Catholics vs. Convicts to resume in 2012!

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Basis4aDay56, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Catholics vs. Convicts to resume in 2012!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-miami-notredamegames

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Miami and Notre Dame have agreed to renew a football rivalry that during the 1980s helped define each program and decide several national championships.

The Hurricanes and Fighting Irish will play Oct. 6, 2012, at Soldier Field in Chicago, then play a home-and-home starting in 2016 at South Bend, Ind. They play in Miami the next season.

The rivalry dates to the 1950s and Notre Dame leads the series 15-7-1.

But it was during the 1980s, when Miami became a national power, that the rivalry got interesting.

In 1985, Miami embarrassed Notre Dame 58-7 in Gerry Faust’s last game as coach of the Fighting Irish.

Faust was replaced by Lou Holtz. Soon after Notre Dame was a national title contender again and the Miami-Notre Dame game was routinely one of the biggest of the season.

Miami won three national championships in the 1980s and beat Notre Dame during the regular season each time. Notre Dame beat Miami in 1988, when the Irish won their last national title, and in 1990.

The tense and at times nasty series was dubbed Catholics vs. Convicts by some Notre Dame supporters.

The 1988 game was marked by a pregame shoving match and the next season the teams nearly squared off at midfield before the coin toss.

After the 29-20 victory by the Irish in 1990—which knocked Miami out of the national title hunt and helped Notre Dame go the Orange Bowl with a chance to win another championship—the series was stopped.

----------

As an Irish fan, I'm looking forward to this. Should be fun!

2. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Very excited and will be there for the games in Chicago and South Bend.

Saw the 88 and 90 contests, and the 88 still the best game I have ever attended

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

That is awesome

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

GO IRISH!!!

5. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Good to see these both hook back up.Now all we need is for both to find there way back into the top 10.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I'm just a tad to young to remember this rivalry... I hate the Irish... we don't want to be in a conference so we can play who we want... USC, Michigan, now Miami... guess its good for college football as a whole

7. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I don't think there is a team in college football with more rivalry games than ND. You have USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Boston College, Purdue, Miami, Navy, and Stanford. Being an Independent allows them the freedom to play these teams every year. The only conference that makes sense for them to be in would be the big 10, but Then they wouldn't be able to play all their rivals every year.

PS, the Irish hate you too my friend!!...lol.

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Yes I know that Miami is a renewed rivalry, which will be great for college football.

9. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Go Canes Hopefully we don't get screwed by the refs again in south bend!!!

10. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Refs have honestly only gotten worse over time in all sports but MLB and the NFL.Unless you hold them accountable for there mistakes (granted we all make them). Then they will always try and control the game by the whistle instead of letting teams compete.

11. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

If you are referring to Gary's fumble, that call is anything but clear cut. Very debatable whether or not he fumbled. Certainly not enough to cry about it 20 years later.