Champions League Weekly: Knockout Round Draw & Group Stage Recap

Discussion in 'TCL: Tradition Cup Events' started by Basis4aDay56, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

[​IMG]
    MARCH 21, 2011
    After three full gameweeks of home and home matches, the field of eight teams that have advanced through to the Knockout Rounds has been set! The standings below reveal who the Tradition Champions League's Elite Eight are:​
    [​IMG]
    By far the most hotly contested group was group c, where we had to wait for a couple of make-up matches to play out to determine whether it would be FC Porto or VfL Wolfsburg who advanced to the next stage. In a couple of matches over the weekend, Wolfsburg got a nice, but inconsequential draw against league giants Lyon. Needing to win or go home in the return fixture, Lyon broke away en route to a 4-1 win that had FC Porto fans elated that their 6 points and +1 goal differential held up to push them through the "Group of Death".​
    Group D was also very evenly matched, though there is still speculation as to whether or not the Galatasaray manager Hedach will retain his job after some questionable coaching tactics, as well as a 10 day hiatus that led to two forfeit losses. It turns out that due to the team's performance in their first four games, two wins against Dortmund would not have even helped push the Turkish side through, so the TCL officials decided that a forfeiture was fair.​
    Groups A & B featured some domination by three of the top teams in the TFL: FC Zenit, Everton, and Juventus. Fulham did a fantastic job in Group B to secure big wins against a reeling Aston Villa side to help vault them into the knockout round. If one were to pick the biggest surprise of the group stage, it would definitely be how soundly Fulham played under their manager Knight. He has them looking up as things progress.​
    Today was also the much anticipated draw for the knockout rounds. To complete the task, the clubs were put into Excel and sorted A to Z by club name. I then went to random.org, which is a random number generator website. On the main page on the right, the parameters were a min of 1 and a max of 8. Once the button was pressed the first time, I put a 1 in the draw column next to the team name that corresponded to the cell that was picked on the website. I did this, excluding repeats, until each club had a number assigned to it, and a game group.​
    So, without further adieu...​
    ...​
    ... here are the ...​
    ... pairings for the first round!​
    [​IMG]
    So, in other words - the round of 8 will look as follows:​
    Atletico Madrid vs. Olimpique Lyonnais​
    Everton vs. FC Porto​
    FC Zenit vs. SL Benfica​
    Fulham vs. Juventus​
    There are TWO suspensions that need to be served during the first leg of the Knockout Round, both belonging to Atletico Madrid (See bottom of post for a complete list of accumulated cards for those remaining):​
    Filipe​
    Ujfalusi

The round of 8 will open up when @niuhuskie224 says so - but that will most likely be Thursday! He will be your fearless leader moving forward. It has been a pleasure to get you this far, and I wish everyone luck finishing out the tournament!!​
    Complete List of Cards (GsW2 = Served Group Stage, Week 2, etc.)

RC RCT Susp? Served?
    Aquilani Juve Yes GsW2
    Dempsey Fulham Yes GsW3

YC YCT Susp? Served?
    Filipe Atletico Yes No
    Ujfalusi Atletico Yes No
    Aguero Atletico
    Dominguez Atletico
    Godin Atletico
    Luisao Benfica
    Sidnei Benfica
    Osman Everton
    Hangeland Fulham
    Denisov Zenit
    Lombaets Zenit

• Like Like x 4
  2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

@Jmustang1968

Possible front page news? Use what you need/want!

3. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Thanks for all your hard work Basis... but you couldn't have cooked the numbers a little to get me a better draw? Needless to say, Everton is not the team I was hoping to draw in quarterfinals.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Nope, no cooking of the numbers no matter how nicely you ask! ;)

It looks like the only pairing of two teams from the same group was Fulham & Juventus. I was hoping it wouldn't turn out like that, but that will be one hell of a series again. The rest will be fun as well. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the Lyon vs. Atletico home/home turns out - two TOTALLY different styles of play in that one. The four that advance will surely earn it!

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

how does this stage work exactly?

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Knockout Rounds
    After the group stage has completed, the top two finishers in each group will advance to the knockout rounds. The 8 teams making the knockout rounds will be thrown into a hat and will be drawn at random to fill in the bracket.

The knockout rounds will be home and home series' and use aggregate scoring to decide the winner. In the event of a 180 minute aggregate draw, which would mean both teams aggregate scores are tied AND their AWAY GOALS are the same, standard Extra Time and Penalties will be used (see below). Winners advance to the next round, and we'll go on until we crown the winner of the Champions League.

Should extra time be needed, please play a new game using FOUR (4) minute halves. If you made any substitutions, that should be your starting lineup. This is on your honor, so please try to be realistic. If you are tied after this 8 minute game, play the extra time and go to penalties afterwards. The winner of this game will advance.

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/tcl-1-format-regulations.45334/

;)

7. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

If we are tied after the 8 minute game, shouldn't it still go away goals and then penalties? As in, we're tied going into the short game, but a 1-1 draw sends the away team through while a scoreless draw and a scoreless draw alone sends it to penalties. I'm pretty sure that's the UEFA rule although I don't think all federations use that rule.

8. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

So is it the winner of A plays B and the winner of C plays D?

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Just looked up the actual rule for the Champions League. I honestly have no preference in how we should resolve these situations, I just think we should come to a conclusion before the games start just in case something like this pops up.

"For matches played under the cup (knock-out) system, if the two teams
    involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team
    which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure
    does not produce a result, i.e. if the two teams score the same number of
    goals at home and away, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes shall be
    played at the end of the second leg. If, during extra time, both teams score
    the same number of goals, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting club
    qualifies). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty
    mark (Article 16) determine which club qualifies for the next stage."

10. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Freaking Fulham again.. I'll see you this weekend :p BTW.. Stick to Golf ;)

11. AJ Hart MN

Porto v Everton should be one hell of a battle.. Wish there was a stream for that one.

12. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Seeing as I am the "New Man in Charge" (Lost reference anyone?) I think we should NOT include home or away goals for our knockout round here as a tie breaker. The problem I see with this is there is not inherent advantage to being home or away, and if we are going to follow home or away goals to determine the aggregate (especially is the above ruling where away goals count as double in extra time) we need to declare who is home and away now.

If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know.

@AJ Hart MN
    @Blaza
    @Darlon
    @ryalaman
    @Dylema
    @KnightNoles
    @Timpegoose

As soon as we hammer this out, I will open up the knockout round since we have been on a layoff for 12 days now and I am sure everyone is itching to get playing again.

13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

No away goals rule at all? I'm perfectly fine with whatever the boss man decides, but I think I'd prefer an away goals rule for the 1st 180 minutes but probably not one for extra time. I know there's no real advantage to being home or away, but away goals still promotes a much more open and free flowing game since the away team has an incentive to actually attack.

14. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

If we advance today and I can get my match in with Everton today as well... I actually may be able to set that up.

15. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I can understand that 100%. I guess to me having home and away goals is somewhat arbitrary since there isn't any advantage.

What do other's think?

16. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I'd prefer no away goals rule since as you said there is no real advantage given to the home team in this game. If we do go with the away goals rule though I'd like to see it not count after regular time.

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I think ultimately the advantage will be there because it will dictate how each team will play. The pressure is on to keep a clean sheet at home and get the important away goals like real life.

But I'm cool with either setup.

18. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I will continue to wait on the final input from @AJ Hart MN @Dylema @Darlon @Timpegoose before setting the final ruling.

As of now, I have three votes going for home/away goals, but not counting it double in extra time and one vote for just playing it straight up.

19. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I think I agree, away goals for the first 180 sounds good to me.

20. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

When are we opening up the games for this week? I'm gonna be leaving tomorrow morning (pretty early) and will be back on Saturday but then I have to move back in to school and get some other stuff done, so my availability may end up only being something like Monday night (although its possible that I'm more free also... I'm just not sure) so I'd prefer to be able to play my games against Darlon tonight if I catch him on live. Especially since it seems like most of us are in agreement on the away goals rule.

21. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Good luck to all involved here. I'll be watching closely!

BTW, my .02 (not that anyone is asking) is make away goals count in first 180. Would promote some awesome matches.

22. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

YOU SHALL WAIT... lol

23. AJ Hart MN

Do you mean stream it??

24. AJ Hart MN

I like the away goal rule also..

25. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

The majority has ruled in on this. See the main post for details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.