Call of Duty 720p on Xbox One - Does it Matter?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by I Peench, Nov 6, 2013.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Despite some obvious trolling, I'm very much on the fence about my next gen console. I thought this was a really well-put explanation of what's going on for those less technically oriented, and thought I'd share and open it up to discussion. Keep the retarded fanboy shit out of it, no need to tell us you're going with one and don't care. If you don't care, don't discuss.

For me, the play is to sell my pre-orders and wait it out. If the cloud capabilities come to fruition and kinect is indeed useful, I think the xbox is the way to go (they are the only true "next gen" features of either). If all kinect does is allow me to tell my xbox I want to watch something, and third party developers aren't taking advantage of the cloud, I feel like I might as well get the console with more horsepower and MLB The Show.

Speaking of the cloud, here is the Titanfall developer talking about how they took advantage of it. Again, it's important to me that third party developers do so as well.

2. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Not sure it matters for COD as that game blows ball sack lol

3. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

For people on the fence about which console to get, it will impact some of their decisions. For those that have already made their choice it won't have an impact. I'm getting the PS4 at launch and the X1 early next year in time for Titanfall. There are a lot of factors that went in to my decision to go with the PS4 at launch and graphical power was low on the list. X1's cloud potential has a lot of promise, but I need to see how it plays out. I wonder if MS didn't kill the potential of the cloud by backtracking on the internet requirement. Online only games like Titanfall can use it, but I wonder if games with both single and multiplayer will bother using it knowing not everyone will have access.

Oh, and hey guys. It's been awhile:)

4. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

To me the 720p vs 1080p thing doesn't really matter, shit, right now the PS3 is a more powerful system than the Xbox 360. Im getting both eventually but because of the multiplayer perks that have routinely been better on Xbox Live I'm riding with the MS boys out of the gate. There's no doubt both systems will play phenomenal and also have their share of short comings so I say invest in a top shelf TV and enjoy.

Yeah waddup dj illmatic 23

5. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

To me, yes it matters. BUT, I will say this, I did not expect to be having this discussion with the next-gen. Maybe i'm missing something and I could easily be, but this day in age we shouldn't be concerned if a game will run 1080. It should be a given. Both systems fall victim here. B4 was rumored (maybe confirmed by now) to be running in 900 on the ps4. Maybe i'm expecting too much but this day in age we should not be having this discussion.

The cloud, eh we'll see. I wish it the best and hope to see it in use but I've heard a bunch of rumors that developers aren't fond of it.

I'm interested in this next-generation of gaming, I can't say a whole deal of excitement is with me right now, I'm happy to see some of the changes already with M25 and NBA 2k14 and what not. But I fear for the future, developers are the ones who really pushed for the next-gen because they were running out of things to be able to do with the current gen. Then seeing that they are already having a hard time with this one. I've heard that's why CoD only runs on 720 on the x1, they had to take it down to due to limits.

Disclaimer time, all that i've said is through word-of-mouth, through rumors and articles. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. Although I feel my sources are credible, I also know how easily wrong they could be too. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the next-gen, and short-term I am excited, but when this start to become 3,4,5 years old, what are we going to see?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I Peench

Agree with everything you said. I think the tech is there to make all these games in 1080p, but the limitations and time restrictions on both consoles made it tough.

Anyways, where did you see where the developers hate the cloud? I'd be interested in seeing that.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The hardware is there to make these games 1080p, the developer knowledge and tool chain maturation isn't there yet.

Go look at launch PS3 games and GTA V.

The defense rests, Your Honor.

8. I Peench

Agree with you 100%. Resolution isn't the issue for me, it's more what it's indicative of. If you've seen AC4, you'll know the playstation 3 version is discernibly better than its xbox counterpart. Both systems will be increasingly optimized with dev familiarity, but that sort of plays into the hands of PS4 as well. I assumed they'd be equal out of the gate, then the PS4 would take over when the xbox's weaker hardware hit a bottleneck in 5+ years. The fact that the xbox has weaker specs and seems to be more difficult to develop for makes it an entirely different situation.

All of this is moot as I'm probably going to get both, despite not wanting to right now. Just sayin', Kinect better kick some ass. The One will sell very well, but I think they really might alienate the hardcore gamers.

9. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

I actually heard that on a video, it was inside rumors that developers feel the ESRAM are more complex then they actually thought. I'll dig deeper for an article.

Yes, you are correct. But correct me if i'm wrong, that was vastly due to the 'foreign' hardware in the ps3 from the get go. The ps3 was said to be much harder to fully develop games for (which is what I'm hearing for the Xbox 1). With this gen it's said to be much more developer friendly and simple to make for. Therefore they should be familiar with this hardware, now with that said I don't expect them to fully know the ins and outs now and I do feel it'll get better as they get used to it but I don't think we will see such a jump as you mention with beginning ps3 to ending. Hope I'm wrong, but I feel like they are already bottlenecking with these systems.

10. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you