Cap Book Simplification Plan

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Cap Book Simplification Plan

Okay, now that we've seen it sort of in action, I'm going to list point by point ways we can simplify the plan that shouldn't be too terribly drastic, save one. Some of these are ideas already stated, so if you see it repeated, I want to put all the ideas here that we have had. Most of these will be my ideas though. Each is numbered so you can easily say which ones you like and which ones you don't like. Get ready, this might be a long one. :)

1. Minimum base salary/bonuses and maximum base salary: I won't restate the chart here unless asked to, but I like the idea of setting a base salary "ceiling" that cannot be passed. That forces teams to use bonuses more, which means more cap hits and more strategy in bidding than we currently have set up.

2. Cap hits: We need to simplify cap hits. So my proposal for that is very simple: whatever the player's bonus is that he is paid, that is your cap hit. No multiplier. Just the base bonus you're paying out. Simple. Right now it's base bonus times the modifier. Trim it down.

3. Modifiers: Okay, I must admit the current rules make it fair, but do make it complicated. So I propose the following:

Modifiers can go UP if a player progresses or a team trades away the guy above him on the depth chart, moving him up. A modifier can go DOWN ONLY if a player is signed/traded to the team which would cause that player to move down the depth chart.

If a player regresses to fall down the depth chart, their modifier does NOT fall. If a player does not lose any overall value yet falls down the depth chart, though, simplify it: he loses some money as a result.

This will honestly not break any cap books to do this, and would make it easier to figure out for owners and cap guys. I was against this at first, but the more I think about it, the better an idea this is.

Simplicity for this: Cap books are organized by overall by position. Unless a veteran regresses in the offseason, the modifiers stay put. The players adjust to their new setup.

Addendum to #3: Also, if a FA is signed, their modifier they signed for stays as well.

4. Cap Book Overall: Here comes the radical idea I talked about earlier. Ready? Here goes:

Cap book ownership is the responsibility of the cap book board members. Owners are required to post changes to their roster, whether through trade, cut, signings, but are NOT required to post any numbers involved in those transactions. The cap guys log the transaction, then report to the owner the new value of the team and whether they are over/under cap. The owner is ONLY responsible for making sure that the players are paid correctly, are logged with correct modifiers, and are responsible for taking care of over cap issues when reported. Otherwise, they just coach and play.

This puts more onus on the cap book guys to get this thing updated and accurate all the time. With 2 1/2 guys doing the cap book (I include myself as a 1/2 guy), this can be done where it could not before. Take some of this complication off the owners and put it on your board members. At least while we educate them on HOW this stuff works.

This allows owners to still be a part of the cap book, but in a role much like a coach would be in the NFL (that does not also wear a GM hat). It would force them to take action when cap books are bad, but would not force them to monitor and figure every transaction unless they are close to the cap limit.

Reason for change: This was an idea thrown in from input from an owner or two I talked to. However, this puts a lot on the cap book crew, which right now are as confused as the rest of us. Myself as designer included. Let's all be confused together for now.
    :)

5. Overall Simplification: I'll try my best to tone down the rules. A lot of the cap book's thickness is charts, so I will put those in separate areas as a separate document. I will then work on simplifying the rulebook IF you guys think some of these ideas here will help.

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I like these ideas win. They do simplifiy and honestly that might be what we need right now. I hear a lot of confusion from guys and find myself explaining things daily in lamens terms.

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I really like this Win, it solves multiple problems and streamlines it for everyone. I vote yes

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Also, to add to my previous stuff:

6. Links: Wowsers, I just looked at the OMFL Rulebook, and each section that involves anything cap related links to the BIG cap book document. Had I bothered to look at that, I may could have separated the capbook into segments pertinent to each section of the rulebook.

I will work on that today as I have time and get that situated. That way when someone clicks a link to the rulebook for Injured Reserve, for example, they get JUST the injured reserve rules.

That may help a little in the confusion factor, especially for new owners (which is what we always need to make sure we can handle).

5. wajomatik

So I guess I need to go back and redo everyones cap hits?

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

No.

With this simplification plan, we will grandfather all previous cuts as part of the "old" rules.

When we start week 1, we institute these new rules in the hopes of simplifying for next season.

Cap hits are wiped after one year anyway, so owners who might gripe about their cap hits being higher than they should be under new rules will only gripe for a year. Then everyone is on level ground again.

7. wajomatik

Well then Im going to keep working on all the books using the modifiers in the cap hits until this gets posted. In other words anything that has been posted will be entered using the old rules.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I like it all except for the last part. We are NOT asking a lot for owners to do what I do in my team management thread. If there is a mistake made and the owner isn't posting numbers, it makes it much harder to understand. I say keep that last part the same.

9. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Great ideas Win

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That's fine. I knew that one would be the "radical" one since we encourage our owners to be active with their caps and the like.

However, might I suggest that once we get board members (myself included) up to snuff on how the cap works, each board member is assigned a division to answer questions/help new owners into the league?

Sort of like a "big brother"?

11. natedawg212000

Win and I talked and we will NOT do his last part. I let him make the call. Everything as far as posting stays as is.

12. natedawg212000

I will plug this into my post that will go up in ONE hour

13. wajomatik

Let them keep track of thier numbers but I dont think we need them to post the entire book in the management thread. Just as long as they post transactions, cuts, and signings. And of course updated Team Cap, Under Cap, and Cap hits in each thread

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

They will continue to do that, Wajy. Everything as far as owner participation is staying. I am highlighting in the original post what will NOT be used as part of our simplification plan in a color to be determined. lol

15. natedawg212000

the reason i made them do it the way i do it, is it becomes super easy for you guys to track and see mistakes. You can't lie, when you look at my team management thread, its super easy to understand what I just done to my team.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

OK, not to be a boob, but you guys really REALLY need to wait until people on the West Coast get up and have a chance to repsond to things on here. This would be like me posting a rule change at 11pm Pacific (2am eastern) and expecting everybody to respond quickly.

I think cap hits should ALWAYS be bonus time multiplier. We need to punish guys who try to release bad FA signings or high rated players. I am strongly against changing this.

For multipliers simply state this:

-Multipliers may never decrease, unless the player is released into Free Agency.

17. wajomatik

I agree with Dunlap on cap hits. We cant change it now its too late, maybe next season but not now.

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

All right. We'll leave cap hits alone then. They stay exactly the same.

19. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I'll use that wording for modifiers. That will simplify it I think for everyone.

And to try to lighten up the mood a bit, we can't help that we have West Coast bias. Move closer to the normal people, Dunlap. ;)

20. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok for Modifiers here would be the rule, as I would place it in the rulebook.

1) Modifiers are only changes and set on how rosters are ordered during Week 1 of each season. They will not change again. until Week 1 of the following season.

2) All free agent signees will assume the contract and multiplier form the winning bid.

3) Modifiers will never decrease, unless a player is cut into Free Agency.

-----------------

Any issues with this?

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

None at all. I'll make the changes. I have your #2 and #3 points in the book, not #1 though. I do like it.

EDIT: Now that I start to edit it, though, how do you mean by #1 statement? Is this referring to position changes?