Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII 40 yard dash overlay

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by Bondzai, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

RG3 is a beast. Should have been a Longhorn DB ;)

3. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Andrew Luck has good straight line speed but not even close to the same quickness and explosiveness of
    . I wouldn't be surprised if he was stronger though, Luck is a pretty big dude.

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Yeah..... I'm thinking he made the right choice going to Baylor to play QB......

lol

5. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I never knew Luck was that quick.

6. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Still one of my favorite plays:

7. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

The main thing to get out of that is that in the first 10 yards, there is basically no difference between them. For a QB in the NFL, that quickness is about all that matters. All other things being equal, take the fast guy, but over the course of a season that speed over a distance doesn't mean a whole lot for QB's.

That being said, dude is a freak, wonder what he ran pre-knee injury.

8. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

What about this one too:

Edit: forgot this ridiculous throw as well

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

What about Andrew Luck beating Cam Newtons vertical! Who said white men can't jump. ;)

10. The Natural

Are you saying that Andrew Luck is as quick as Cam Newton? Straight line speed/acceleration != quickness/change of direction.

11. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Check out this article on the subject: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...es-cams-combine-step-for-step?urn=nfl,wp19483

"Luck had an official 4.67 40-yard dash time, but his unofficial 4.59 matched, to the millisecond, what Newton did at last year's combine. Luck's 36-inch vertical jump and his 10-foot-4 broad jump (the best among quarterbacks this year), also closely matched what Newton did. Actually, Luck jumped an inch higher than Newton, despite being an inch shorter. Luck beat Robert Griffin III in the vertical by three inches, though Griffin got his own back by going three inches more in the broad jump."

Newton obviously beat him over the whole 40, but the first 20 were basically identical. The jump numbers are almost identical, that shows essentially the same level of athleticism. Luck's 3 cone drill was 6.8 seconds to Newton's 6.92. His 20 yard shuttle was 4.28 to Newton's 4.18. You can't tell me that Newton is any quicker or more athletic based on those results with Luck winning one and losing the other closely. These guys are both out of this world athletes for their size. Don't let his dopey whiteness fool you, the guy is a heck of an athlete.

12. The Natural

It has nothing to do with his "dopey whiteness", just look at the tape on the field. I've seen Newton run away from Patrick Peterson one of most athletic cornerbacks in the draft last year. Watch the sport science video on Newton. Luck is definitely an athletic QB but his quickness and change of direction (agility) aren't even close to Newton's. Even in Lucks highlight runs you can see how stiff he is in the hips. Not to mention Cam is taller and bigger than Luck is. But if you honestly believe Andrew Luck if the same caliber athlete as Cam Newton we might as well agree to disagree now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

How does the NFL measure agility? With the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle. Sometimes looks can be deceiving is all I'm saying. The objective numbers are pretty straight forward. I'd agree that Newton 'seems' more athletic, that's why these results are so surprising.

14. The Natural

I honestly wasn't surprised at all, you can tell dude has good speed just watching him play. I have always known Luck was athletic, I have only questioned how strong is his arm to fit throws into tight spaces on the next level. But you do realize timed measurables don't always translate to the field. Going by their mesurements and the stop watch there is no way Cam should have be able to outrun Patrick Peterson to the endzone (4.34 forty) but it happened.

You honestly believe Andrew Luck could have made this play?

15. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Ohk... I really don't think you can say that about PP.. LOL he was lolly gaggin around and had a terrible angle for 10 yards? lolololol

ughhhhh

[​IMG]

==========================

They're athletes wooo hooo!

16. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Peterson caught Newton, just couldn't bring him down.

17. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Cam actually looked very similar to Luck in that run tbh

18. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

RGIII not only can run but only completed 70% of his passes. I know it was a run and gun offense but you've got to take note.... i wish the Cowboys would trade the whole offense for him....

19. The Natural

*awaits Andrew Luck highlights of him juking out defenders and making 90 degree angle cuts*

Luck runs like a tight end, Newton runs like a tailback. On the field I don't see the comparison at all.

RGIII is a beast but it too small to be compared to these guys. I just want him to be able to stay healthy the entire season.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Newton made basically the same cuts outside of the one hopstep that luck did in the vid I posted of Luck in the Cal game, Cam just embellishes his a bit more. Kind of like watching Reggie Bush cut compared to Devone Bess, both have the same quickness, Bush just looks quicker

• Like Like x 1
  21. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

good point, but if he's smart (which he is) he'll make good decisions when to run and hit the deck...

22. The Natural

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm not even sure what video you are looking at with that description. Dude is 6'5 250 juked out 3 defenders and made a 90 degree jump cut and you are saying, "they basically made the same cuts" lol. You are trying too hard to downplay Cam's ability and over hype Luck's.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I agree that Luck has a lot more "economy of movement" and therefore may look less impressive than he is.. and is at the very least a well above average athlete for a quarterback, however... I do not think the measurables tell the truth if they say he's in the Newton category. And maybe it is because one is flashy and one isn't, and I'm simply not able to see through the smokescreen. I do think it would be fun to see what Luck could have done playing for Kansas State or Auburn or something. To say that he couldn't have made this run or that run... we'll simply never know, as he wasn't in an offense where the QB runs the ball very often.

• Like Like x 1
  24. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

As far as pure athleticism, neither are Tim Tebow type athletes. However, Luck and Newton are both better athletes than you'd think on first glance.