon St. Andy Hughes, my pick for best of the 3, has 3 schools after him, Cal, Fresno and Stanford.
    Ryan Harris leads a group of :3stars:. He has no offers and little if any interest from schools. Stanford could snatch him up easily.

OLB's

Oddly sparse crop of OLB's this year. :4stars: Jonathan Lawson (#8OLB, #130 OVR) is a decent prospect, maybe a tad overrated. UCLA looks to have a commanding lead over Arizona State, his only 2 offers.
    There are plenty of :3stars: to pick from. Brandon Rhodes could be a steal for someone willing to let the guy develop. He hasnt received any interest and BYU, Oregon St or Oregon could all jump to the lead.

MLB's

Dreadful. 4 recruits total, 1 :4stars: Brandon McMahan (#7MLB, #224OVR) is a UCLA commit. Go look elsewhere.

CB's

Oregon got itself a player. :4stars: Justin Washington (#2CB, #27OVR) has all the makings of an elite cover corner. Chris Holman, the other :4stars:, looks to be UCLA lock. No big loss here.
    Calvin McLaurin looks to be a decent :3stars: prospect who needs to work on his agility. Cal is his only offer and probable destination.

FS's

Standing at 6'5", :4stars: Demetrius "Spider" Jones (#4FS, #76OVR) looks like he doesnt want any part of phisicality. Think again. This kid will hit you, but needs alot of work on his zone coverage ability. Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA and Arizona St have all offered and USC could get right into the thick of it with an offer. This should be a great battle to watch!
    Fresno State looks to be getting a steal with :3stars: Luke Duncan.

SS's

Nothing to see here. 1 :3stars: prospect that has commited to Fresno.

*K's, P's and Ath's tonight or tomorrow*

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Great Read!

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Very good write-up! I need to step my game up!

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great write up Onaradio..........except I don't see any Utah on that sheet :(

5. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Isn't that Florida? :rolleyes:

6. controllerabuser

Yep...

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

great job on, looking forward to more

8. onaradio34

Damn it...I really wish i could chalk that up to a typo but...no.

Gimme a break, im a product of the Tennessee public school system.

9. controllerabuser

Got your back buddy! I edited it for ya.

10. onaradio34

Defensive added

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

loving it