Champions League Outlook

Discussion in 'TCL: Tradition Cup Events' started by niuhuskie224, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

After one full week of play, one thing has become apparent...Making it into the top 10 to qualify for the Champions League will not be an easy task. The line for 10th place is sitting at 2 point currently and the projected cut to make it to the Champions League appears to be 8 points.

Two teams that are noticeably not in the top 10 are last years Champions League winner Juventus and quarter finalist Atletico Madrid. Both sit with zero points and are on the outside looking in of not just the Champions League but also the Europa League.

4 teams swept the first week of play and are in the drivers seat to make the Champions League. Over the next two weeks, FC Porto, Tottenham, Manchester City and Istanbul BB will be fighting over who enters the CL as the top seed in the tournament.

Looking ahead to week 2 of the Premier League and League 1 fixtures, the only thing certain is that wins are at a premium with only 13 wins happening in 20 fixtures and 8 of those being had by 4 teams.

Key Match-Ups for Week 2

Atletico Madrid vs. Aston Villa
    Atletico Madrid vs. FC Zenit

These three teams are all sitting below the cut line. Atletico Madrid not only has a say in there own future but in the future of these two teams in regards to the Champions League. Zenit and Aston Villa fought to a draw during the first week of games and both present a great challenge to Atletico Madrid's hopes of getting back to the Champions League

Juventus vs. FC Zenit
    Juventus vs. Manchester City

Speaking of FC Zenit, they not only draw Atletico Madrid but the reigning Champions League winner. Juventus dropped there first two games of the season and now is looking at a scenarion of needing to win 3 out of 4 to make the Champions League. Not an easy task with undefeated Manchester City coming to play this week.

Olympique Lyonnais vs. Fulham
    Could this essentially be a knockout game? Both teams are in the bottom half of the cutoff for the Champions League and can have a huge say in who is going on to the CL and who will be playing in the Europa League.

Istanbul BB vs. AC Milan
    Istanbul BB vs. Napoli

Istanbul comes into this week undefeated and a chance to secure a spot in the Champions League. In addition, they get an opperutnity to knock out fellow league mates AC Milan and Napoli and extend there record to 4-0-0.

With only 4 games remaining, anyone can get into the Champions League but some teams have an opportunity to play themselves out of contention with one bad half of futbol.

@ryalaman
    @Michael Woodward
    @JFace907
    @hedache
    @Timpegoose
    @elprez98
    @Blaza
    @KnightNoles
    @Darlon
    @Bryan Colmenares
    @Krebstar425
    @KillerNuts
    @RynoAid
    @The Richuation
    @Dylema
    @niuhuskie224
    @GovernedSpy
    @AJ Hart MN
    @steven.foster
    @Colemanchu

• Like Like x 3
  2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Excellent write-up! I think the undefeated teams really just need one more win and a draw to punch their ticket into the champions league. Unfortunately for me, i don't think i will get that this week. I'll be lucky to get two draws.

3. hedache

hedache Walk On

I wouldn't be surprised if I lost my next 4 games :) But then, I also expect to make it in since I'm sitting in a good spot at the moment.

4. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

well i hope i have a good week 2 and 3 :]

5. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Have you lost to me yet with Man City? Your team is beastly.

6. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I don't think so. Then again that was preseason. I think you're boys have found top form since we kicked off season 3.

7. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

Tough week but should be a fun two games and I'm really just hoping for a point out of those 2 to give be a shot going into the final round of games.

8. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Ugh.. Looks like I have some work to do.. My boys haven't really ever been in a situation like this but were excited for the challenge. 6 points is a must this week and we think we have what it takes to pull it off. Man City and Zenit are great teams so it's not going to be a easy task at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.