Changes to Recruiting?

Discussion in 'The Flashback' started by hornfaninbama, Jan 29, 2014.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

-Cougars-, Austin1990, BPHusker, matthew34brown, qclassic 22, SunofGod5,

I wanted to get y'alls opinion on a few things. I think the time has come to discuss some changes to recruiting. We haven't been limitng the number of 5 star players we can sign. We do have some coaches getting to the point that they are in position to sign multiple 5 star players. My first question is do we want to limit the number of 5 star players a program can sign? If so, what do you think the limit should be? And my second is do we want to up the amount of scholarships we can hand out?

As far as the number of scholarships available to be handed out, we should all be close to the point that we could have underclassmen declare for the draft. We probably won't have a ton, but I'm sure everyone has a guy or two they're worried about. We could add a buffer for those guys, say 2 scholarships, or we could count up the players on our roster that could potentially be draft eligible and recruit enough players to fill those gaps.

If we do decide to add a buffer I lean towards the first option personally. That way everyone gets the same amount, and it's less for me to watch. If we went with option 2, the powerful schools would have more scholarships to hand out which could significantly alter the balance of power.
    As far as limiting the number of 5 star players...It's not like it used to be. We would have to limit the number of 4 star players as well. From what I've seen the 4 star guys end up just as good or better than many of the 5 star players, and there isn't as many schools fighting for them. I don't like the idea of limiting the number of players above X rating, because it diminishes the impact of scouting. It wouldn't be fair to keep someone from signing a 3 star player that comes in as a 78 because he signed four 4 star players above 75 already.

Obviously these changes wouldn't go into effect until next season, so it gives us a few weeks to talk about it and decide.

2. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

I think we should leave things as is if we are able to get 5 star recruits then clearly you have earned the right to do so IMO

• Like Like x 1
  3. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

I'm a fan of a Lasseiz-Faire recruiting approach. Basically what matthew34brown said, if you sign them then you get them. Offline the most I see teams getting is 4 5* guys and usually it's not me (I get 2-3 most years).

Scholarships I don't care about that much. The 2 rule is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

I say leave the 5 star as is I don't think anybody is able to load up on them. Scholarships it doesn't matter to me

• Like Like x 2
  5. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I don't mind either. And I don't care about the scholarships either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hornfaninbama

You need a new avatar.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SunofGod5

SunofGod5 Walk On

Don't care

• Like Like x 2
  8. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

9. hornfaninbama

-Cougars-, Austin1990, BPHusker, matthew34brown, qclassic 22, SunofGod5

Here's what we'll do then. Starting next season everyone will get a 2 scholarship buffer to add to their class. So if you're numbers add up to 13 scholarships add 2 and sign 15. That means everyone will likely have to make a few cuts every year.

Also I don't think it makes sense to limit the # of 5 star players so we will keep the restrictions on those as is for now. If it looks like someone is abusing it, then we will take another look at it.

I'll update the constitution later today and have everyone Herbie Hancock it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

How do you feel about conference changes hornfaninbama I would like some better comp! Maybe put Austin1990 back on my schedule

• Like Like x 1
  11. hornfaninbama

I like this 12 times

• Like Like x 1
  12. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Really though is that an option?

13. hornfaninbama

Its something we discussed at the beginning, but we never decided exactly how to qualify for conference realignment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

I say three conference championships in a row or three bcs bowl game wins idk... This would require me to win the MAC this year and my bcs bowl game if I get one, and I would have to win both next year as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

It'd be cool to get the Big 12 back up to 12 and add a conference championship game. Maybe do a West and East divisional breakup instead of the North and South like it was.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hornfaninbama

-Cougars-, Austin1990, BPHusker, matthew34brown, qclassic 22, SunofGod5

Let's have a pow-wow about this too.

I like the idea of being able to realign user teams into better conferences, but we need to decide what the coach has to accomplish to make it happen. I think the 3 straight conference titles, or BCS Bowl wins is a pretty good benchmark. Obviously you wouldn't have to move, but that would be a good starting point.

• Like Like x 3