Cap Raising - Opinions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Cap Raising - Opinions

Okay, I did some progressions in offline franchise mode with my Lions and did the upgrades to my stats on an offline capbook.

I did this in five separate progressions.

On average in those 5 progressions, my cap room reduced by 10 million dollars. This is after I took the cap hits off, so my average cap room (after cap penalties are taken off) is about 38 million dollars.

This is before I do offseason cuts.

Right now I have, after cap hits are removed, just under 50 million in cap space (49.875 is official I believe).

With this in mind, I would suggest a small cap increase to allow for progressions. I would suggest each year we increase the cap by 5 million dollars. This keeps in line with NFL salary cap progression (which ups by a few million each year for inflation purposes), and isn't so crazy as to allow a lot of stupid cap space available to the lower tier teams (like myself). With the increase in the cap I propose, I'd have, on average, 43 million to spend on FA before my obligatory cuts. After those cuts (I've been planning in case you can't tell lol), I'll have about 50 million to spend.

Considering my talent pool I have versus others, that's not crazy.

I anticipate the average cap space will be in the 20-25 million dollar range. That's enough to bid on good talent in most cases.

So, in short, raise cap 5 million. What do you guys think?

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Admittedly, when I had the Colts, I was very worried about the cap ceiling not increasing. A small $5 million increase should be ok for them and not too much for everyone else. see what Jeremy has to say about them though.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

I personally think we should wait 1 year before raising the cap to allow those teams who are 40-80 million under catch up. I already have a butt load of cap room with the Jags, so on a selfish front I wouldn't mind the extra space, I could go bonkers in FA...lol.

But in looking out for what's best for the league, I think leaving it the same is preferrable.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

One thing I want to point out to those that are talking about free agency.....

Let's say there is a 95 overall player out there. The minimum bid is 3 million base salary, 1 million bonus.

Let's say he is a wide receiver (3 modifier). I'm gonna use the Vishal rule, along with the minimum bonus I can pay him.

9 million dollars (max base salary I can pay) + 1 million bonus x 3 modifier = 27 million dollars

Take the modifier to a starting left tackle (5) and that is 50 million dollars. For one player.

I don't think 5 million is overdoing it, especially considering these kind of numbers as a baseline. Because you KNOW people will stupidly overspend, even with warnings I will put up like this one for those that may not think about it.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Remember, we now have my table to use in Free Agency where salary's will be capped and only bonuses can really get out of control!

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Great idea by the way. That is something I never thought about capping was base salary. Makes a lot of sense though. Now if you want a guy, be willing to pay the piper if you have to cut him! Unless he's a top 20 cut....lol

We still need to be discussing the offseason now that it's week TEN already. Wow, where does time go?

What problems/hiccups/issues do you foresee coming? PLEASE go worst case scenario with these thoughts.

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

I know one thing that needs to be done very badly...that is updating all of the rule books and cap books to reflect our current rules and structure. There are still some major discrepancies that can are sure to confuse our newer owners especially.

Since I'm a responsibility down right now, I'll go ahead and work on this over the next couple of weeks. I just need the passwords and such to all of the google doc accounts where I can edit.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The cap rulebook I can give you access to when I get home. Just need an email address.

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

All cap documents you should be able to edit now Dunlap.

Let me know if you can what you change too so I can know what wasn't changed before. If that makes sense....lol