CB Cushion

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Jul 10, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Jun 5, 2012
    I thought this was highly exagerated in the game until I watched this video.

Amerson gives a huge cusion in coverage. I'm not a football coach so I'm not sure how prevalent this is. To me, it seems way too easy to hit curls and slants. It this a logic issue? How unrealistic do you think it is in game?

FWIW, I see it a lot more in user games than I have vs the CPU...
  2. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't played 13 yet, but others are claiming the CB's do not break on these routes and are actually acting as if they are in straight man even though they can see them playing out in front of them.

Off man is pretty frequent. Patrick Peterson played about half the game in off man coverage on Julio Jones in 2010, and LSU continues to use it on a consistent basis. It gives the corner the opportunity to break on underneath routes like slants, curls, and outs and the technique also reduces the chance of getting beat deep. The routes should be open if thrown on time, but you shouldn't be able to abuse them. @1:22 is how the corners should react: cover deep first, but drive on the curl once the receiver makes the break. A couple of plays in the video also showed how it's also hard for the receiver to block the CB since there is much more ground to cover.

Of course there's always the common counter of standing up and throwing it to the receiver and bubble screens.