Cheesy or Not Cheesy

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Five_Fifs, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Quick question

I have a matter of strategy that I'd like for you all to give me some feed back on regarding our upcoming dynasty on the '13 cycle.

First, I'm taking UMass, who I am happy to say is the worst team on the game this year. Like anyone else, I'm trying to tun around my team as quickly as possible. Accordingly, to help this dead time pass, I've been playing around with recruiting strategies. Now, given the limited resources of recruiting (the finite number of recruiting and scouting hours) and the low prestige of my program, I'm resigned to the fact that early on I likely will not be able to successfully recuit a large number of impact type players unless I luck out and hit on a number of gems. Accordingly, I have to get as much production out of who I am able to bring on board as possible.

Which brings us to my question. I aggressively plan on recruiting a Chris Rainey-Jeffrey Demps-Reggie Bush (WR/HB) type player and maybe a Branden Smith-Brandon Boykin kind of player (Primarily DB, some spot duty as WR or HB)

Now, undoubtedly, these players are relatively rare in real life, but they do exist. My intention would be to use the DB/WR guy on all defensive sets and maybe receive 4-6 offensive touches a game as a 3rd or 4th receiver and occasionally on a HB screen or two during the course of an entire season.

Regarding the HB/WR guy, I'd like to assign him to different positions in different packages, most frequently as a HB or 2nd receiver or slot guy. I imagine end of the season stats would inlcude about 500-700 yards rushing and 400-500 yards receiving, maybe more depending upon exactly how talented the recuit it. The idea is that he is not a feature back, but more of an offensive athlete/ weapon in a running back by committee scenario where he slides outside as a secondary receiving option when another back's style is better suited to situation. (Think Reggie Bush playing in the slot whenever LenDale White came in)

I don't see this as cheesing, but again, I'm coming into your world and want to make sure ahead of time that I won't be doing anything that would like cause any issue.

2. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I don't see any problems with those situations, the HB/WR is fairly commonplace in the NCAA now and with the addition of triple threat athletes the WR/CB will actually be possible and it does have precedent(Chris Gamble is the first that comes to mind)

3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I think I've got a different opinion than Ryan. In the example you mentioned, you've got two guys that were drafted to the NFL. If you are going to do it with a team like UMass (or even me with Iowa State), you're most likely putting a second string HB in who has nowhere near the talent of the HB1. That said, I think you'd be ok doing it one-three times per game. The DB/WR one I think wouldn't work as well. I think if you look around FBS schools, you're not going to see too many d-backs coming in as a WR. Obviously there are the rare exceptions (Gamble, Charles Woodson), but in those cases you're looking at exceptional athletes. I'd think you would put those guys in their natural positions.

All this is said without knowing how the "triple threat" athletes are going to work in the game, and is obviously my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

4. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

I have no problem with it, never seen anyone do it before(in any of my OD) so I'm a little curious to how it would work. If your player plays 5-6 snaps on offense than on defense as CB he has no fatigue at all than I might have a little problem with that. Even though it wouldn't be your fault but the game itself, not being able to correctly adjust the fatigue level.

Because I know sometimes just for shits and giggles I would play Champ Bailey as WR in Madden than when he'd be on defense his fatigue level would be yellow-red(higher chance of being injured and burned). So it's high risk high reward for you if the fatigue level is accurate.

5. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I think that if you sign a 5* triple threat athlete at Umass you would be dumb to not have him on the field as much as his fatigue allows! Chances are he would be good enough at all 3 positions to be in your 2 deep, so why not! Also, you mentioned big time players, but there are teams at every level who are lining up backs in the slot and stuff. 2 way players are more rare, but not unheard of. I will say you just need to make sure you mention it in your team preview or something so that it's public knowledge that we could see that guy all over the field, that way you can be sure I won't accept any whining! Unless he is your leading WR even though he is a HB..... though if he is playing as HB, #2 WR and slot WR I wouldn't flip if he was 2nd or 3rd on the team in catches or even first if you had a group of like 4 guys within a few catches of one another.

6. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

@Parrothead That's a very good point. I never thought of it that way.....but I definitely see the logic in the argument, especially regarding the DB/ WR type players at lower level type schools. The more I think I about it in that light,the less inclined I am, for sim sake, to make use of a DB as a WR save for a trick play or two over the course of a season. At least until I'm able to recruit a triple threat kinda guy who ACTUALLY appears to be a superior level kind of athlete....

Regarding, HB/WR type guy...I'll definitely monitor that closely....maybe post stats on a week by week basis so that guys can give opinions as to my usage or something like that....I think there's a little more room for realism for this kind of combo player on the lower level FBS schools. I definitely will be receptive to all criticisms/ opinions once we actually begin everything

7. Wyrmreaver

Honestly, if you look at lower division football, like FCS, there are a number of 2 way guys.... if you had your CB in for say 3-5 offensive plays per game I say it's sim.

For the HB/WR option I say go for it just keep his touches within reason. There are guys like that all over the country.

8. Wyrmreaver

Especially if you run the spread..... Jet sweep and PA Jet sweep to the slot guy who is a HB? Hello Oregon!

9. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Sounds more than fair to me.

One final question......what're governing position changes for making TEs into fullbacks? I saw the rule about being able to change guys from position to another in the samew position group (OLB to MLB or CB to FS would be okay from what I understand). Do I need to limit this to athletes who have solid ratings at TE and FB? Or is it considered cheese if I only attempted this change with blocking TEs? Hell, would this be considered cheese at all being that they involve similar skill sets?

Thanks for all the feedback guys

10. Wyrmreaver

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/4th-horseman-league-description.78410/

11. Wyrmreaver

Just a weight/speed thing is all. The weight limit could be negotiable case by case, but the speed is a pretty hard cap