Champions League Weekly: Group Stage Preview [2/28]

Discussion in 'TCL: Tradition Cup Events' started by Basis4aDay56, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

[​IMG]

Champions League Weekly - Group Stage Preview

Feb. 28, 2010

Last week featured a mad dash to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League and was one that did not disappoint. It did leave four of the most storied clubs in European football on the outside of the top 16 (AC Milan, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, and Liverpool), as well as solid clubs in their own right (Hamburger SV and Bordeaux). There turned out to only be one swap of the teams in the top 16 duing a week that looked more promising. Both teams, Arsenal and Villarreal, were tied entering the third week of TFL play, but thanks to a nice week Villarreal was able to play their way in.

There was much jockeying for seeding though. These races resulted in the group formations below:

TCLGoups.PNG

What would Champions League Weekly be without predictions? As such, we have six expert panelists to give their predictions. The panelists are: Basis4aDay56 (Bayern Munich), @Pagamer07 (Arsenal), @elprez98 (Hamburger), @Randiesel75 (Liverpool), @Bryan Colmenares (Bordeaux), and predictions and insight from @RynoAid (AC Milan). Why are we experts? Well, quite frankly, everyone that made the Champions League group stage did so at the expense of the six of us, so that qualifies us to put down our thoughts as to which two teams will emerge from each group:

Basis4aDay56's Picks
    Group A
    Everton
    Tottenham

Group B
    Juventus
    Aston Villa

Group C
    Lyon
    Wolfsburg

Group D
    Galatasaray
    Atletico

elprez98's Picks
    Group A
    Everton
    FC Zenit

Group B
    Juventus
    Aston Villa

Group C
    Olympique
    FC Porto

Group D
    Galatasaray SK
    A. Madrid

Pagamer07's Picks
    Group A
    Everton
    Roma

Group B
    Juventus
    Fulham

Group C
    Porto
    OL

Group D
    Galatessary
    Madrid

Randiesel75's Picks
    Group A
    Everton
    AS Roma

Group B
    Juventus
    Aston Villa

Group C
    Olympique
    FC Porto

Group D
    A. Madrid
    Borussia Dortmund

Bryan Colmenares' Picks
    Group A
    Everton
    FC Zenit

Group B
    Juventus
    Aston Villa

Group C
    Olympique
    FC Porto

Group D
    Galatasaray SK
    A. Madrid

And here are Ryno's picks and expert insight:

Group A
    Everton - Darlon is as patient as he is good. He will control possession too and punishes with set pieces. Look for him to go unscathed through group A as the #1 here.

AS Roma - The rest of group A is going to be a straight up dogfight.. and i always take the dog with biggest balls in that scenario.. give me Cole.

Group B
    Juventus - Cake walk here, no one is this group is gonna really challenge Juve. The team that can draw AJ will have a distinct advantage for the 2nd spot though.

Bayer 04 - I'll take Leverkusen here, KillerNuts isn't exactly "killin" it in League 1 (3-2 +/- 2) but i don't see Aston Villa putting it together and WE ALL know Fulham is gonna crumble under the pressure. :eek:

Group C
    Olympique - Blaza will get through, but it won't be a cakewalk. His defense is suspect... (yea i f****** said it) but he is dynamic with the futbol at his feet and usually capitalizes at just the right time.

FC Porto - Again, another very patient yet lethal player. Similar to Everton in many ways, he will control possession and will pick his opportunity to bury your dreams.

Group D
    Galatasaray SK - Their flare with the futbol could be unmatched (Juventus aside) and i expect them to get through. Their size presents an issue too, they have a big dude on that team.

A. Madrid - Despite the undisciplined nature of their play, they can counter with the best of them. You will have to be on your toes when you play NiuHuskie, literally if you value your ankles.

So, there you have it folks.The group stage is officially underway and has produced some fantastic matches so far. Next week's update will recap the week 1 results and preview what is to come in week 2!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

How do those of you that are IN the group stage think it will play out? What are your thoughts on our picks, and especially some of those Ryno comments??

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

so far...

@RynoAid

Champions League Group Stage

Aston Villa 0 v. Fulham 1

:goal: Dempsey 85'​

Fulham 3 vs. Aston Villa 0

:goal: Dempsey​

:goal: Zamora

:goal: Davies

4. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Love ryno's shot at Fulham.. Haha, that was good stuff.

5. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Sorry to let you down guys... I just got dominated twice. Most frustrating games since playing Blaza. Put a fork in me... I may go pointless.

6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I had all my chips on you.

7. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Well, now let's not go that far... I did have hopes of getting out of group, but that's not going to happen.

8. AJ Hart MN

I'm really shocked by those results Rich.. It has seemed that you had turned the corner lately and have begun to really figure this game out. It was probably just a bad matchup. Sometimes guys play different styles and that can get you.

Knight has me a bit scared now.. I think as more time goes by, he's just gonna get better and better at the game. Hopefully I get him next week [​IMG]

9. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

knight....way to pwn em for rich, time to change your game plan,instead of your usual formations and tactics,lets give this group something new..something different, surprise em a bit

10. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'm scared shitless by my group. I appreciate all the love I'm getting from the panel (except for you @Basis4aDay56 ... I knew you hated me!) but its gonna be very very tough. Everyone in the group has legitimate aspirations of not only getting to knockout rounds... but to do some serious damage when they get there. I've only played Blaza once, but his style did a number on my possession play. I'm just hoping to steal a point or 2 in week 1 off of him and then see if I can't get lucky from there.

11. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Took 4 out of 6 in my first week. Puts me in a great position to get to the knockout round.

12. KnightNoles

remember I just did pick up this game a little before the release of season 2 :D

13. AJ Hart MN

Well, what I meant was you would have every glitch, cheat and abusive tactic figured out here very soon. [​IMG] Haha, just kidding bro.

You've already sent Kreb into retirement and we damn well might have to talk Rich off the ledge here shortly but one thing will be certain... Juve will put a stop to this little engine that could thing you got going on. You may get out of this group but it won't be on my watch.. [​IMG]

14. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

After splitting with Wolfsburg i know that i really cannot afford to take another loss. Any sweeps will put me in great position but with Porto and Lyon remaining, sweeps seem unlikely.

15. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

You're not in bad shape JFace. I'm scared to death of getting swept by Blaza and possibly needing to sweep someone in order to advance.

16. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Haters are my motivation.

I wish I could like this individual post!

===

In all seriousness though... I am hoping to split with Juve, which I think I can do if I'm playing well. With the AV - Fulham results, I have some confidence for that series, all though the teams/playstyles may match up a lot differently. I had a very favorable result against Fulham earlier in L1 play, so I'm hoping that can continue.

===

I'm thinking...

A
    Everton
    Roma

C
    OL
    Porto

D
    Madrid
    Benefica

17. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Oh, I'm ok... although two loses are tough to swallow after only having one loss after 8 PL games. It's the holding of A + B at once that throws me off my game.

:eek:

18. AJ Hart MN

Haha, I know man, just busting your balls.. Gonna have to remember that A + B thing. [​IMG]

19. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I didn't know the A button did anything until I saw this post and tried it. :(

20. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

21. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

Tag Team :D \o/

22. KnightNoles

standings goin to get updated?

23. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yes - I'll post them soon. I thought I did on Friday, whoops!

Also going to put up this week's Champions League Weekly tonight.

24. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Next article comes tomorrow night for sure... I am not even finished updating the stats yet, will be soon but I'm going to call it a night afterwards. I don't want to half ass the article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.