Cap Penalties for Next Season

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So everyone knows where they stand, I am posting this.

[​IMG]

2. Keller

Also the salary cap is at 125million, unless we decide to raise it again next season.

I have a feeling, some teams are going to be in trouble with 37million cap penalties next season and such.

3. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

shouldnt trades during last years draft have been cap penalties on the year we are just finishing?

4. Keller

Here is how cap penalties are calculated. I'm adding this to the rules now so we don't lose it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. Keller

Yours would be easy to track since you only have a 40k penalty. What trade are you thinking its from?

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

its not, it is from cutting someone. I just thought trades and such done during the last draft would have been a cap penalty this current season and not the next, maybe it waits until the next year...

7. Keller

What are you basing that off of? Are you just assuming that the trades didn't hit this years cap? Certainly we can manually make sure that, that is the case for the upcoming season but the penalties that are currently there are probably unavoidable at this point.

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

ya it looks like the trades from the previous draft, didnt hit season 2 cap. They are going to hit season 3. Otherwise all cap penalties should be falling off now at the end of the year. They are paid all at once.

9. Keller

I asked what are you basing that off of?

10. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

XFN?... The roster breakdowns. it says cap penalties for next year, well there shouldnt be any yet for next year I wouldnt think, so any cuts or trades that happened this season are applying to next season. That, and if you go on the roster breakdown screen where it shows team salary, cap room, and cap penalty, the cap penalty shown isnt factored in. Atleast it isnt yet in GMFL, so I am thinknig that cap penalty from season 2 is applying season 3.

11. Keller

Any cuts/trades made during Season 2 will have penalties that apply to season 3. I guess I'm missing something but that makes perfect sense to me?

As far as the cap penalty not being factored in, I don't think I would expect it to be. Its just showing what value is in the penalites that are being carried over. The real question is when do they get applied, if at all, or do we have to apply them manually. If we do have to apply them manually, then obviously you're line of thinking is correct - its just a matter of what do we do about it.

Hopefully BobJr or Emmdotfrisk can clarify.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I thought normally when you cut a guy, you had to suffer his contract that year. There is a cutoff date at some time, but I thought it was after the draft. So any trades we do this offseason wont be a cap penalty until season 4 and not season 3.

13. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I have felt that we already paid the cap penalty this year before the trade could happen. I was in a situation with my cap in which I was unable to make the trade because of the cap penalty. I had to eat the whole cap penalty prior to trading.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

That is why we weren't able to do the deal of Clay Matthews and Dumervil because he couldn't take the cap penalty associated with it for this season, as well as a couple other deals, so this makes me confused as to why were paying them for next season too, when we have to pay them for this year too.

15. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

Titans have a cap penalty from ...Trading CJ correct?

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

no not yet, the CJ cap penalty wont show up until season 4, we are about to start season 3. There was a previous Titans owner, he may have released some players or did some trades...

17. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. The way the team was in tact made me think it had been CPU controlled the entire time as pretty much everybody from Titans original roster is still around but you are right about releasing players. So maybe that's what its from

18. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Trying to figure out how I have 27 million, I know I get a hit for Champ Bailey and the few other deals I've done so hopefully Champ retires and I wont have to pay the Cap penalty

19. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Noooooooo!

20. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Thats because no one fixed the signing bonus when it was brought up they were jacked up

21. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Well either way I should be fine with cap room, I'm not really worried about it.

22. Keller

Anyone that was traded or cut that had a signing bonus - all of that bonus gets accelerated to your cap penalty. Tebow is one of them, but it shouldn't be huge. Any other big guys you traded - DJ Williams I think?

23. Keller

I fixed the ones I knew about - like Hasslebeck and couple others I think.

24. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Yeah Champ had a huge signing bonus I believe and Tebow had a signing bonus, but other than those three no big guys that I traded looking back. If Champ retires am I still gonna be on the hook for his cap penalty?

25. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

The other issue is that all season 1 and 2 deals are lumped together this year as penalties because of the late move to XFN. Otherwise, all season 1 trades and releases shouldve gone on Season 2 cap