Chat with the Coaches 2012 Season 3

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Oct 14, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Let's get this stuff back up and running! I'll kick it off.

After my big win over Stanford in week 1, the Wildcat fan base is buzzing. The expectations of the fan base have gone through the roof for what seemed like a 5-7 team on paper to now potentially be a 7 or 8 win team. I've got the ball rolling now and there's a long way to go in the season. Hopefully I can keep that momentum going.

The big win vs Stanford has already impacted our recruiting efforts as some nice recruits have moved Northwestern up their boards. The biggest news was the signing of a :3stars: CB in week 2.

The defense was again the key to the game against Stanford. That unit overcame 3 turnovers by the offense and found a way to play together to hold Stanford to only 17 points. They'll be the key to our success all season long.

Topics for discussion:

jello1717 - The buildup to the game against Wisconsin was huge. In the media, you didn't give your team much of a chance. Obviously that wasn't the case behind closed doors. What was the deciding factors in your keys to victory that enabled you to take down the Badgers on the road?

dakota7 - You set the bar pretty high for your Badgers in the preseason preview. What does this early season loss to ASU do to those expectations? What's the mood like up there in Camp Randall right now?

Nautica - You're finally getting your shot at the Huskies. You and coach Randy have quite the history in the public forums. Do you plan to let out the aggression on the Huskies when you two square off? Any thing in particular you're going to say to the Huskies HC before the game?

Randiesel75 - Many of the college football analysts have overlooked your huskies this preseason. However, a small few in the know seem to think your squad is ready to rumble this season. How do you see your team, and what kind of attitude do you bring into the game vs your cross country rival Nautica?

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I wouldn't say that I didn't give us much of a chance. I said that if we played like we did last year we had no shot. I said that if we improved in 5 specific areas we could keep it close and if we improved in those areas and won the turnover battle we could win.
    We were able to do just that and played a terrific 2nd half (I'm most impressed with my defense) and were able to pull off the upset. I'm disappointed that a victory over the #3 team on the road only lifted us from #24 to #20, but rankings don't really mean squat at this point so it doesn't matter.

Given our personnel, I'm fairly pleased with where we are now. Eubanks should be able to hold down the fort for this year until I can get someone faster and quicker into Tempe. We've got some potential candidates already lined up and we're pursuing all of them full bore. Defensively, I've been trying to transition to a multiple defense with the main focus on the 3-4. So far, I haven't had the MLB depth required so I've had to play mostly a 4-3. This year, while we still don't have the stud MLBs we need, our #2 DT is just as crappy as our #2 MLB so I'm able to work a lot more 3-4 into the mix like I want.

MaslerBoros16 - Your season got off to a rocky start with a loss to the Wildcats. Your team has lost some horses. Will you be able to right the ship and get to a 3rd straight CCG? If so, what do you need to do differently to get the W this time?

UofCWildcat - No other user has given you the respect that I'm sure you feel you deserve. You've now beaten #1 Oklahoma and #1 Alabama in back to back years to go along with your national championship. What do you think you need to do to get the other coaches to stand up and take notice?

Nautica - You're the first team (I believe) to get to 6* prestige. You're recruiting against some powerhouses in the south. Do you expect to bring in the kinds of recruiting classes that can just dominate on the field, and if so, how long until you expect to see that happen?

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Our goals for the team are always the same, win the B1G. Our fan base has higher aspirations and if we win the B1G, we'll be right there at the end.

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I honestly don't know. I feel like if it were Me vs a Bear with a Shotgun and i broke the mother fuckers neck while taking a shell to the hip and walking away from that, you guys would just sit there and be like "Shouldn't of got shot by that shell." But if i did win another National Title and went undefeated again, that STILL wouldn't mean anything. Now, if i'm consistently at the top of the rankings with my own guys from recruiting, then i feel i will be respected.

5. GoGators

Won't happen.......you're the FNG after all!!!

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I know! But i did beat Bama! And Oklahoma! And South Carolina when the were ranked in the top 10. NO LOVE!!!!!!!

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Find new horses, fight just as hard as I did the last two years. To get the W in the CCG game I need to have productive drives and stop getting beat deep. Maybe try some different defensive plays, I was pleased by the results in the Northwestern game, defense was not to blame on that loss.

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

First, thanks for taking the time to sit down with me prior to our big week-3 match-up against Arkansas. Your timing could not have been better. I mean, is this a big week for both teams or what. We both come into this game after a bye week sitting at 1-0 on the early season. Therefore, besides going into Arkansas and having to play on the road, we really believe this is a great match-up. Regardless of what has transpired in the past between us, we treat this game like any other on the schedule. We hold no grudges toward coach Nautica and look forward to this new rivalry that has surfaced over the past few years.

As far as being overlooked, we love it. We absolutely love being the underdog and being able to operate under the radar. We feel this gives us a clear advantage by allowing the team to truly focus on the areas for improvement without any outside detractors. We are very happy with the new talent we have in our organization this year and I am very excited to watch them grow.

9. GoGators

Wildcats Week 6 Update:

Headed into week 5 I really felt good about my offense. I'd made the change at the start of the season to move to the spread attack I like to run and things had been coming together nicely, and then I played the Spartans. JCspartan2 played the perfect game to beat me in this one. Coming into the game the offensive gameplan was to loosen the Spartans D up a bit with the pass before cutting HB Trumpy loose on them. Well, that didn't go as planned.

The Spartans opened the game with a clock chewing drive to the red zone that ended with a Maxwell pick. I even said to my other coaches "man I love that Maxwell!" as he'd just thrown his 5th INT against us in his career. I dialed up the offense and hoped to hit a couple quick passes but JC wasn't having it shutting down a play action and a couple short attempts resulting in a 3 and out. MSU would put together another nice drive capped off with 7. I struggled on offense again throwing an INT and before I knew it, JC was up 14-0. That effectively took Trumpy out of the game and Watkins couldn't handle the pressure as he'd throw multiple INT's in the game.

The high point of the game came in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to play, FR QB Doucette came on and led an effecient 2 minute drill resulting in our lone score. (My kicker shanked a 40 yarder earlier in the game...notice I said my kicker, not me haha). The student body has been calling for Doucette all week to take the starting role, but I'm too smart for that. A TD drive against a prevent defense doesn't put you in the starting job. I'll be sticking with Watkins but Doucette definitely earned a few more looks that's for sure.

Next up is an rivalry game with in-state Illinois. Hopefully the offense bounces back and week 5 is nothing but a memory.

10. dakota7

Things don't get any easier this week for the Badgers, as they host the red hot Michigan State Spartans. This game is a rematch of the 2011 B1G championship game, a game that Sparty thought it won. The Badgers will look to force turnovers from QB Andrew Maxwell and control the game on offense. This is a pivotal game to open the B1G season.

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

It's going to be a really fun game. I'm getting pretty jacked up for it. A little preview for this weekend?

12. GoGators

Great timing for this game to happen.

13. dakota7

Because we're playing in the OD and because the two teams are playing in real life? I agree.

14. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Coach Questionnaire:

It's seasons end here in the E for season 3. Great job this season in getting games done in a timely manner and moving this thing along. We've had our problems but if you look around the site, we are much more stable than the majority of other leagues and for that, I thank you guys. T1 is even struggling to continue now.

Anyways, now that we are near the end of the season, tell me what you think about a few key areas regarding your team:

1) Did you live up to expectations this year? Did any players surprise/disappoint you on your team?

2) How did you fare in your user games this year? Do you think guys are starting to figure you out and adjustments need to be made? Are there certain players from others' teams that have been giving you fits?

3) How do you see the CCGs ending up? National Champion?

4) Looking ahead to next year, we are on the verge of having the majority of our rosters made up of guys we recruited. Do you see next year as a rebuilding year? Or is next year the year for you? Are there any specific players that have flown under the radar thus far, but you think will have breakout seasons next year and become the new poster-guy for your team?

Nautica
    GoGators
    MaslerBoros16
    dakota7
    blLL flo
    jello1717
    Randiesel75
    UofCWildcat
    edge7771
    Big Suge Knight
    Darkwing

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

My biggest thing with having almost all of our recruits playing next season is that most of us should be on an even playing field with the exception of Gators and Randy. I'm not sure how good the recruiting was at tenn before darkwing took over, but it shouldn't be too bad considering his offense was something like an A and his D was rated a B+. It should be real exciting here the next few seasons.

16. dakota7

Coach Questionnaire:

1) Did you live up to expectations this year? Did any players surprise/disappoint you on your team?

We had two disappointing non-conference losses early in the year, but our goals are always centered around B1G success and we are right in position to achieve those.

2) How did you fare in your user games this year? Do you think guys are starting to figure you out and adjustments need to be made? Are there certain players from others' teams that have been giving you fits?

An early season loss to coach Jello and his Sun Devils sticks in our craw.

I'm looking for Georgia and Stanford to win their respective CCGs. Of course, I'm picking Bucky in the B1G. I'll take Oklahoma for National Champion....haha.

4) Looking ahead to next year, we are on the verge of having the majority of our rosters made up of guys we recruited. Do you see next year as a rebuilding year? Or is next year the year for you? Are there any specific players that have flown under the radar thus far, but you think will have breakout seasons next year and become the new poster-guy for your team?

Our recruiting has been strong, so the biggest problem next year looks to be the default players left as Juniors and Seniors. Those players aren't particularly strong and I expect a lot of young players to see significant playing time.

17. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

On defense i feel we've dropped off. Not as many turnovers. Same on offense, same thing. Receivers drop balls more and the talent level definitely shows. We still have two ultimate goals in a repeat in both the Pac-12 Championship and a slim chance at a National Championship

I feel I did so-so. I got wins vs a scrappy Washington team and then my rival Arizona St which helps a lot with my promises to recruits and my pride. But huge loss to Georgia was a measuring stick that we are WAY behind on the recruiting trail. We'll get there though. We'll be a :5stars: program next season (pending a potential let down) and we can hopefully get there. IMO the Stanford loss is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. We are equal to or even better than they are and we were very unprepared. It's gonna feel good to play them again in the CCG and hopefully redeem myself.

Stanford is gonna be a tough one. We got a scrappy Colorado team which seems to give me fits every year so we'll wait to see how that goes. So i see a CCG that will be very competitive and if i can get to the National Title, I'll have to play a user more that likely.

I think next season will hinge on my OOC schedule. How i fair there will tell how i am. I am playing with some pretty average players. So if i can continue to produce in my system i'll be able to control the South with Arizona St.

18. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

We have played pretty well this season. Our offense has been strong behind Murray, Malcome, and Tompkins. The front 7 of the defense has been great all year, but the secondary has been a bit of a work in progress being young and trying to gain experience. Our expectation was to be in the SEC championship game, and we are there, now we must win it.

We need to figure out those damn Spartans. They have been a thorn in our side since our days at Clemson. We gave the defending National Champion Arizona their first loss. The defense played very well in that game leading us to the win. In SEC play, we only matched up against UT. It was a great game that went into OT and looks to be the start of a great rivalry.

The SEC championship will be tough no matter who shows up from the West. UGA lost to Alabama earlier this year, and lost to Arkansas last year in the title game. In the B1G it looks like a big show down between MSU and UW. I'll take MSU, I think Sparty gets their sim-loss title back. In the PAC-12 I like Arizona over Stanford. I think the Cats are confident after the big win over ASU. In the title game, I think it's Oklahoma and then the B1G winner MSU. I think they jump a 2 loss UGA team even if they win the SEC. JC gets reparations from season 1 lol!

This team will be strong again next year. We will have to break in a new QB, but he bears the same name so it might be business as usual. Our running game will be even better next year as Kimbrough as shined in limited action. The WRs are there and now a year older. The same goes for the secondary. The front 7 will have a different look with a lot of SRs leaving. MLB Ron Robinson will break out next year along with some stout DTs. We expect to be back in the SEC title race again next season.

19. jello1717

1) Did you live up to expectations this year?
    My expectations were:
    "ASU will definitely lose some games this year, but they should be able to compete for a Pac12 championship. That's not a terribly realistic goal, but it's more realisitic than it would've been last year."
    so, yes, my team lived up to my expectations. We came 4 points away from a CCG appearance and we've had another great year at 9-2. With a bowl win could finish with 11 wins. With this team, that's a great accomplishment.

Did any players surprise/disappoint you on your team?
    I had this to say about Eubanks before the season:
    "The QB is way too slow (77) but he's at least serviceable until he can be superceded by a FR recruit in the future."
    "Will Eubanks continue to pass as well as he did last year, or will he play down to his ratings?"
    Eubanks has had a brilliant season. He's done an amazing job on the ground, given his speed, and passing the ball he has been one of the top 3 user QBs and the best QB in the Pac12 all year long. Also, WR J.J. Holliday has had an absolutely monstrous year and will be greatly missed next year. I have been disappointed by my defense from time to time this year, but I knew going in that they weren't nearly as strong as I would like.

We went 2-1 in user games this year including a HUGE win on the road against dakota7 . The only blemish was against UofCWildcat and we came extremely close to winning that one. No players have given me fits, but I fucking hate Arizona's 3-3-5. I beat them in season 1 when they didn't play the 3-3-5 and I've never beaten them since they've switched. I couldn't even get an offensive TD last night against it. It seems to cover 95% of the field at all times and I can't run against it (inside or out) and I can't throw anywhere on the field except for the flats. The part that bugs me is that it isn't a talent difference and it's 100% scheme. I'm pretty sure he could have nothing but 60s rated guys and I still couldn't do anything against it.

I see MaslerBoros16 winning the Pac12 CCG at home (and I still think it's fucking stupid as hell having a home team for a CCG), blLL flo over Bama in the SEC and JCspartan2 over Bucky in the B1G. The NCG is tough to pick this early. The sim engine seems to have a real aversion to having teams go undefeated (from what I've seen through 9 years of offline) so I figure Ok. State will beat Oklahoma so we could see a user v. user NCG depending on who wins their CCGs. If put on the spot, I'll take JCspartan2 over blLL flo for the title.

My first year's recruits came from a :3stars: school while the next was from a :4stars: school. Due to that, the guys I've recruited thus far suck ass so we'll be rebuilding (again) for the 3rd year in a row. I'm still 2-3 years away from having a good team. While true FR HB Love has had a fairly quiet year (after a completely mute first half of the season) I still expect big things from him in the future. I've also got some recruits from this year (a couple signed and a few I'm still trying to sign) that I'm pretty excited about.

20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

No worries. It's gone next season. 3-4 next season

21. GoGators

Just Toshing that out there I see :)

1) Did you live up to expectations this year?

The verdict is still out on this one. This is the youngest (read least talented) team I've ever gone through a season with so I'm not sure what the expectations should of been. To open the year I felt 6-7 wins would be the goal and I've achieved that. I've lost to 4 teams that were all much more talented than my Wildcats so I can't really hang my head there. The CPU played well and I thoroughly enjoyed the losses I suffered. The loss last night to BYU hurts a bit though. I should of won that one.

Did any players surprise/disappoint you on your team?

I don't like to single anybody out. We win as a team and lose as a team, but off the record, I can't wait for QB Watkins to graduate!!! I've never seen a QB throw so many INTs. What's really disturbing is he actually has pretty good ratings for a pocket passer. I guess I have to take some of the blame here as the scheme I put around him wasn't best fit for him. (The passing game in spread option books is limited.)

Surprises, there really weren't any. I thought Kellen Williams my #2 HB would of been more electric, he was still solid but not the big playmaker I was hoping for.

With the talent on this team, going 2-2 in user games is the highlight of my season. We got taken to the shed by MSU and Wisconsin but that was kind of expected. Big wins over Pac-12 N champion Stanford and Michigan were solid though. As for the gameplan, I don't think anybody has figured me out yet. I think it's more so the fact that I haven't put together a strong gameplan for the guys playing the game yet. Hopefully with my guys taking over in season 3 this should change.

Pac12 - UofC
    SEC - Bama (if Bill's man enough to take a loss :))
    B1G - Wisconsin that offensive line is silly good.

Next year the Wildcats will still be very young but I'm hopeful with some of the style of guys I want stepping in it will make up for that. The talent level will hopefully be on the rise as these players grow a bit more, but it'll still be another development year. The trenches is the biggest issue right now and it simply takes time to build those areas up.

22. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I already lost to them during the regular season! Time for payback!!

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

I believe we are exceeding expectations. The season has been great after a rough 1-2 start that involved a horrible loss to USF. My HB Wright has been the big surprise on offense, he is a low 80 something but does his job like any other HB in the nation. Then we have the FR CB Ford on defense who has absolutely blown me away with 9 picks and is just an outstanding shut down corner. He still makes the occasional mistake but has been improving since the season began. Oh and Picazo is a horrible QB for some reason, don't let his rating fool you.

Gave GoGators a good fight that didn't end up with me in a state of near aneurysm. The game vs UofCWildcat was insane but I think we play more efficiently and were able to come away with the W. And then the simmed win vs Randy which I take no credit for. I figure I will face a user in the Pac 12 CCG and need to come up with a gameplan that is just off balanced and confusing to my opponent all around to finally win the crown.

SEC = Bill, Pac-12 = Myself ;), B1G = Dakota. If Dakota wins out including the CCG, he will see himself in the NCG but I believe Bill still has a shot in getting in. Hard to tell this year because I feel I even have an outside chance to sneak into the game if Arizona, Georgia, Oklahoma and Wisconsin fall...and thats a BIG ass if.

Next season will begin a new era at Stanford but I viewed this season as our rebuild year...we may have some struggles with linebackers next year but I am confident we will put up the same fight. I would love next year be the year for me but I won't make any promises. As for poster-guy....if we break it down by position it will be QB: Warren vs Crower HB: Wright vs Young and then I believe WR Peterson will be the go to guy.

24. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

I clearly did NOT live up to the expectations I placed on this team to start the season finishing at 7-5. I figured going in that the SEC was going to be rough, but that definately took more adjustment than I envisioned. This team had the talent to be conference champs. That is why I'm unsettled at the job I did.

I was disappointed in my defense. I am use to coaching a dominant defensive line and they couldn't live up to that status. I will need to strengthen that group from more stability in the program. On the bright side, I knew nothing of DaRick Rodgers before this season. The man is a beast of a receiver and it's very saddening to see him go.

I did pretty well at 0-3 lol. I felt the loss to Nautica was just as close to the OT loss to Bill, the 2 picks 6's aside. I was blindsided in my game against Edge. I didn't think Ole Miss could have the horses to run with me no matter how good he was. I was wrong. Swag deflated :(. His offensive balance along with defensive play opened my eyes to how the season could play out. Against Bill, the white-knuckle pressure got to me. I don't even remember much of the game as I knew that this game decided the SEC East winner. His defensive front seven gave my O-line problems. As for Arkansas, the first pick 6 killed me. I thought I had you right where I wanted if I drove down for a score then you made the play. Just demoralizing man.

As a whole in my user games my 3rd down defensive inability really hurt. I do not look forward to any more quick passes to the TE or FB dives. Run the damn spread offense guys lol.

SEC - Georgia will fix the mistakes they made earlier in the season and take down the Tide by 10.
    PAC-12 - Gotta give respect where it's due and the defending National Champs are going to be in the stadium so they'll walk out with the hardware. 14 point favorites.
    B1G - Sparty makes its last huge push into the NCG. MSU by 4.

I am still 3 seasons away from this :( as I see next season as a big rebuilding project. I haven't looked thoroughly at my team lately but I know I will lose Bray, Neal, Rodgers, and a couple O-linemen as well as my SS Brewer in the 26 seniors that I have (9 are RS Seniors). Meaning this season should have been my year.

Next season look for my return specialist to be Mr. Everything until I figure out what else the team can do. If you don't know who I'm talking about that would be Devrin Young, a Junior next season, who loves the open field with his 96 speed and 99 acceleration. Highlight material ;)

25. jello1717

Sometimes I REALLY wish this game weren't so predictable...