Charlie Weis fired...

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Shaun Mason, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Charlie Weis fired...

Opinions?

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

He'll be a very good offensive coordinator for someone real soon.

3. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Good....Useless fatass.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Lucky bastard....$16M to leave, I would have tried to get fired too!

5. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Charlie resurrected ND from the ashes Ty Willie left behind (poor recruiting, no talent), for that I am thankful.

Charlie is a great X's and O's guy, but he can't motivate and he can't teach fundamentals. He belongs in the pros, I wish him well.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Sad to see him go, but it was necessary. Unfortunately this means that a lot of our younger guys are going to be tempted by the NFL. I wish Charlie well, but the team's record stands for itself.

7. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

Didn't Charlie have his best season's with Ty's recruits? I could swear he went 10-2 and 9-2 with Ty's kids.

8. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

But how much of that is Ty recruiting well and not just being Notre Dame and being able to have a top 10 recruiting class without even really trying?

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Those were Ty's recruits for sure. However, I am pretty sure that on the backend of his ND career he slacked big time on the recruiting trail.

10. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Free at last, free at last, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, ND IS FREE AT LAST!!!

I too wish him well but he just didn't relate to college kids, didn't motivate and didn't teach fundamentals as thiev pointed out. His teams were very undisciplined, they found a way to lose a lot of games they dominated the stats in, and he consistently took top 10 recruiting classes and coached them to 4, 5, 6 loss seasons.

Bring us ND fans a real college football coach for Christmas please. I would take Brian Kelly at Cincy, Stoops, but would really like to see Gary Patterson from TCU bring some defense to South Bend.

11. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Ty Willingham has a pretty good history of recruiting pretty good players and doing nothing with them. Look at Washington this season.

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think it's funny how Stoops' name was thrown in the hat (he publicly stated that he was confused as to why the media would suggest his name). Even if he were to be offered the position for some ungodly amount of money, I would imagine OU will just match it.

Not to mention he is sitting pretty good where he is at right now.

I think Notre Dame will be better off getting a pro-style offensive coach to come in. At least he won't have to recruit players to fit a system and he might even convince Weis's recruits to hang around. Last thing they need is some sort of Rich Rod situation or the Irish can get ready of another two to three years of mediocrity.

13. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Weis' 2007 season (he went 3-9) was a direct reflection of Ty's recruiting (or lack thereof).

Well, I am not going to go dig up the exact numbers, but ND only had about 6 scholarship O-Linemen in 2006 and I remember the D-Line being in a much worse position. He had gone 2 full seasons without recruiting a single linemen on either side of the ball!

In 2005 and 2006 as our much larger upper classes graduated, we were left with something like 10 players under the scholarship maximum.

CW has at the very least done three things:
    * replenished talent, showing that ND can recruit on an elite level
    * shown tremendous love towards the university
    * worked TIRELESSLY. He gave it his all.

Unfortunately, he didn't have a complete deck of cards when he got here.

14. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Re-read the Stoop comments -- they were pure coach speak. He was very specific in what he said, but you can throw it all out of the window because of the word "intend".

What you intend to do has nothing to do with what you will in fact do.

He could have just as easily said, I will NOT coach at ND next season. or I will be coach at OK next season.... but he decided to use coachspeak, "I intend to be the coach next season"

15. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  16. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Let me refresh everyones mind about how much attention we should pay to coaches when they are talking about themselves:

After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama job

----

Im just saying lets all let it play out ;)

17. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Replace those quotes and links to quotes by DickRod and the Charleston Gazette newspaper from WV and you have DickRod's bag full of lies before he left for Michigan.

18. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Exactly Mors.

Aas an ND fan and alum I'm holding out hope for Stoops.

Having said that, I would put the odds of Stoops going to ND at 20:1 or so. Most probable scenario is that he gives ND a little play and then gets a raise from OU.

Worst case it will remind the OU fans how good they have it, in the middle of a very mediocre 7 and 5 season.

19. Juggernautblitz

I think Stoops has sort of plateaud at OU and would seriously consider coming to ND. I however would rather see Gary Patterson from TCU or Brian Kelly from Cincy come build their own thing in South Bend.

20. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

I would be very happy with those 2 choices, but if Stoops is a possibility you have to sit with him and give it a shot.

21. Juggernautblitz

No doubt Stoops would be a big upgrade and would automatically keep us in the top 10 in recruiting and maybe make us better at recruiting. What I don't like about Stoops is I think there would immediately be comparisons to how he did at OU, everyone would expect him to win 10 games right away and things could get ugly quick. A guy like Patterson or Kelly comes in after some down years and they will have a couple years to shape the program before the pressure would get really ramped up.

22. danielm025

danielm025 "Wreck 'em Tech!"

If Stoops does go to ND and Patterson to OU, I fear for the Big 12. I think if Patterson had the talent of OU on his side he would be unstoppable. As far as Charlie Weis goes, I agree with the X's and O's portion, he's good with that. That's good for the NFL, but I think college kids are a whole other deal compared to NFL players. He just couldn't get the talent out of his guys IMO. I got these figures from Rivals.com.

2007 Recruiting Class - #8 in the nation
    1 - 5 star
    12 - 4 stars
    4 - 3 stars

2008 - #2
    3 - 5 stars
    16 - 4 stars
    4 - 3 stars

2009 - # 21
    1 - 5 star
    9 - 4 stars
    5 - 3 stars

2010 so far - #11
    1 - 5 star
    8 - 4 stars
    9 - 3 stars

That is big time underacheivement...

23. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Honestly I'm surprised they did this just because of the amount of money involved. To have to pay Weis and then go out and get a new coach and pay him adds up.

24. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I think a lot of people love to make excuses for Weis. He was a good NFL offensive co-ordinator. He got too cute at times when I watched Notre Dame and he never put together a defense. People love to bash Ty but his record was the same as Weis. And Weis' best years were with Ty's players. He had five years and was 6-6 his last year. No excuses.

A lot of people love to say Weis recruited so much better. I don't follow recruiting closely but I do know recruiting classes are often over hyped. Some kids get ranked higher just because a few big schools are looking at them. Doesn't mean they are going to be great. How they turn out is what matters. And this article criticizes some of Weis recruiting methods: http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/charlie-weis-as-great-recruiter-not-all-agree

25. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Stoops isnt going to leave Oklahoma