Cal's Pathetic Fanbase

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Steamer43, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Apr 17, 2010
    This season Cal's stadium which seated 71,000 is undergoing renovation and the football team is playing at the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park. An outside company set up a "neutral" site game between the Cal Bears and the Fresno State Bulldogs at Monster Park (aka Candlestick) park where the SF 49ers play. It was expected that the 42k baseball stadium would not fit the Cal/FS combined attendance. Candlestick is 19 miles away from Berkley's memorial stadium and is approx 200 miles from Bulldog Stadium. The game is not included in Cal season tickets. Today the Cal Athletic Director sent out this quote in an e-mail sent to ticket holders-

"In order to earn our revenue guarantee, we need to sell our allotment of tickets directly from the Cal Athletic Ticket Office (purchasing through other sites like Ticketmaster or StubHub does not qualify toward our guarantee). To date, we have not met our goal and currently trail Fresno State in tickets sold, however, we still have some of the best seats available in the Cal section along the sideline. I am challenging our Cal community to surpass Fresno State for fan support in attendance and tickets sold. I just can't imagine that our community would allow Fresno to come to the Bay Area and out number us at Candlestick Park on September 3rd. I know we won't let that be the case."

Am I wrong in thinking this is just pathetic? I can't think of any other BCS team that this would have this happen against a "mid-major" . Fresno State has sold about 12k seats for the Sept 3rd season opener, which means Cal has most likely sold under 10k... Fresno State brought around 20k to games at USC and UCLA in the last 5 years so it is expected FS will get close to that total. Perhaps there will be more red than blue.
  2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Jul 14, 2010
    Fresno State's not that bad. At least it feels like they've been as relevant as Cal lately regardless of being in the lesser conference... although they let me down in bowl pick 'em last year...
  3. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Jul 31, 2010
    Stop trying to make Fresno State look good.