Champions League Weekly: Quest to Qualify (2/21)

Discussion in 'TCL: Tradition Cup Events' started by Basis4aDay56, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

[​IMG]

Champions League Weekly - The Quest to Qualify

Feb. 21, 2010

As the TFL's second season began, there was a lot of anticipation for all clubs involved. After the success of the inaugural season, expanded interest led to a new club draw where both old and new were to get a fresh crack at building their name alongside the name of a traditional mainstay of the football world. The decision to expand from 4* to 4.5* teams brought some of the most storied names in club football around the globe to the forefront of the TFL. AC Milan, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Juventus... and the list goes on and on. The different club dynamics led to truly great choices depending on one's particular play style from the first pick to the last. By combining the factors of the fresh teams, the growth of the league, and the chance at a new beginning, the excitement around the TFL was genuine.

Another aspect of this excitement was the addition of a Champions League tournament to the TFL mix. Now, not only does each manager have the chance to prove greatness by being the most consistent over an entire season in his league, he has the chance to prove he is truly the best by topping the competition in the league-wide cup. Can the giants of the league maintain their dominance and take the crown? Can a newcomer with a slightly less formidable squad manage to pull an upset for the ages?

Even those less creative minds can start to conjure up fantastic images of yet-to-be written football lore. As the day approaches, there is but one certainty: only 16 clubs will vie for the Champions League crown. And so, here we are, one matchweek to play before the field will be set, and plenty can happen; the table is almost entirely open for those that can play their way in.

To start to unravel the mess, we must first look at the combined league table of both the Premier League and League 1:

tfltablecombined.PNG

To this point, there are really only two groups that are clearly defined: the green group of three that tops the table, and the red group of two that resides at the bottom. That leaves a remarkable 17 teams vying for what is, realistically, 13 spots. Having said that, no one is actually mathematically eliminated should they lead their club to a perfect six point week.

By taking a look at the combined table, it is apparent that every match this week will have an impact on who qualifies and who doesn't. We cannot highlight every one, but here are some of the key Week 3 matchups to keep an eye on:

Villareal v. Liverpool: This one was completed early with Villareal taking the fixture by the score of 3-0, an important result for JFace to stay ahead of a team tied with him in points going into this week.

Arsenal v. Roma: Another already completed match, this one ended in a 1-1 draw. Coupled with a draw against Aston Villa this week, Roma will be left to sweat the rest of the results out, but a 7 point total could just be enough. Arsenal gains a crucial point. [From matchweek 2 but not included in the table update]

AC Milan v. FC Porto: A key fixture between two teams separated by a point ends with Porto distancing themselves on the back of a 1-0 win. This keeps Milan below the qualification line and Porto above it.

Hamburger SV v. Wolfsburg: Wolfsburg takes this one 3-1 to keep Hamburger under the qualification line and themselves above it.

Fulham v. Bayer Leverkusen: Leverkusen takes this one 4-1 in impressive fashion in what was a matchup of two teams tied on points. Both teams are ahead of the qualification line, but the loss by Fulham may have their fans and manager a bit nervous.

Galatasaray v. Benfica: Both teams are only separated by a point heading into this week of play with a lot riding on the match. Both clubs have both games against teams right around them in the table, so all 3 matches will have an impact on the combined table.

Dortmund v. Zenit: Two points separate these two clubs as the week begins, and if Zenit can come away with a win they have the easier 2nd game of the week (Bordeaux). Dortmund was dismantled by Everton 6-0 in their first match and will need to win to stay comfortably in the field of 16.

Those are some of the matches that have already been completed as well as some that have not as we march towards finalizing the 16 teams that will compete for the inaugural Tradition Champions League title. There is sure to be a lot of excitement this week!

Next week, we'll have a special edition of Champions League Weekly when the groups are announced with our expert panel's picks (panel will consist of those who miss out on the Champions League so that they may still participate).

The time is almost here; who will qualify??

• Like Like x 2
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

nice job Basis

3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Good stuff Basis. Its a logjam for those last 13 spots. I'm glad I picked up 3 points early this week that will hopefully put me through. I'm not too confident I can score on Galatasaray to pick up 3 points there lol. I'm excited for the end of the week to see how the draw works its self out. Hopefully we'll see some League 1 guys sneak through to the knockout rounds ;)

4. hedache

hedache Walk On

After tonight's make up game against Wolfsburg, Galatasaray now sits right between the green and blue group. We should be able to get in Galatasaray Benfica game tomorrow night, that should clearify things a bit more.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

One big game tonight as Bayern Munich will take on Arsenal. Munich is almost assured of their fate, but will look to play spoiler this week and, maybe more importantly, pick up their form.

Any predictions from anyone?

6. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

I'm interested to see who's gonna jump up and take that 4th top seed.. Alot of mediocrity here [​IMG] In reality Basis, if you can pull out 2 wins, you should be in.. I see the Arsenal/Bayern game ending in a 1-1 draw. Sorry Basis, your club will be on the outside looking in. [​IMG]

7. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Very good stuff Basis. And yes, I would be happy with the result AJ predicted. It will be tough, and after week 2, our form really isnt where we need it to be. We blew our chance to pickup 3 points when Vermaleen was sent off with a [​IMG] early in the match against Romo, and had to hang on by our fingernails to even force a draw.

Last night, we had a friendly versus Porto, that did not go according to plan as we were thoroughly dominated 2-0.

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Arsenal 2-0.

AS Roma finishes week 3 with 10 points and locks up a spot in the league. Now if we can just get on the same page as FIFA as far as what pressing straight left on the joystick means we should be able to finish better and win some matches.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I more so meant overall predictions of who makes it and who doesn't, thanks Cole haha

10. AJ Hart MN

It looks like little Galatasaray will be the other top seed..

Villareal and Arsenal both get in IMO..

Fulham will find itself on the outside [​IMG]

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I had a 6 point week. Hopefully I get some positive results from those teams ahead of me and nab it on goal differential. Looking through the results... I know I beat Tottenham, so they'll end up with 9 max. Villa drew twice so they should be on 9. I think Roma has 10 points, but is behind me on differential and goals scored.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the race for the 4th top seed breaks down like this:
    -Galatasaray needs 2 points out of the week. If they get that, they get the 4th top seed.
    -Benfica can get it if they win over Galatasaray and Galatasaray fails to win their last match.

The only 2 other contenders are Atletico Madrid and Porto. Both of which are long shots.
    -Atletico lost to Roma this week 1-0. They have a match with Arsenal tonight. If they win, they need to hope for Galatasaray to tie Benfica and then lose their final match. Atletico would then need to advance on goal differential.
    -FC Porto is the longest shot. They need Arsenal to get a result because they cannot take the top seed if Atletico wins. Then they must hope for Galatasaray to draw Benfica and then lose their other match.

Confusing? Good. It should be. Is it wrong? Also possible. Ah well. I tried.

12. AJ Hart MN

I already beat Spurs, your welcome [​IMG]

13. hedache

hedache Walk On

In situations like this, expect Galatasaray to tank it big time. :D Just like I did against the winless Hamburg, now that has that 1 win.

All in all, I would actually prefer one of the top seed teams in my group to take care of the others and make sure nothing funky happens. Then it's down to me taking care of my own business.

14. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

The groups are randomly generated, arent they? So top 4 doesn't really matter.

15. hedache

hedache Walk On

I thought it would be like champions league, where each group gets 1 one of 1-4 seed, one of 5-8 and so on to 13-16.

16. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I dont want to shoot myself in the foot here, but I think the number of teams is a little high to be honest. It's like the NBA where everyone makes the playoffs :)

17. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

The league description thread says random, but seeding is fine with me too. As long as I am playing, it works for me.

18. hedache

hedache Walk On

I don't care really. If I don't play Everton in group stage, I will have to play him somewhere to win the Champions League. Same goes for most other teams. So it wouldn't really matter to me. But it might to some others. If you are a low seeded team (in the current supposed seeding) and you end up in a group with top 3 seeds, that sucks for that team to even have a shot at a second round.

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

We end up with 7 points, hopefully will get us in...

20. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I tell you what, this is going to be interesting... we are about to flesh out the contenders and pretenders.

I am a pretender. [​IMG]

21. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Lol, maybe I should just play for the draw in my second match this week. I think 8 points would be enough to get in.

22. hedache

hedache Walk On

Are you playing for a Champions league seed for this season or LEague 1 standings? :)
    I think next season all of premiere and top 4 of League 1 should advance. Or top 8 of each division (which kinda doesn't make sense since there is promotion relegation between the two, but I can understand going that way for another season to settle team levels)

23. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Well I tanked this week. Had an awful result against Juventes and lost a close one to FC Porto, hope that doesn't kill my Champions League chances...

24. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Me too. It should be sealed up when Blaza and I play in about 15 minutes.

25. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

It will probably take 2 or 3 seasons for it to even out completely. That being said, it's probably better because it gives people an added incentive to true super hard to not get cut out of the league!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.