Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

fuzzyl0gic

That was quite an impressive performance from a rookie, even in a loss. Does this give you high hopes for Carolina?

2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Yes it does, it was an exciting game to watch. I totally didn't expect him to come out and pass for 400+ yards, it's been years since we've seen that kind of offensive production. Really impressive.

3. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

You do realize you played the Cardinals? Their secondary is atrocious. Let's see how he does against some real defenses.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]

5. fuzzyl0gic

You do realize he broke a record, right? As in no other rookie in the history of the NFL has ever thrown for that many yards in the first game. Try to down-play it all you want.

[​IMG]

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

I will. I was at the game. The Cardinals were so bad in their secondary it was unbelievable. I'll give Newton credit for making some good throws, but the rush offense was so bad they had to throw it. And I'd say 90% of his completions were to receivers that were either uncovered without a defender within 5 yards or to one-on-one man coverage where the receiver made the DB look foolish. I can't even count on two hands how many blown coverages there were by the Cardinals, and all the talk on sports radio around here is how they have the worst secondary in football. Not to mention about every time Newton threw into double coverage or tried to fit the ball in tight coverage he overthrew it or wasn't close. He had 2 picks (the one called back was one of the worst roughing the passer calls I've ever seen) and didn't have any "wow" moments. His longest completions were mostly YAC from Smith (who torches the Cardinals every time it seems). I will say he did play better than I anticipated, and I don't think he'll be a bust, but he isn't the next big thing at QB.

7. fuzzyl0gic

Jesus you're a homer. No "wow" moments? The 77 yard first TD pass to Smith wasn't "wow"? I'll go back and watch the game and see if you're 90% completion rate to "receivers that were either uncovered without a defender within 5 yards or to one-on-one man coverage where the receiver made the DB look foolish (WTF, really? Better take away every reception by every WR who has made a DB look foolish in one-on-one man coverage. How many of Brady's yards would be erased?)" is even remotely close. Somehow I think it isn't. I don't think being at the game gave you special observing capabilities I couldn't see in 1080i.

8. fuzzyl0gic

Do you really think Cam Newton faced the worst secondary that any rookie has ever faced in the NFL in the first game? Start showing me some evidence for that before you even attempt to reach a rational conclusion. He.broke.a.record.

9. Bl0ndeRedHead

I'm an Eagles fan, my brother had tickets

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

No, which is why I think he's decent, just not worthy of all the hype ESPN is giving him. But I've been searching for the Panthers YAC for that game and can't find it. My only point is that he had plenty of help from his receivers, and the Cardinals secondary. He did not have ONE throw where I went "wow only the top QBs in the league make that throw"

11. fuzzyl0gic

That still doesn't help your terribly presented argument.

12. Bl0ndeRedHead

How is that a "wow" moment? Broken coverage where Steve Smith was wide the fuck open. I could have made that throw, Jamarcus Russell could have made that throw.

13. fuzzyl0gic

I can agree with you there, and I don't give two shits about ESPN hype. I was listening to the Patriots/Dolphins game on the radio, and they even mentioned it a few times. I think all this media hype is not really what we need as a team right now...but it is nice to be given some credit after being shat on by the media and everyone else the past couple of years. There is so much excitement in this city; we were 2-14 last year with NO hope. We're starting to think maybe, just maybe, our GM isn't a total idiot.

14. fuzzyl0gic

It made me go "wow". I'd love to see you try to make that throw, that is asinine.

15. Bl0ndeRedHead

The hype I'm talking about is watching Chris Berman's highlight segment tonight and for the Cardinals-Panthers game they show two Cam Newton highlights, or watching Sportscenter and only seeing Cam Newton, or listening to a radio update and hearing "Cam Newton blah blah blah oh the Cards won 28-21", not Peterson's punt return TD that won the game, not a sight of Kolb (who had a QB rating 20 points higher than Newton btw)

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

It's an exaggeration. If you're a QB in the NFL and you can't make that throw, you won't be in the league long.

17. fuzzyl0gic

It's because of exptectations. Coming into that game, name me one person who you wouldn't call crazy that would predict Cam was capable of something like that. Judging from the preseason, people were saying he may of even regressed by the end of it;he doesn't have the accuracy, etc. He blew everyone's expectations out of the water, hence the coverage.

Everyone has seen Kolb start 7 games, they know what he is capable of. It is known that Carolina's DT/CB position is the weakest link on defense. Jon Beason fucking fell to the ground on one play, which gave Jeff King a free TD. Kolb doing well against that unit was no surprise.

18. Bl0ndeRedHead

King had already caught that and was at the 25 yard line 10 yards ahead of Beason when he fell with blown achilles. And all the sharps and experts around the internet and for NFL Network were saying Kolb would be a bust for the Cardinals, that he wasn't that good, and he showed he'll be capable of taking this team to a division title if the defense steps up.

19. fuzzyl0gic

With that weak ass division, yeah, it wouldn't be hard.

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

Well the Rams will most likely start 1-6 with their schedule, and the Niners and Seahawks looked like two pieces of shit playing football yesterday, so I think Arizona should be the favorite.

21. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

22. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Way too much Cam Netwon hate from Blonde. Any rookie who was bashed as not being NFL ready to start in his first game and pass for over 400 yards should be praised and hyped by the media. You act like he was playing against Sisters of the Poor University and not an NFL caliber defense. I hope Cam does well this season but to try and downplay a record setting performance like that just makes you look like a hater.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Bl0ndeRedHead

lol at the people who think I wasn't just trying to get fuzzy all up in arms and defending his team

• Like Like x 1
  24. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

so basically lol @ Natural?

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

And you.