Chiefs prevail over Raiders 24-22 in a battle of rookie QBs

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by saintsdave75, Jun 9, 2013.

1. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    In a key AFC West battle between a pair of 2-1 teams, each led by a rookie QB, Kansas City would come away with the home victory on a short Ryan Succop field goal at the final buzzer.

In a game that was back and forth all day, it was Oakland's rookie QB Kian McKenzie who would strike first, finding TE Kellen Winslow for the games first TD after converting an early interception by Chiefs rookie QB Tanner Hurns. After forcing a Chiefs punt, Oakland would add a Sebastian Janikowski field goal to go up 10-0. Kansas City would finally get on the board in the 2nd quarter when Hurns would hit WR Michael Crabtree for their first score of the game. The Raiders would then pin the Chiefs inside their own 10 yard line after punting on their next possession, which would lead to Hurns being sacked in the end zone for a safety late in the 1st half, Raiders up 12-7. A interception by MLB Joe Mays would end Oakland's chance for a score as the game would reach halftime with the visitors up 12-7.

Things would take a bad turn for the Raiders, as the Chiefs would pull ahead after a short drive after recovering a fumble on the opening kickoff of the second half. FB Jorvorskie Lane would put the Chiefs up 14-12 on a short TD run. The lead would keep changing the rest of the way, as it became apparent that whoever would have the ball last would likely take the game. The Raiders would add another field goal to go up 15-14 and the Chiefs would then respond with a Jammal Charles TD run to re-take the lead 21-15 in the 4th quarter. On the next possession, McKenzie would find a wide open FB Marcel Reese for a 60 yard pass play to go up 22-21 with 3 minutes left. This was just enough time for Hurns to lead his team down into position for a game winning field goal by Succop and the Chiefs would come out ahead 24-22.

Hurns would take round 1 of the rookie QB matchup between 2 of the highest drafted QBs of the past draft. Good game CSteud
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CSteud

CSteud Walk On

Jul 22, 2010
    Great game Dave, I cant seem to get over the hump vs. you. That second half fumble on the kickoff really changed the momentum. I'm getting frustrated with all the fumbles my team is making! Can't wait to do it again. Unfortunately I've got a bye week sandwiched between 6 sims. See ya week 12. :(
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1