Cheese Chat

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Since we're about to go into our first set of user games, I thought we could talk about some of the stuff that we find annoying. All of us have routines, so I thought I would open the floor for discussion, so we can get on the same page.

We all know the basics (repetitive play calling, show blitz/press cover on every down, etc.) so I thougth we might add a few things that we can all agree on.

My personal pet peeve is split between stacking the line and pressing on every snap, and manually adjusting several players before the snap. I also hate the user catch ( it just looks weird) but I think some of us use it, so I'm not about to try to ban it.

Some of us have more online experience than others. What kind of stuff is going on in this year's game?

2. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Now I've only played people who are straight up sim players, but it seems than zone coverage has really cut out slants posts and drags from working as much. That was my biggest peeve last year. People would only throw to those routes. I made it a priority to try an throw different routes last year which didn't pay off as much as I'd have liked it. This years game plays more to my style.

Also, I like people to call defenses corresponding to the offense. I don't want to be in I form and see a 3-2-6 formation out there. The flip side didn't bother me to much, because if you are in a 4-3 and I've got 4 wr and a hb going into routes odds are I'm going to find a dis advantage.

This is all from my experience last year. With the improvements to this tears game. It is a lot harder to do borderline annoying aspects of last years game

3. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I get a little annoyed with players who bounce nearly every run outside. Even their designed runs around the end tend to be far wider than they need to be, making their inevitable highlights unwatchable. It's so much more fun to see guys follow their blocks and utilize the run plays as they're designed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I have a lot of games in online. I haven't seen too many exploits. There is a weird squib-like kickoff that is tough for the up-backs to handle. That shouldn't be allowed. The rule would be easy. Use the built-in squib kick and only use it when it's appropriate.

I've also seen a squib-like kick on punts that always gets past the return guy. While the concept is valid, the game doesn't handle it well, which makes it an exploit.

I've seen a lot of guys run a goalline offense and just run Power to the outside. While I'm fine with this in short yardage situations and limited other situations, this falls under repetitive play calling and shouldn't be allowed.

I've also seen where the deep ball (particularly with Alshon Jefferey) will slip past double coverage from the safety and corner (when they seem to be in position). I don't think there is enough to come up with a rule for this, so treat this as an observation for now.

I personally don't use the user catch very much. If I throw up a duck, I may try to take over, but I rarely improve upon the situation. I think this fits into another scenario where it's hard to put a rule on it (until some a-hole finds an exploit and it spreads like wildfire).

Most of what I seen is the basic BS - not kicking when you're supposed to and running excessive and unnecessary no-huddle.

I try to mix up my play-calling, but I will run a lot of plays out of the same formation. It may seem repetitive, but I don't think it is. I almost never run the same play two plays in a row. I look forward to getting my first H2H game in next week and getting your feedback on my game. I know that Jeff and I have had countless classics over the last couple years.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We're banning the pre-snap guess stuff again this year, right? I think pass commit is fine, but that line crashing stuff is stupid. Anyone disagree?

As far as repetitive play calling goes, all I really want is to avoid those ten play "systems" that just suck to play against. I can line up in certain sets, make reads, and simply never make a bad play. I may throw a bad ball or fumble or whatever, but there are ways (fewer this year, thankfully) to know exactly what the other guy has called. The more of our playbook we use, the lees of this there is, and the more fun it is for everyone. If I see the same counter play out of the same set a dozen times in a 65 play game - that's just no fun. But certain concepts run out of several sets is different. If I run the Power O out of the I, Strong, Weak, I Tight, Weak Twin TE ... you get the idea ... then this is less of an issue. I just don't want to line up against the same set and one of six plays all game long. Maybe I stop it, and maybe I don't, but either way, it's just no fun. And I'd rather have a good time than win. I got loads of titles - now I just wanna hit guys and get hit back in non-repetitive ways.

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

What is our position on the aggressive and conservative gameplans?

7. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I don't fully understand the benefit of it, but I use the Pass adjustment when I'm expecting a pass. I never use the run adjustments. I can live with or without these based on whatever we decide.

8. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Unfortunately, my offensive execution is not such that I can execute at will (regardless of the number of plays I run). I certainly have my favorite plays, but I don't have any money plays in my current arsenal. I do like to run the counter, but I also like to run 6 other running plays out of that same formation. I completely agree that running the same play 12 times in a game is a little much. If I'm running the ball 40-50 times a game, I'm probably going to end up with 20 inside runs, but they'll be mixed in with dives, slams, slants, tosses, counters and draws.

I think that the more we all work to incorporate a higher number of formations and looks into our gameplan, the more fun we'll all have and our gameplans should benefit as well.

9. jca312

jca312 Walk On

+1

10. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I like to use these and don't see anything unfair or against the spirit of our league in using them. They seem to be balanced such that there is an advantage and disadvantage to using them. I would vote for keeping these fair game.

11. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I use them as well and feel they are pretty balanced. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any rules against them before I played a User Game and got reprimanded. :)

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

I only have seven formations in my playbook. Hope this isn't going to be an issue but that's pretty much how the run & shoot works.

13. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Not a big deal as long as there is a good mix of plays, in my opinion.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think most of those books have a really limited number of formations, but more play per formation than the pro style sets, so it's not issues. The run n' shoot is basically a four wide all the time kind of thing. There are only so many combinations.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Exactly and I do run many concepts out of those formations.

16. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

The biggest thing I feel is chesse is pass comitt and run comitt....even If the leagues allow it I refuse to ever use it..it is way to easy to pick pass committ at a obvious time an stop your opponen at will

17. soxandgators

Can we ban this in sim nation if it isn't already?

18. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I have not had as much success with pass commit as you're describing. Where I think that run commit makes a noticeable difference (see pick the right play on TecmoBowl), I don't see nearly the same effect on pass commit. It's not a critical part of my strategy, so I'm happy to adjust. Quite frankly, I still don't know what pass commit provides. I just do it with the hopes that it will make my defenders focus on pass defense. With the number of 3rd completions I've given up, I really can't say that I've found it to be very effective.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I would approve of it simply because I don't use it, but I'm also in favor of more stops and user games that aren't shootouts, so I guess I could go either way. Run commit should be banned for sure. Pass commit ... not so sure. If it's a sure thing, though (meaning it works most of the time) then it would do a disservice to guys running the spread and the run n shoot to allow it to stay. There's a few things to consider.

20. bdub

bdub Walk On

The only thing I can see that pass commit does is keep the defense from biting on play action.

21. soxandgators

Sorry should of elaborated a little better....it was easy in the early months of the 2011 release to shut down with pass commi. I don't mind if you guys use it. In my heart of hearts i just feel it is a advantage to me so I won't ever be using it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DC

DC Shake n Bake

My stance is the same as sox on this. I think you should use your own skills to get int. Not a computer boost. But it's not AS effective this year so I dnt has as much of a problem as last year

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I use the pass commit on third and long because in real life those dbs will be looking pass all the way.

24. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Just my opinion, but I hate this option. Just ask egofailure... He remembers my epic rant from CoC.

I straight up don't like to use it because I think it provides an advantage to the defense. In my opinion, if you think it's going to be a pass, then play with a safety or something back there to ensure you actually play the pass. Only way I'm going to use it is if my opponent does.

I'd love to see the option get banned from here. To me, it's easier to pick the ball as a USER this year than in years passed, same with CPU for that matter, and the pass commit seems to make it a even bigger disadvantage to the offense.

25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Another one that I don't like to see, is any of the game planning moved from the default settings, except accelerating or hurrying the line or chewing the clock at the end of the game.

I mean aggressively playing the pass can all be done manually if you're good enough with the sticks. Same with the big hit. Why let the CPU make it seem way more cheesy? At least if its user induced it plays more legit to me at least...

Another $0.02 from yours truly.