Capp's 5 for 5: Mid Season Interviews

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by capp34, Jul 29, 2013.

1. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

[​IMG]
    Coach HAL9100
    We are at the midway point of the season and coaches have a better grasp on how their teams will fare the rest of the way. With that said what are your thoughts on your first half of the season?​

I would say I'm pleasantly surprised with how we've done. Being able to upset Maryland was big for our program and we already have more wins this season than in any of the previous 3 seasons. It was very possible to be 1-5 or even 0-6 with our schedule at this point, so 3-3 is a good position to be in.
    After a heartbreaking loss to Hawaii you are now 1-1 in conference play. How will you bounce back from that devastating loss? Are your guys ready to make a run at the MWC title game?​
    It was a tough loss to Hawaii, but it was a game that showed we are capable of competing in the MWC this season and in the future. After a narrow win over New Mexico, we weren't sure if we were in for a rough ride or not. It'd still be a tall order for us to seriously challenge for the MWC title this season but we might be able to make some noise.
    What in sin city’s name is going on with sophomore QB Nick Sherry? He has only 9 TDs to 11 ints and 2 fumbles. What are you going to do to straighten the path of this young guy?​

Nick has actually been a bright spot for us. Most of his INTs and both of his fumbles came in our first 2 games which were blowout losses to Minnesota and Arizona. He's been solid for us since and was a big reason we won 3 in a row and almost 4 in a row.
    Who is your pick to win the Mountain division of the conference?​

Utah State has to be the favorite right now with how they've been playing. I think it'll be Utah State vs San Diego State for the conference championship game.
    Anything else you want to add? Shit talk? Throw someone under the bus?​

After losing badly to Fresno State tonight, I don't have much room to be doing some shit talk, lol.
    [​IMG]
    Coach maij17
    We are at the midway point of the season and coaches have a better grasp on how their teams will fare the rest of the way. With that said what are your thoughts on your first half of the season?

The defense is coming together, guys are knowing where they are suppose to be in the scheme, and making plays when they get there. Offensively its a tale of the turnovers, we got into conference play and shit ourselves. I'm looking to see how we respond, 3 games down in the conference, second half is about who on this team wants it, no conference title, do we shoot for new goals or look toward the spring.
    Three game win streak to start the season and ranked then three straight user game loses to fall in a deep hole in conference. What happened? You were off to an amazing start then ran into a wall. Do you think you will recover because there is very little margin of error remaining.

Turnovers, we started giving the ball away, I also take blame, play selection has not put us in the best scenarios to make plays. There is no margin for error, bowl game or this season is a disappointment.
    David “flinging” Fales has been slinging that thang! He has 17 TD and 10 ints. He has a high number of picks but I can live with that with that amount of touchdowns. Do you think he may be throwing a bit too much? Making you one dimensional thus the high int number?

Play selection has been talked about in the meetings, we are giving him the freedom at the line to make those adjustments based off what he sees, the offense is design that way. As far as throwing too much, pass vs. run is based on what the defense presents, we also run quite of bit of our screen game which we consider run plays, as a whole we just have to get better at taking what the defense gives.
    Who is your pick to win the Mountain division of the conference?

My preseason vote went to Wyoming, and I see them still taking the Mountain.
    Anything else you want to add? Shit talk? Throw someone under the bus?

watch out Fresno State, and Stay away from my damn Recruits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Coach thebouncer24
    We are at the midway point of the season and coaches have a better grasp on how their teams will fare the rest of the way. With that said what are your thoughts on your first half of the season?​

The first half of the season has went amazing for us and has been great to be apart of the Utah State program, as for the rest of the Mountain West, it's really played out like we saw it. The top teams were predicted in my

opinion
    Ranked #19 with a 6-1 record 3-0 in conference games you are the talk of the league. How does it feel to be top dog the halfway point? With a great record also comes a target on your back do think you can hold onto the division lead and make it to the conference title game?​

We're having a great run in this league and feel very confident in finishing out the season on top, being the top dog and taking down the first team to get ranked in San Jose really sparked us and made everyone realize Utah State isn't playing around. We still have some tough games to focus on so we will see how it turns out.
    Looking at your stats it seems to me that you are running a 2 QB system or did your starter get hurt? Either way its still impressive, so tell us a little about that Nevada pistol and how you are going to keep it dynamic?​

Our Starter Chuckie Keeton has been hurt with a sprained ankle we do expect him to be back soon, Jeff Manning has stepped up and started out great but has looked a little shaky the past couple of weeks so we are really looking forward to Keeton's return
    Who is your pick to win the West division of the conference?​

My prediction is Hawaii, they have a great coach and he is making them look real salty

I want to throw UNLV under the bus for having the ball too much, they have the most passing attempts and rushing attempts. Stat Padding is a crime and is punishable by Utah State! Be aware!
    [​IMG]

Coach Cole Copeland

We have lost two games so far. I came into the season with the goal of only losing 2, so for us to have 2 losses already it is not a good sign.
    With one the most talented teams in the conference a lot people had you guys winning the western division. How do you fell about that? Do you think you can live up to those expectations?​

I feel like that's what we are very much capable of. We came into the season with that being our number one goal and then play in a major bowl game. I feel like we still have a shot at that but we need to get better on defense first.
    Your LB core is the best in the conference, must be nice having reliable vets backing the line. How are those guys performing? Do we have a Defensive player of the conference in that core?​

I feel like we have not only the best linebacking core in the conference but top 5 in the nation. I have hyped up Jake Fely a lot this season and I will stand by that. He should be defensive player of the year, no question.

I think the clear favorite right now has to be Utah State. Bouncer has showed up to play and we should all be gunning for him.
    Fuck you Guy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. capp34

[​IMG]
    Coach fordtuff504
    well, my warriors are above .500 so, with that, im very pleased with my team and staff.
    also, im very pleased with my recruiting staff as well, they really hit the ground running, hitting all of our recruiting needs, midway thru we have filled all of our position needs minus one
    You currently are leading the western division with a 3-1 record and four conference games remaining. Do you think you will hold on and make it to the conference title game?​
    oh? i am? lol well thanks now i kno i have a target on my forehead! but hey, with 4 of 6 of my remaining games being against users isnt gonna be a cake-walk by any means.
    defense and ball security will play a gargantuan lead role in weather or not we rise outta this gauntlet victorious or not
    The human tank himself RB Joey Losefa already has 10 touchdowns, and is well on his way to break the school record. Do you think he will?​
    joey has really been a huge bright spot in our offense, he really puts the "run" in our run n shoot offense! but with 10 tds and 500+ yrds on the ground, his "0" fumbles often get overlooked in his overall gameplay. his consistancy alone should be enough to get the school record, our staff truly believe that he can accomplish the feat
    call me cray but hell, i still see Nevada winning it possibly...
    na, ill save all that for season three because lets face it, im really recruiting like a SEC school!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Coach uagrad90
    We are at the midway point of the season and coaches have a better grasp on how their teams will fare the rest of the way. With that said what are your thoughts on your first half of the season?
    After the way the season started (0-2) I was no sure we would win a game this year. But since then we have gone 5-1 and the kids have started to pick up the little things about what we are trying to do on offense and defense. So to be sitting at 5-3 overall and 3-2 in the conference I am pleased with the year.
    You are currently number 2 in the Mountain division with the most conference games played at 5 and a 3-2 record. With only a few conference games left you think you can run the table and get to the title?
    Overall Im pleased with what we have done in the conference. We are going to need some help since 1 of our conference losses was to division leader Utah State. But I think we will have a shot in our remaining games but can we win them all, who knows, guess we will find out.
    How did it feel to get your first ever win that counts versus coach Capp?
    It was one of those feelings where you have tried so many times only to come up short and to know you are right there but cant get over the hump. We have faced off in so many classic defensive struggles I started to believe that if I could ever score more than 10 points could pull it off. But getting those 10 points has been impossible. But to finally get that win, it felt like a heavy burden was lifted and I feel so much more relaxed now.
    The miniature QB Kale Pearson seems to have a great grasp of the offense with 10 passing tds and 2 rushing. What are you planning to do to take this offense to the next level?
    We are always tweaking and tinkering with the offense. We are looking to expand the offense so when teams sell out to stop our run we will just over top of them. Its going to take time but I am liking what I am seeing.
    Who is your pick to win the West division of the conference?
    I think its a 2 horse race between Hawaii and Nevada. And I will go with Nevada because Hawaii still has to face Wyoming and Coach Capp has a mental thing on Coach Ford just like he had on me.
    Naaa nothing comes to mind. I think we have had a very good first half of the season and some teams that we thoughtwould be there are and other have fallen off. But I am looking forward to the 2nd half of the season and getting into season 2 and seeing were this all goes.
    [​IMG]
    Coach _MG_

Thanks for the questions, Capp. I really appreciate it. I think we are right where we expected to be at this point. We have put together some real solid wins against some real solid teams. Our defense is starting to come along, and our run game is starting to get hot. We are just hitting our peak, and we obviously need to keep getting better if we have any shot of beating some of these teams on our schedule in the second half.

With two conference wins under your belt and in 2nd place of the Western division do you think you have what it takes to win the division over division favorite Hawaii?

Well, I think we have a good idea of who our competition is. We beat Hawaii earlier this season at home, and that was huge. Honestly, I am surprised you consider them the division favorite. Obviously Hawaii has a very bright future with a superstar head coach running that program, but right now I think it is foolish to look over San Diego State. They, in our eyes, are the easy favorite in our division and perhaps in the whole conference. That team is loaded with talented young men, and their head coach is a competent play caller who knows what he is doing. They did just drop a close game against Air Force, but they were our toughest inter-conference opponent so far. We lost that game (albeit on the last play of the game, on the 1-yard line) but I felt they really were in control most of our game. They are an impressive team and I would be shocked if they didn't play in a big time bowl come January.

Looking within, I think we know what mistakes we have made. In the games we have won, we have controlled the ball on offense with a steady run game and solid pass game. Defensively, I feel the games we have really dominated were the games where we controlled the line of scrimmage and force the other team into throwing. SMU really took advantage in that area, but I feel our best chance to win games from here on out is to focus on the running game and turn offenses more one-dimensional. There is no worse feeling in football than guessing what an offense is going to do. Shutting down one facet of an offense makes defense much simpler . That will be our goal the rest of the year, control the line of scrimmage. Games are won on any level in the trenches. Our front 7 will be ready to play.

Junior QB Cody Fajardo had a lot of hype coming into the season as one of the best QBs in the conference. However it looks like he had a slow start to the season with 8 TD passes and 6 ints along with 2 fumbles. What are your plans to get him back on track and playing to his potential?

I think Cody has done a good job for us. Out of context those numbers might not be eye-popping, but you really need to take into account the level of competition we have faced. We started the season against 4 straight teams who were heavily favored against us. Our season opening win at UCLA was a big boost to our confidence, and we stayed very competitive against SMU and Florida State. Cody has obviously made some mistakes, but he has a lot on his plate. On top of throwing the ball, he is in charge of our pistol option offense, making tough decisions all game. He has been a great threat in the run game, leading the conference in rushes of over 20 yards. He has been a great playmaker in the red zone with his feet, rushing for a few touchdowns as well. He has room to improve, absolutely, but we aren't disappointed with what he has done by any means. I think our offensive line and receivers need to pick Cody up a bit, things have been far from easy on him so far this year. We are confident Cody can run this offense and keep winning games for us. Our confidence has not wavered in his ability.

Who is your pick to win the Mountain division of the conference?

Utah State is the easy choice here. Coach Bouncer has that program really rolling with solid defense and high flying offense. Look at what they did without Keeton the past week, throwing for over 300 yards anyway and moving the ball with ease. I am not surprised with what that squad is doing, but that is not to say I am not impressed. It has been fun to watch what they have done, and I expect them to win that division going way when all is said and done. That is a program on the up and up, everyone needs to watch out and have them on their radar.

I just want to thank everyone in Z2H for keeping this thing rolling. It has been a lot of fun and I am thankful to be a part of it. We look forward to smashing UNLV and finishing this season strong. Thanks for the questions Capp, this was a lot of fun.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  3. capp34

[​IMG]

I've scored 50 against a bad CPU team and turned the ball over 10 times against below-average CPU team. In the conference, the game vs UNLV @HAL9100 probably could've been played better with JV players. I scared Utah State for a half before @thebouncer24 decided he wanted to start playing. I'd rather not talk about the Wyoming game.

You are currently 0-3 in conference games and the only user without a victory. What changes will you make to get rid of the donut and put up some wins?

Conference wins might have to wait until year 2.

Cole Gautsche is still wet behind the ears being only a sophomore and it seems like he is having his growing pains. Currently he has 7tds to 8ints, what are your plans to get him on the right track for the future?
    I'm surprised he has 7 touchdown passes as my receivers can't catch to save their lives and I shouldn't be throwing that often with the offense I run. To get him on the right track for the future, he will sit on the bench as an incoming freshman will be taking over the offense next year.

Nevada

It could be worse; 2-6 with a real D-1 team. @bbrench0610

[​IMG]

So far so good. We've lost to some really good teams so far and they have been pretty close. If one or two plays go differently those losses would be in the win column.

With only 2 games played in conference you are 1-1 and have the most conference games remaining so you are in a good position. Do you think you will put together a run in the second half of the season to make the title game?

Being able to control your own destiny is a wonderful thing. Conference games are a funny thing... it doesnt matter if your playing the best or worst team in the country, they are always battles!

How do you about your offense coming along? Senior DE Shaq is tearing into QBs with six sacks on the season do I see the conference defensive player of the year?

Shaq has been doing exaclty what we have been asking him -- getting to the QB. He;s really taken pressure off the rest of our young defense. We've really let him go this season. His main goal is to get in the backfield and disrupt the play. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out for him.

It's still wide open at this time but I think Hawaii has a great chance of closing it out on top.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

I didn't even realize that, lol. I guess that's what the no huddle gets you. But at the same time, I notice you say attempts and not yards. :rolleyes:..............:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  5. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Fuck you Guy.
    :(
    Cole Copeland

• Like Like x 2
  6. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Jeez I wrote a damn book compared to y'all. I feel a little overdressed in this trailer park.

• Like Like x 1
  7. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Lol you just had alot to say