Car Audio Shopping

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by SuperBowlNachos, Jul 6, 2011.

1. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Anyone here knowledgeable on this stuff? I have a 2008 Silverado extended cab. The stock system is so bad, really a shame something of such low quality was put into such a nice vehicle.

Probably want to go with new Stereo, 4 door speakers and 1(maybe 2) sub because I like having the extra space in the back.

Size specs
    Radio opening
    • Non-standard dash opening (special integration package required)
    • Usable space behind your dash for a new stereo: 6.971"
    Radio types that will fit in your dash:
    • 4"-tall ("Double-DIN" style)
    • 2"-tall ("DIN" style)
    • Direct replacement (radio designed for your dash)
    Front speakers
    • Front Door: 6-3/4" Your factory speaker doesn’t match any aftermarket speaker size exactly. Here, we list the largest speaker that will fit in the factory location. As you shop, we’ll show you all options for this location.
    Rear speakers
    • Rear Door: 6-1/2" Your factory speaker doesn’t match any aftermarket speaker size exactly. Here, we list the largest speaker that will fit in the factory location. As you shop, we’ll show you all options for this location

The thing is, I need to go pretty much 100% KICKER, because I can take advantage of their accommodation with Best Buy(as much as I hate to go to best buy, I have to get it from BB) and get this stuff like 70% off retail. It's hard to set a budget, because the prices will be a lot less then listed.

So I think what I need is just suggestions on some mid range products then I can look and see what the price for me will be. I need everything; wires, amps, speakers ect. I went for this same project last summer before I could get this discount, now my sister is marrying into it lol. I can get a discount on their install stuff too. The main problem is there is almost no room for any type of amp or box, hopefully the morons at geek squad have done my truck before.

Thanks for any help!

2. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Ehh, some of that stuff is just buying a name or don't matter too much unless you buy 'matching' speakers. Another thing to ponder is how loud you listen to your music. I used to have 6, yes 6, 12 inch subs in my 2000 Dodge Intrepid.

The most important 'parts' of a car audio system is your amp and the box the speakers sit in. I've been out the game for a few years (now only have two 12s in my trunk after my other 6 were stolen while I was deployed) so excuse me if this info is a little off. I want to say most amps you buy (affordable ones anyway) all say they give 1200 watts. Now some question whats the point of buying a high end amp if they give off the same power? Well, the more expensive ones actually give you close to 1200 watts of power while a cheap one (a Sony Xplode) will give you around 800 watts despite it saying 1200. I really forget the reason why but I want to lean to the reasoning of the cheap ones having a 'governor' type of thing on 'em. Don't quote me on that.

Now for a custom box, what do you want to hear? Do you want your music to be heard by everyone or do you want your bass in your car? If you want them to hear you before they see you you'll want an open box. If you want everything inside of the car/truck, you'll want a closed box. With my 6 12s I had all open boxes and had complaints from people almost a mile away about my bass shakin' their windows. I now have a closed box and from the outside you may hear a slight rattle from the trunk but thats it. Once I open up a window or a door (or if you're sitting in it) you'll hear a bunch of bass.

Sorry for rambling on. Car audio used to be something I loved before having kids and no longer having a ton of 'play' money to play with. Now I have to ration my play money :(

4. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I am getting the accommodation from Kicker through Best Buy which is why it's all Kicker. In stores it would be $740, so I am getting just over 50% off retail. I really think I am just gonna go with a great pair of component speakers and get an amp to power them and not even bother with a sub. Anything is better then the crap there is there now.

5. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

6. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

So you could actually play Webbie's "6 12's" song! Lol

I've got 2 enclosed 12" Rockford Fosgate subs with a matching amp...Bose 6x9s in the 1st deck, Bose 6's in the front, and my latest addition is Infinity tweeters to keep my highs sounding clean...loving the setup.

For a truck I would recommend enclosed 10's in the back to save on space and really high quality 6x9s in front to keep the sound clear...

7. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

do you really need the highs amp? I mean its only 75 rms and your 6" speakers hold max 66 watts? You head unit is 22watts RMS and should be sufficiant for such a small space as a truck. Sounds like they are trying to add on the amp when you don't need it?