Cap Hits for Mandatory Cuts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BadaBing319, Nov 23, 2010.

1. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Hey guys, good discussion in the chat room last night about all this money being thrown around. Guys were mentioning the fact that there should be some sort of rule to prevent teams dropping big $$ on a player in free agency only to use him as a mandatory cut the following off-season with no cap hit. I believe this year, the mandatory cuts were allowed to go without taking any hit. Any thoughts on changing that in year 2? I tend to agree with the sentiment that there should be something to prevent people from making one year deals for huge money and then cutting them for free as a mandatory release.

Just a placeholder for discussion...

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

the problem is that doesn't fix too much, because if they drop them before the start of the playoffs they can take the hit that season and still basically get rid of the player for free. kinda like a june 1st nfl cut. i am open to suggestions, i think the worry is that cap hits are going to sky rocket if we force 3 top 20 cuts and to carry those cap hits.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I do not think there is a way around it. If they want to go around renting players for one year let them. It will eventually bite them in the butt.

4. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

there was some kind of thing they were talkin about also if u sign a play in FA u keep them for 2 years or something? we would just have to keep track of who was signed and list them

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, there is ANOTHER option....

We do only 2 mandatory cuts based on top 20. One over and one under the average of the top 20 overall players. Hold on.....give me a minute to finish....lol

Then we have the cutdown to 48, like this year. One exception: one of those cuts to 48 HAS to be a guy on the top 20 overall.

Same cuts, same actions, different cap hits as a result. Still cutting 3 of the top 20 based on average, just one of those guys is now a cap hit instead of cap free.

How does that sit?

6. natedawg212000

I think we are confusing a already very complicated system. go back to the point - is this really really worth it? imo, no. system needs to be realistic and SIMPLE. we always seem to over complicate things way too much in an effort to make things more realistic.

7. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

I agree - realistic but simple is a good way to go. The real question i guess is does anyone see this as a problem - guys being signed for huge money and able to be cut for no cap hit at the end of 1 season. If not, this is a dead issue.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I personally see no problem with it. There will be loopholes no matter how we look at it. Without true contracts and the like, the system is what it is. It has flaws. But if a guy signs a premium player and hopes he is still in the top 20 at the end of the year, go for it. I hope it works. But when it doesn't, don't cry to me "foul". It's a strategy in planning for cap money that, I think, is dumb, but viable.

9. natedawg212000

personally i dont see it as a huge issue, but i can be talked one way or the other. imo i dont want more confusion

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Leave it as is imo, everyone has the same chance opp to bid on guys and spend huge money if they want too. If you choose not too there is / was a ton of value in the FA this season player wise and many good players that can be added for realistic salaries.

Most of those players that got huge bucks also left huge holes on some of those teams that signed them, so rather then filling out a roster with solid players they might have some solid players and a huge star or two and then some turds....its a choice on how to run a team and i like that about it.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It's almost like the real thing....lol