Champions League and Europa League Season 2

Discussion in 'TCL: Tradition Cup Events' started by niuhuskie224, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Check out the setup for Season 2 of the Champions League. If you have any questions or comments, please post below.​

@Blaza
    @Darlon
    @Dylema
    @GovernedSpy
    @steven.foster

Champions League Season 2

We are just weeks away from the end of season 2 of the Tradition Premier League and the beginning of season 3. With the start of season 3 comes season 2 of the Champions League with some nice changes to make the experience better overall.

This season, at the end of week 3 the teams for this season’s Champions League will be set. This should be a fairly good indicator of what team’s should and should not make it as you will have played 2/3 of your league to that point.

At the end of week 3, we will combine the two leagues standings and the top 10 out of 20 will make it to the Champions League. Group A will feature the teams in 1st, 3rd 6th, 7th and 10th place in the combined tables. Group B will feature the teams in 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th in the combined tables.

*ADDED 4/15/2011*
    In addition, teams ranked 11-15 will form a third group for the Europa League. This will be a complementary league to the main Champions League Tournament. It will run under the same rules as the Champions League.

During this group stage each team will play each team one time. This will add an additional one game per week to the schedule. The group stage will take 4 weeks (1 game per week, 4 games total).

The tournament portion of the Champions League will include 6 teams. The winner of each group will receive a first round bye. The second place team from Group A will face the third place team from Group B. The second place team from Group B will face the third place team from group A. In other words, the top 3 teams from each group will advance to the tournament.

*ADDED 4/15/2011*
    For the Europa League, the top two teams in the group will advance to the semi-finals of the Europa League where they will be matched up against the teams that finished 4th in their respective groups in the Champions League. The top ranked team from the Europa League will face the team from the CL with the lesser amount of points that of the two finishing in 4th. If tied in points, a random draw will determine the match-ups.

After the first round of the tournament is concluded, we will re-seed the tournament with the top seed playing the team with the least number of points earned during the group stage. After this round we will have a championship round and that will conclude the tournament.

In total, this should take 6 weeks maximum which should coincide with the end of the season for the Premier League and League 1.

*ADDED 4/15/2011*
    Since the PL and League 1 will take 9 weeks to complete a season, this will take 6 weeks, meaning the Europa League Finals, Champions League Semi Finals and the Champions League Finals will all take place during the final week of the season. Schedule to follow in a separate thread.

Extra Information
    We will use the same standard rules for all rounds of this tournament.

A schedule will be released for the group stage indicating who is home and who is away.

During the group stage, standings will be determined as follows;
    1) Points
    2) Head to Head (This comes into play when determining seeding)
    3)Goal Differential
    4)Goals For
    5)Away Goals
    6)Special One Game Playoff or Coin Toss
    a. In the event that the teams in 3rd and 4th place in their groups are tied, a one game playoff will be played using the knockout round rules listed below to determine the final entrant into the tournament and which team will be playing in the Europa League.
    b. In the event there is a tie to determine seeding (1st and 2nd place are tied 3rd and 4th place are tied, 4th and 5th place are tied, 5th and 6th place are tied) a coin flip will determine the higher seed.
    c. In the event of a tie at the top of a group, and all other tiebreakers are even, a one game playoff will be used to determine the group winner using the knockout round rules below. Points earned from this match will not be included in the final standings.
    7) In the event of a three team tie, all teams will go through the same criteria except at step 2, Head to Head will turn into most points in games amongst the teams. Once a team in eliminated from the tiebreaker, the tiebreaker will begin again with the remaining teams.

In the event of tiebreakers being needed, prior to the final week of the group stage, I will contact all who may be involved in a potential one game playoff to begin scheduling so as not to delay the beginning of the tournament.

During the tournament round, we will be playing a home and home aggregate with the tie breaker being most away goals. In the event that there is a tie at the end of the second game, we will be going to the GOLDEN GOAL tiebreaker with penalty kicks if needed after a full 120 minutes of extra time. This means you start a new game once a tie has been determined and whoever scores first wins the round. If tied at the end of 90 minutes, play the two overtime periods. If at the end of the two overtime periods the score is still tied, go to penalty kicks.

Champions League and Europa League Season 3

For season 3 of the Champions League, we will use the final standings from Season 3 of the Premier League and League 1. In the event that a team leaves the league that would have qualified for the Champions League, the next best team (11th place) will take their spot. New owners will not be eligible for the Champions League. This will be the criteria for all Champions Leagues going forward until the release for FIFA 12.

Champions League and Europa League FIFA 12

Upon the release of FIFA 12, team selection will start fresh and be based on the first 3 weeks of the FIFA 12 Season 1 standings. After a complete season, we will use the final standings from the previous year to determine Champions League participants for the following seasons.

2. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

sounds good mate :)

3. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

No exemption for the champ?? It's going to be a free for all next season with so few teams getting in. Should be fun and looking forward to another season..

4. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I actually considered this to be honest but figured since it is you, you would be fine LOL.

5. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Have you lost a PL match yet in 2 seasons? I think you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AJ Hart MN

I'm not taking anything for granted, there's just way too many great players in the new PL. This season is going to be crazy, no less than 7 teams could win it.

7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

My money is on Man City :p

8. AJ Hart MN

Mine's not.. Lol

9. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lol, no my real money is on Juventus. As it always will be. Until i get proven wrong that is

10. AJ Hart MN

It's Arsenal's year. Blaza with the Gunner's = bad news for the rest of the league.

11. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

nahh :] i doubt it...i think with my teams choice..i can pwn arsenal :D

12. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

My gameplan against Blaza.

Step 1: Sit 10 guys behind the ball.
    Step 2: Fire shots from 40 yards out.
    Step 3: Wait for Almunia to fuck it up.
    Step 4: Watch Almunia fuck it up.

13. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Better copyright this, cuz i'mma steal it lol

14. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Glad to see that nobody is complaining about the rules for Season 2.

15. AJ Hart MN

Not publically at least ;) We've now got some grizzled vet's who only vent their frustration via PM or XBOX Live.. :D

16. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

No joke.

I think the above setup is here to stay unless there is an increase in guys. Even then we would just add a group or increase the group size.

This should run smooth and I think adding only one game will help people get the games in quickly.

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

LOL! Sounds about right.

18. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The only suggestion I would have is to advance the top 3 out of each group instead of top 6 total. The groups arent gonna be completely even... thats almost impossible. The only way that I can think of to correct for the differences in group difficulty would be to advance the top 3 and have 2nd place group A play 3rd place group B and vice versa and then reseed for semis.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AJ Hart MN

Play him like a man Porto.. :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I like this idea a lot and will correct the above post with this in the rules.

21. Darlon

Darlon Walk On

If I could, I wanted to try and run next season on all manual. Unfortunately, it forces semi assisted.

22. AJ Hart MN

You sure about this?? :)

23. Blaza

@niuhuskie224 Is the Arsenal vs. Bayern draw final? I think I've done a pretty fair job of trying to get it scheduled...

24. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I will review and post a final ruling on Friday. I agree that you have tried to schedule, and will not allow this result to keep you out of the Champions League. This result will only count towards this table, not the league table.

25. Blaza

ok thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.