Cap Book 2.0 BETA version

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, here is a link to a different way to look at the capbook:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...LbkmadG5BaFFuWE9GdC10ODl5Q0NTZjBhQmc&hl=en_US

Here is a link to a ROUGH rulebook (still in progress):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...Epf_T_vMHe24wmn_oo3aTSE/edit?authkey=CLXsveMC

It is still VERY rough....so bear with me.

I still probably need some feedback, but I am working on this as a result of hearing some rumors that all the wonderful additions to offline franchise mode....won't make it to online. No cap, in other words. I realize XFN is working on their own cap system, and I don't know if their setup will work with Madden 12. If it does and we like it, go for it. But here are the major changes to capbook 2.0:

1. No more modifiers based on position. Completely eliminating the concept. This would make it a lot easier for position changes if we decide to keep that in Madden 12.

2. Contracts - yup, I am working out contracts. Contracts can go from 1-4 years, and have limits on how many of each type of contract on each team (cannot have more than X 4-year deals, X 3-year deals, etc.). Contracts are also paid out in percentages each year based on the contract length. I put the percentage on the master stats tab of the "new" cap book.

3. No more partial payouts for TE/FB/K/P: you pay based on overall and contract length. You want the elite kicker, you pay for him.

4. No more maximum base salary payout. It has been eliminated to allow contract payouts to go higher up based on contract lengths.

5. Base salary and bonus minimums increase. With no modifier, I boosted the minimums to try to fall in line with the different attitude around contracts.

The idea behind this is to be more realistic, and easier for owners to grasp. However, it will be a bitch for cap guys. I'm not gonna lie - there's a lot of work involved with different formulas for each contract length, making sure contracts are correct, and maximum amounts of contracts are correct.

I only have the master stat sheet and the Chargers cap book. Look it over and if you have any ideas that I might be able to incorporate, I'll try to and make it easy.

Or maybe this is not easy at all. Not entirely sure.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

this is the problem about the K/P/Te, is the initial set up will drive up the capbook. I agree if you want a K or TE in fa's, then pay full price, but we need to figure out how to compensate for initial set up.

I like the changes though.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, if you look at the Chargers book I put in, both of their special teamers are expensive (both are 90+ overalls I believe) and I think the only reason they drove the price up a good bit is the way the contracts fell. What I did is just alternated between 4/3/2/1 year contracts throughout the roster. They fell into the 2 and 1 year contracts (which are higher cap hits).

Ideally, it would be nice to have that cushion for those specialty players, but there are some teams that pay crazy money to kickers. Punters, not so much.

Also, I want a limit on 4 year contracts and 3 year contracts as far as a maximum. Another thing I want to do with this capbook is allow the owners to choose who get the contracts. With stipulations of course, based on the top 20 overall chart (which would still be used).

Basically, on initial setup, you would get five 4 year contracts to put on any 5 players you want. You'd get X amount of 3 year contracts (X because I have not really come up with a definite number yet for initial setup), but only 5 of those could be used on your top 20 players. 2 year contracts would be the same type of setup (X amount to use, but only 5 can be used on your top 20 players).

My general thought is to have each team have 5 of their top 20 players each year come up for free agency. Once I get the general idea behind the structure of cash and contracts ironed out, I'll figure out about resigning guys and what not.

I want a limit on the high end contracts for a few reasons: to limit people just doing high year deals for cap relief and to enable high end player free agency.

The breakdown I came up with (again, all very prelim thoughts):

Ten 4 year deals maximum per team
    Ten 3 year deals maximum per team
    Fifteen 2 year deals maximum per team
    Fifty-five 1 year deals maximum per team

Basically, I want a lot of low end movement and resigning of players, but limit the ability to pay out big contracts to high end free agent players. I'm open to suggestions, though.

4. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Win,

I know this sounds tough to do, but could we create a scale based on OVRs for each position?

My reasoning is that a starting QB with a ranking of 80+ is probably making more than a 90+ OVR LBs (or insert position). Skill positions should cost more (QB, HB, WR.)

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

About the only way I would know how to do it (using what little knowledge I have of excel) would be doing something similar to what we did this capbook for TEs/FB/K/P and multiply formula by a set number of some kind.

Could possibly also make the formula check for where it is being used and adjusting accordingly, but I'd have to test that and see if I could make it work.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Also, if you guys see me on AIM and can get on Google Docs, we can chat there and you guys can give me input as I tinker online. If you want to that is.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, inputted KO's feedback about differentiating skill position players.

What I did is took QB, HB, WR, LB, CB and multiplied their total contract by an additional 2. So if you pay out 1 million in base salary and 1 million in bonus over a 4 year deal to a MLB. That is 8 million dollars, which would multiply by 2 (as a LB) to 16 million. THEN the formula for years remaining kicks in using the new total salary payout over the length of the contract.

So, to summarize:

-QB, HB, WR, LB, CB all make DOUBLE what their contract payout should be. These I consider the "skill position" players that usually make more than average anyway. Elite level players in all these areas will be getting paid roughly the same, so it will be up to contract lengths and what year the contract is in for payout (shorter contracts pay less in the short term than a long term deal in the last year of itself, which is very realistic).

-All OLine, Dline, S are normal contract payout. These guys fall in line between the two extremes.

-TEs/FBs are reduced to 50% of what their contract payout is. This made the TEs/FBs cap number a bit more digestable and realistic to real life salary cap sets (Gates made about 5 million in salary as a hit in 2010, I think he's getting about 4.5 with a full contract on my book).

-K and P are reduced to 25% of what their contract payout is. You will still be paying an assload for an elite K or P, but it's a lot less than before.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think the best way to do contracts at the start would be the following:

Five four-year deals, which can be allocated to your top 20 players. These will be your guys you are building the team around, in theory. Guys you don't plan on trading at all. You will be allowed a maximum of seven 4-year contracts at any time (allowing you to sign 2 long term FAs at a cheaper rate throughout the franchise). Trust me - this is a balancing issue and we have to keep the 4 year contracts VERY low, as it will drastically unbalance teams that offer these contracts as the first year cap number is lower than all other contracts, giving the illusion of a lot of cap space when in reality you are going to not have any room later on.

Seven three-year deals at the start, of which 5 of those 7 can go to your top 20 players at the start of franchise. You would be allowed a maximum of 12 of these three year deals at maximum for a team. Again, for balancing reasons.

Ten two-year deals at the start, of which 5 of them can go to your top 20 players at the start of the franchise. You would be allowed a maximum of 20 of these at any time during the franchise. These contracts are not as unbalanced as the longer ones, with a 40/60 split, so I don't foresee any issues with capbook raping for these contracts as you would not get much out of it.

That leaves the remaining contracts to be 1 year deals.

Now, you may ask why the gap between what we start with and what the maximum is?

Simple: negotiations for end of season.

Of the 5 1-year deals to the top 20 players on a squad (at the end of year 1), 2 of those can be negotiated into long term deals (similar to the mandatory cuts we use now, only now it's not mandatory, the contract is done). Three of the players in the top 20 will test FA and cannot be resigned.

With as many 1 year contracts as we will have expiring at the end of the season, we can allow teams to negotiate with their own players a new deal UP to 48 players (leaving room for the draft). Any players not negotiated with on new deals go into FA.

This idea will force teams to analyze their own talent, and put a premium on their talent versus opening up cash for FA and leaving a long term deal available (which means more dollars for a player, which means more chance that player will sign with you).

Also, with draft picks now getting a long term deal out of the gate, trading picks may be MORE likely (as teams with maximum 4 year contracts would have to trade a player or the pick if they get a top 10 pick) among the top picks. Choosing how to use those long term contracts will be key, as you have so few of them to throw around, you have to choose wisely.

This limit on long term deals also (hopefully) will lock down on a lot of players coming in the last year of a long term deal and putting a team in cap hell, which can happen if teams do not manage their budgets and cap well (which we KNOW would happen, it always does).

Long winded, but that is the general idea I have right now.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Another interesting concept that could be introduced is holdouts. With contracts, the contract stays locked for the duration of the deal. So if a player were to progress, their dollar value would NOT go up as it does now. Unless they are no longer under contract, they get paid what they get paid.

Unless....they see significant growth.

My idea with this is fairly simple I think: If a player progresses during his contract to a point where he goes up 2 pay grades, that player will "hold out" for a new contract to pay him what he is worth. The team must re-sign the player to a new deal at his current overall, OR trade him to another team, who will then have to do the same type of deal.

Just like our current setup, veterans who regress would see their contract stay the same as well.

Cap hits could also take place over years as well. So if a team cuts a player with a 3 year deal, they would pay the bonus as a cap hit for 3 years. OR....they could pay it as a lump sum 1 year penalty. So if I cut a player with a 3 year deal with 1 million in bonus per year, I could pay the 1 million over 3 years, or pay the 3 million at once and be done after 1 year. The catch - decision must be made at time of cut.

Trades, with this setup, could do a simple 1 year hit of the entirety of the bonus payout to the player based on years of deal (using example above, if I trade that player, I would have to pay the lump sum 3 million bonus as a hit to trade, and it would come off the books in a year).

Gives owners a lot more tactical flexibility without penalizing new owners who come in and take over old teams, I think. Best of both worlds.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

An interesting thing comes up when I did a "default" team setup as I listed above.

My current Chargers team I used have a cap of about 90 million bucks. I reduced the actual cap to 120 million and made their cap space about 30 million. That is with full length contracts ready to go.

If I were to reduce all their contracts to the last year of the deal, the cap shoots up to about 150-160 million.

So, IF we have to use our own cap again, and IF we try this out, we have to be VERY clear and on point with our examples and what not.

If we decide to go this route (which I can get some other teams and try them out to see how it works out to see if it is feasible), and have to go this route, I can start tinkering up a ruleset for it in the next few weeks to prep for Madden 12. They hopefully will announce all online functionality for franchise by then, so we can find out if this will be a necessity or not.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Link to a new cap rulebook added to the top post right under the 2.0 beta linked book.

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bump - combined our current capbook rulebook with my new ideas for Capbook 2.0. New link is in first post.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bump - I think I'm pretty much finished with the capbook as we could use it in Madden 12.

I have finished up the ruleset and sample book for the Chargers. I have also color coordinated the two different "caps" I have in place to balance spending.

If there is no alternative to using it, I would personally put forth that we announce it following this season and start getting with our owners to get them up to speed so that whenever we fire up the new franchises, they are ready and prepared to go.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bump - ALL teams are now in the capbook, along with the tester Chargers cap so everyone can see how it will work for starters. EVERY team page has a copy of the formula to figure out each year's cap hit for a 4 year, 3 year, 2 year, and 1 year deal. So all you have to do is copy the proper formula based on the contract length, paste it in the cap hit field, and there ya go. Simple and straightforward.