Cardinal take down Rebels thanks to 6 INTs

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HotRod, Jan 8, 2012.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Fresh off a National Championship season the Stanford Cardinal wouldn't have to wait long to be tested in the 2017 season. Ole Miss, another national power was making a visit to Palo Alto for a #1 vs #3 matchup.

The Rebels elected to receive to begin the game and had their drive halted and were forced to punt. Stanford would make their way down the field and score off of a 33 yd draw ran in by Senior HB Anthony Manson. On Ole Miss' next drive, Bryan Huff would throw his first INT as MLB Jeff Austin played his zone perfectly.

Stanford would take advantage of the turnover and Manson ran it in the endzone from 3 yards out for his 2nd TD of the game to make the score 14-0. Ole Miss would finally get on the board shortly thereafter as Josh Turner took a toss play 72 yards untouched.

After a series of stops by each defense, Ole Miss would tie the game up when Turner ran in a 4 yd TD and the score at the half was 14-14.

The Cardinal got the ball to begin the 2nd half and would score on a desparation heave by Joey Robison to Keith Whitaker in the middle of two defenders. Whitaker somehow managed to come down with the ball and run it the rest the of way for a 60 yd TD putting the score at 21-14.

On the Rebels next possession Huff would throw a pick to LB Stevie Jackson putting Stanford in position to score again but Matt Morris would intercept Robison in the endzone to end that threat. Ole Miss seemed to be on the verge of tying the game up as they drove 90 yards down the field to the Stanford 5 yard line. On 3rd and goal, Huff would throw probably the most important pick of the game when CB Andrew Baker would cut in front of the Rebel receiver and run it in 101 yds for a touchdown extending the Stanford lead to 28-14.

Huff would throw a couple more picks after this play and Stanford would add a 3rd rushing TD by Anthony Manson. When the clock hit 0:00 Stanford would come away with a 38-17 victory.

The Cardinal D would intercept Huff six times as he struggled going 8-21 for a total of 103 yds. SS Brian Cannon and CB Andrew Baker each had 2 INTs. Anthony Manson led the way on offense with 80 yds on 9 carries and 3 TD. Next week the Cardinal welcome #2 Nebraska in a rematch of the 2016 National Championship game.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice win man, we just couldn't do anything, the only thing was I just felt bad I couldn't give you a game this time. I'm sure you were happy to avoid getting a game though. :)

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

PAC-12! PAC-12! PAC-12!

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Despite all the horrible interceptions I threw, I really think the turning point of the game and what really put us out of it for good was the play where you threw one up over the middle real high.. It almost looked like a wrong button tap or a lag tap (except you said you meant to do it)... And we had 2 tall players converge to the ball and literally standing there waiting for it and your guy comes down with it AND gets a touchdown out of it. I don't know what I was doing on that play, I make no excuses. I had a 6'7" player and didn't square up to the ball and jump high. I pick that pass off 9/10 times and choked.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Damn so much for that 99 accuracy :-O

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

good solid win Hotrod....beating Lord Hellisan is never an easy task.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

nah he was throwing it right where I wanted... It was bad reads and combine those horrible reads with some button lag

It kinda was yesterday for Hotrod hahaha

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I was watching this for a bit and I think the back breaker was the int helli threw in the endzone down 21-14 in the 3rd. That seemed to kill the whole thing.