Capbook/Position Change Clarification

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by saintsdave75, Oct 3, 2010.

1. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Capbook/Position Change Clarification

My bad if this shouldn't be posted here. I was going over Arizona's cap book and was wondering about this rule regarding position changes:

"All players who move positions take on the #1 modifier of their new position."

Coach west moved Schofeild, a ROLB, to his #3 MLB and Howard, a RE, to his #2 LOLB. So based on that rule, these two guys would take the modifier of the starter (3) even if they did not in fact move into a starting position. Is that correct?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Yes. Plus the guys that were under Howard & Schofield in thier original position depth chart get bumped up in modifier as they move up in the depth chart.

3. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

So, then, any player who changed position should be using the modifier of the starter even if they are not starting, right? I ask because there are certain teams in the capbook whose changed-position players are still using a modifier of 1 though.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The way I understood the rule (and I could be wrong) was that you only had to state a position change if the player changing would become the starter over the current person holding position. If the player would be a backup on the depth chart, they would NOT have to be stated UNLESS something happened to the starter (injury) that would force the backup to be the starter.

Let me know if I am understanding this right. Because I have a few players that I have on my depth chart in the #2 and #3 spots that would have to be changed out if my understanding of the rule is incorrect.

Also, I would like to reiterate that I dislike the position change rule anyway. lol

5. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I agree with Win I thought they took on what ever modifier according to if they were starting or not. Now if you move a player who is already starting at one position to a backup slot they keep the starter modifier. Also if a player is forced to start due to injury they shouldnt get a raise.

6. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

the 3 teams I see discrepancies with in the capbook are Cardinals (tons of position changes), Ravens (applied for position changes but this is not reflected in the capbook), and Bengals (I didn't see this in the position change thread, but the capbook has their FS and SS position-changed)

7. Jeremy

You are correct Winuvas. Only exception is of your moving a player to your #2 DT,MLB or CB they would recieve the #1 Depth Chart Mods.

Dave, if you have time give me a quick list of the changes you have in question and I will look at them real quick.

Also, some changes that were applied for were eventually decided against by the owners after they understood how much it would cost them. The Ravens were one of them that decided not to change positions.

8. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

OK, that clears up the Ravens then.

The Bengals have FS Crocker at SS and that one is fine with the modifiers. It's the SS Ndukwe, who was moved to #2 FS. So should his modifier be 2 (starting FS) or 1 (#2 FS, his actual spot in the depth chart)?

The Cardinals stuff will take a bit to get together.

9. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Cardinals:

TE Becht to FB (not in the capbook, possible owner decided against doing this)

MLB Washington to #1 ROLB (this one looks ok)

MLB Hayes to #1 MLB (this one looks ok)

ROLB Porter to #1 MLB (this happened after the Hayes move, it looks ok)

These are the 2 I had the most concern about:

ROLB Schofield to #3 MLB (based on the rule, his modifier should be 3)

RE Howard to #2 LOLB (based on the rule, his modifier should be 3)

I just wasn't sure if Schofield and Howard should have the modifiers of a starter of their position (which would be 3(or the modifiers of their actual spot on the depth chart (which would be 1)

10. Jeremy

No.Ndukwe at the #2 FS spot is ok. No change in mods.

11. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

is this figured out?

12. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

The Cardinals stuff is straightened out.

Jeremy, I know you told me earlier, but bear with me, I seem to forget why the Bengal's FS does not get the #1 modifier of his new position. this is what the rule states:

"All players who move positions take on the #1 modifier of their new position."

So, wouldn't Ndukwe, who moved from SS to #2 FS, still get the #1 modifier of 3 even if he is FS #2?

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Reason he doesn't change modifiers is he's a backup. If he has to become a starter for any reason, then the modifiers would change because he is playing out of position. Backups for positions can be out of position, but starters from other positions cannot have backup modifiers.

Does that make sense?

14. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

So should that rule be re-worded? To say that they take the modifier of the new spot on the depth chart they or taking or their old modifier, whichever is higher?

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Could be more clearly worded to state that only players that change positions to STARTER or BACKUP NON-1 modifier spots take on the starter modifier.

16. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Crap, now I re-confused myself with the Cardinals situation. Why would Schofeild and Howard take the modifier of 3 then? They were never starters at either position?

17. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

OK, this has now been straightened out. I would still suggest a re-wording of the position change rule to say something like "the player takes on the modifier of the highest of either there new position on the depth chart or there old position on the depth chart" or something like that.

The confusion came from where the rule says that they "take the #1 modifier of their new position" That makes it look like they take the top modifier number of the new position regardless of where they actually are on the depth chart.

18. Jeremy

I will re-word the rule.

19. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

OK, one more question here:

if a player changes position and this gives him a new overall number, what number is to show up in the capbook? The new overall, or the default madden overall?

For instance, take this example:

In the capbook, Sears is listed as #1 RG with 75 overall, but Payne is listed as #1 SS with 71 overall. Maybe it's a mistake, but I'm just trying to figure out which number to put in the capbook/

20. Jeremy

they aquire their new overall. Plus if this new overall raises their salary make sure the cap book reflects BUT if the new overall is lower, their salar would NOT decrease, it would remain the same plus what ever the new modifier is.

21. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

OK, so I'll just change Payne's overall to 73 on the Rams capbook

22. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Don't mean to keep resurrecting this thread, but with my confusion today I'd like some clarification. I was looking in the rulebook about the rule where after week 1, any new starters modifier would not be raised in the event of a promotion. I didn't see that in there, that's why I though otherwise. I mostly got confused from this rule:

Changing of modifiers

Every year, before week 1 begins, all rosters’ modifiers are reorganized based on starters/backups/3rd stringers. This rearrrangement of modifiers only affects players who are drafted onto the team, traded players from other teams, or default roster players. This does NOT affect free agent signees.

A player's modifier may never decrease while they are on a roster other than the above mentioned. A modifier can always go up (via trades and movement up the depth chart), but it will never decrease once it goes up in any way until the player is cut into free agency.

So as far as the red part goes, does this not occur after week 1?

23. Jeremy

Im not sure I am following the question Dave but I think that is mainly referring to player movement in Years 2-3-and so on. I think.

Winuvas will straighten us out........

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

For the start of the new Madden, we allowed modifiers to be changed from the default rosters all teams started with to allow for teams to trade players and get better players in. Any non free agents were allowed to move modifiers based on free agent signees and trades.

However, this was only for this first offseason of Madden. Future seasons of Madden will NOT reset modifiers. So the only way to "drop" modifiers now is to drop the player.

Does that make sense?

25. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I saw the confusion, Dave. That was an old rule that was misunderstood by me. It has since been changed.