Championship Week

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Championship Week

... is here. Sorry for the delay.

2. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

Put up or shut up VT!

3. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

are yall getting it in tonight?

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I pick VT and Nebraska

5. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

Looks like VT chickened out like i though he would

6. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

it's 1am now i'm leaving for the trip at 3am... I got 0 sleep messing around with u bums.. I'll try and stall for as long as possible but you know how wife's are.....

7. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

FYI, as i just wrote that my wife came in here and said "look at you doing bullshit, we are not even done packing and you are bullshitting"

8. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

seeya boys, i'll b back on sun

9. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

my bad. late = doable. starting a game at 1230am when i have to get up at 530am, watch my 2 kids all day long while doing accounting and church work = undoable. forgive.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I understand. But now we're in a pickle. I mean, no one actually expects to wait a week to advance, do they?

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I would hate to wait, but I would hate to take the ball out of one of their hands either.

12. vatechhokie01

well ill say this...WV, Texas, VT, and FSU should all wish to wait. also...seems we should at least get a feel for FSUs ability to bowl it up and then recruit.

obviously if i win against the cpu...i will feel like a huge dbag. not cool.

13. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

My thoughts exactly.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

Both guys have done what could be reasonably expected of them. In fact, we all did. We got things done pretty quickly so guys could at least have a shot at playing each other.

I don't think it would be fair to expect Hokie to be available as late as last night went, and I also don't think it's fair to punish Sample, who went great lengths to make himself available. It is also not fair to punish the rest of us, who hustled to get things done as quickly as we could.

Whatever happens, someone gets hosed.

Now, considering the fact that we are in the middle of what I have been calling, in my own home, at least "The Warm-up Season," I would prefer to get it over with and get to the real ball game. I say that because, currently, we occupy all the top spots in the polls, and we basically never lose. It's boring the crap out of me, and the accomplishment that comes from winning it all under these circumstances isn't really much to brag about. I understand completely that it's possible I would be thinking differently if I were in the title picture, but I'd like to think I could see past the ease of the path. Now, winning a big game against another user is always a big deal, but knowing you're going to get to that big game for sure isn't exactly what I had in mind.

So, my opinion is that the stakes aren't really that high. We really haven't done much to make them so, so we shouldn't get too crazy about the hugeness of the thing.

In the end, the guy who is away is the guy who must allow the sim. That's the simplest way to do it, and usually the most fair. I think VT should play the CPU, and we should move on. We tried, and it just didn't work out, and a week is too long to hold up the league. Sample's efforts to be available make him a stand-up guy and we appreciate that, but we should keep moving.

On this issue, though, my voice is simply one of twelve. I'm not going to force the issue.

15. vatechhokie01

well again, im biased, and i want to wait. but i understand the thought. personally, i think we set up the poll and majority wins.

waiting and having impressive grace for a bunch of dads that joined the league for such "laidback-ness" (especially in the honest exceptions of having a dad who just had a baby and then an emergency death/funeral) doesnt seem unreasonable.

but i also believe a week is a hell of a long time and get that mentality and don't want guys to lose interest. i am fine with whatever...but know i want to play sample real bad.

i think we should vote. but i also think before you vote you should think about yourself in our situation. either way...either vote is def a legit and fair vote. hey, we could use the off-week to actually start playing Madden!

but im not the commish.

P.S. F you Archie for devaluing my championship (thats right mullen) you son of a bitch pile of monkey nuts.

16. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i don't mind waiting. i'm sure WVU wouldn't mind waiting either.

17. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

haha hokie I was thinking the same thing, if i win, bragging will occur warm up or not. Its not like we are kissing our sisters through a screen door or anything. my vote is we wait, you guys were great enough to work around my ever changing schedule (did I mention I broadcast HS Football so that starts Friday, Already!) but it was totally out of his control and just about everything was attempted. He earned his spot in that game so he should get to play it....but he is also a bag of douche

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Since I am essentially new, I will abstain from voting. I would want the guys to wait myself. But I also see what AG is saying about it. Tough decision and like it was stated above, someone is getting hosed here.

19. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I can symphathize with the circumstances and want to be supportive. If the majority of the group is cool with waiting, then I'm on board, too. And this coming from a dude who has trouble waiting a mere day to play. (And also lost a key week of recruiting to help speed things up!)

For the most part, I agree with AG. I'm a bit surprised at how well everyone is doing, and I think the league would be a lot more fun if we didn't have such a strangle-hold on the Top-10. Hell, I'm even considering pulling an SMU-type switch to make things even harder. So, in other words, I'm really looking forward to the new season and corresponding sliders.

I'd prefer to see AG's plan followed, even though it's not ideal. Championships and bowl wins are cool - but the league perception concerning wins shapes all that. As things get harder, the real league respect is going to be earned going forward. Plus, asking the majority of the league to wait a week for ANYTHING is a tough thing to do.

That all being said, I don't feel comfortable simming forward without the support of those involved. I just don't. So let's talk more and see where people stand.

20. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is the kind of thing us Ohioans are calling, "The Lebron Defense." Championships are championships, and all that. It's not wrong, necessarily, but the Jordans and Barkleys of the world say different. I happen to be a fan of these guys, who say that it matters not only that we win, but how we win.

Me, I think that, given the overall difficulty of the league as a whole, we may certainly brag about wins over users, but personally, I wouldn't go farther than that. We kind of stacked the deck.

Still, it's been fun. I just hope we do a better job next year of making it a realistic challenge. Then, we can brag all we want.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, I'm done beating this dead horse. I'm starting to feel like the guy who never shuts up. I've said my piece.

23. Goose

Goose Walk On

I think if we go forward, we sim every championship game not just the ACC title( I even made a title game, but it would not be fair to FSU if everyone else had the chance to win and he didn't Death happens and it's not planned. I don't think we can punish the guy for that. But I vote wait, but I understand that a week is a longtime. I'm cool with whatever is decided.

24. vatechhokie01

for arguments sake (cuz i am one smart mo-fo):

arch, there are only 4 undefeateds...only 4. not to mention theres not a team in the top 8 that is a UTEP, UConn, or Miss St (forgive me). isnt this what we love about college football? every single game is so huge. you lost yours. i didn't. the argument you might have is that Oregon and WV didnt have a chance to play another user this year. that is legit argument. but to win it all? Oregon is gonna have to prove themself.

and as for the others. texas? they won their game. it might not be hell and fire every year but this year was chalk full of nail-biters. the reality? the users and our juggernauts (cuz they again...are just that, not small teams) are the best in the country. you say its unrealistic. i say there is only 4 undefeateds. after the ACC game, maybe only 3. ask auburn a few years ago if this is realistic.

listen, im def with ya on the the league is too easy, yada, yada. couldn't agree more. but i also think we all played a long season and played on the exact same level playing field and the end result matches up pretty interestingly (for instance, next yr = harder but bowl season will be boring as hell if none of us play each other in bowls...as near almost all of us face up this year). couple this with, yes, a bit easy, but really not that far from unrealistic ending with 4 undefeateds, a few teams that had their one big game and lost it (as a VT fan, and you as an OSU fan, should completely understand this one huge make or break regular season game mentality) and now...here we are at the end. Sample could destroy an entire season. Mullen could finally play a user and get demolished. Nebraska could get redemption. sounds exciting to me. and half the excitement is that so much happens and hinges (potentially) on this ACC game.

of course I'm biased. I almost lost a couple. I remember my miracle against Boise. I beat monk while sweating bullets. and now i have a shot to win a natl title finishing with 2 user games. that would be a natl title facing Boise and 3 users. yep...i see that as legit.

I want that shot bitch....

and yes, I think if you beat Miami and were in my shoes you would want to wait.

(also doesn't help that your only supporters are crazy ego and easy...this might actually harm your argument, lmao)

love ya
    Heath

P.S. LOVE a good debate. bring it. and yes, can't wait until next yrs difficulty goes up. but i would also be bummed if all of us finish 8-4 and there is no top of the poll drama (we want sim/reality but we also all want that dream shot within such a context). again, we won too much, yes. but we also didnt put up tecmo bowl wins and numbers (minus carolinaeasys ass).

25. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

uh, speak for yourselves when putting up tecmo bowl numbers. sure i won my games, but there was doubt in almost every game i played.