Chewing Clock

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by The Parrothead, Mar 3, 2013.

1. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

My thoughts regarding the chewing of the clock:

I looked back through the rules to check things out. The rule in there does spell it out:

Play Clock: If you are winning by one score at the beginning of the 4th quarter, don’t simply run the ball, wait till the play clock goes down to 1 second, and run another play. I know teams do that in real life, but in real life quarters aren't 6 minutes. Simply select a run play and then run it as if normal. If you have the ball under 2 minutes before the end of the 2nd or 4th quarter, you may run the play clock down to as far as you like. Chew Clock is an NCAA 10 feature that some have issues with. If you plan on using it before 2 Minutes left in either half I think permission is needed from your opponent. You may think your 10 points lead with 5:45 to go in the fourth is solid to chew clock but your opponent may not. Again be smart about this we are only playing 6 minute quarters.

Granted, you can tell the rule hasn't been revisited since the 2010 version of this game. I'm assuming that FSU did not talk about it with MSU at that point. That said, I think both parties have valid arguments regarding the situation. I don't think we should necessarily look to other dynasties and say their way is absolutely what we should be doing. For example, in T1, chewing clock would be allowed given the situation. The rule above is dated a bit, too, as we've actually added 4 minutes to every game we have (we're using 7 minute quarters versus the 6 written above). On the flip side, we're not truly playing a "full" game. I'd like to adjust the rule to allow for chewing of the clock inside 3 minutes remaining in the game, or within 4 minutes remaining if you are inside your opponent's 20 yard line. Additionally, sometimes it's ok to chew clock if your lead is pretty much set in stone and you're in no real danger of losing the game. All this said, I think it's going to be a bit difficult to police the manual running of the clock. I know some folks tend to take a while to pick their play, whether they're up or down, and others are fairly quick to get a call in. I think the best I can hope for is that everyone plays with what they feel is a level playing field and, if the situation was reversed, that they wouldn't feel slighted by what the other guy was doing.

Should you have any issues with the amendment I'm about to make, please let me know ASAP.

Riptides
    Will Atkinson
    UofCWildcat
    tar heel
    Burrcat2277
    Todd Ramsey

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

So the new rule is 3 minutes in plus up in the 4th inside your opponents red zone?

3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

3 minutes remaining in the 4th, unless you're inside the 20 and then 4 minutes remaining or less. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable chewing clock inside the 20 if I was only up a couple of points, as drives can be pretty quick in this game. I do think it can be a valid strategy for some, but I don't want the clock chewing to start at, say, midfield with that much time remaining. By using the 3 minutes remaining, you're actually equating it to about 6 minutes remaining in a true, 15 minute quarter game.

4. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Next time we should handle an issue like this through PM between the two parties and Parrot. This just looks shitty having it all over the boards.

5. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

I'm okay with either proposal.

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It's alright cause none of it is personal. Just constructive discussion. Better than the other issue we had...

7. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Probably. But I think you guys handled it maturely.

We have all seen worse blow-ups on the board.