Cap book feedback - Idea for simplification

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, the root word of simplification is "simplify", which is Nate's word of the day.

So I was chatting in OMFL Blast chat and Gaddy brought up a point I hadn't honestly thought of regarding modifiers.

We lock modifiers twice with this thought process: once during the offseason to allow trades and such, and then, after we go to week 1 of the new season for the entire season.

I hadn't thought about it, since I feel that every team should be paying starter money to every position. BUT Gaddy shined a different look on it which I hadn't thought of and felt stupid for not thinking of.

Contracts typically don't go up during the season. They go up usually during the offseason (via extensions and the like). If a guy were to cut a player who was the starter, his backup (now the starter) would not go up in modifier. He would stay the same until the offseason (when progression/regression would carry him up).

To those (like me) who might want starter pay at all positions, let me remind you: if a team cuts a starter level player to play a backup, if they go to sign in free agency any player whose overall is higher than the current "starter", they have to pay that modifier. And position changes would force bumps of position modifiers as rules are now.

This would simplify the cap book tremendously while not allowing any loopholes, I don't think. It makes sense and makes the book easier for all to get a hold of since modifiers won't be in flux all season as they are now.

This would mean modifiers would change ONLY during the following times:
    1. After progression/regression
    2. After draft-before new season

What do you guys think?

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I am definitely in favor of this. It cuts out just about half of the number crunching during in-season free agency, adds and drops

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Honestly my brain if fried after service tonight, so it's whatever is the best, easiest to understand solution.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Hail Gaddy!!!

Makes sense and is easier. Lets roll with it!!!

5. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Sounds like a good plan to me

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Also, key thing to point out: modifiers still do NOT go down ever unless the player is cut and resigned. So with these adjusting/locked modifiers, cap guys and owners have to remember that modifiers will NEVER go down unless a cut/resign takes place.

7. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

So it deals with when a player gets cut during the season, his backup would not have a modifier raise. Also, with position changes, if a player moves to a new position, and the new starter/previous backup does not have a modifier raise. And as for players getting traded, they do not change modifiers on their new team regardless of depth chart spot.

Is all that correct?

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

One thing I did not take into account was position changes. However, if we roll this out with another proposal, that "the offseason is the ONLY time you can do position changes. Owners have until after the draft to finalize all position changes. Once the cap guys lock in modifiers for season start, no more position changes unless injuries dictate so."

Otherwise, no, they do not change modifiers when trading or getting cut during the season. So basically this rewards teams for making trades during the season as they may free up modifiers to use on free agents they need.

I like it. Simplifies position changes, modifiers, and keeps it real.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I know it's only been a few hours, but here is how the modifier rules should work (along with position changes):

Modifiers are changed after progression/regression. They can be moved up, but not down. After progression/regression, modifiers are locked to allow for trading and cuts to occur as well as drafting players.

During this timeframe after progression/regression, position changes are allowed. All position changes must fit into the guidelines per position, and all rules for starter modifiers will apply once modifiers "unlock" temporarily before the offseason ends (which is after the draft). After the offseason ends, position changes cannot be made unless injury dictates a need to change position.

After the drafting of players, modifiers are altered as needed (always moving up as needed, never down), and the season begins. Once the season begins, NO changes to modifiers are allowed. If a starter modifier player is cut, the modifier does not move up to the new starter (as they do now). Free agent bidding must follow modifiers based on overall (meaning if a player in free agency is a #1 player based on overall on your team, you bid him at the starter modifier).

What do you guys think? I don't know if I worded it well enough, but this is what we are thinking and I think it simplifies, makes sense, and makes it a whole lot easier on everyone.

10. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

that's beautiful man

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

About to roll with this for offseason preparation.

12. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

this is one bump that needs to be done

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

We are doing that now. Just need to update cap book rules to show it.