Chiefs real NFL update (for Jason T)

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Subkontraktor, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

I was responding to Jason T in another thread, but I typed way too much and wanted to share with more people. This is why a made a new thread.

Sorry for the length, but I've got a lot of opinion on the Chiefs.

The Chiefs are still in somewhat of a rebuilding mode. Their talent is still young and they are trying to get more young talent around them. Some of the players are already (or were) in place: D. Johnson, T. Hali, G. Dorsey, B. Flowers, E. Berry, D. Bowe, J. Charles (we thought Cassel, I dunno though), McCluster, Moeaki, and Brandon Albert.

The Chiefs thought/think they have some other guys that are going to develop into decent starters: Javier Arenas, Jon Baldwin, A few offensive linemen, Tyson Jackson, Brandon Carr, Kendrick Lewis, but the jury is still out on these guys. Some of them aren't cutting it or aren't going to cut it as starters and a couple could develop into pretty good players.

Last season was a fluke. The Chiefs schedule was easy before the season and even more ridiculously easy in hindsight after the season. We had a decent coaching staff in place with up-and-coming Todd Haley having two studs (Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss) beneath him. Weiss took the Florida job late in the year, and packed it in. After he checked out emotionally, the Chiefs sucked in the final 2 (or 3?) games last year. It carried over to this year too.

Haley loves offense and it hurts him. He needs a great Offensive Coordinatoor that he can't question, or he needs to be demoted to OC himself. Some people are again bringing up Bill Cowher, and I'm with them, I'd love to have him here to coach.

After all that, they still had a chance to be somewhat competitive this year, despite a brutal schedule. 6-10 to 9-7 was the realistically predicted range of finish. Remembering that last year was a fluke and two years ago they were 2-14, this would still be progress. Had the fluke season not happened and then the schedule would have been just a tad easier.

So going into this year, they come in unprepared (Todd Haley didn't really test the players in preseason and treated it as Training Camp basically) and thought they were better than they were. Buffalo comes into Arrowhead week1, and surely it's a slam dunk win to our fans, coaches, and players. Misplaced confidence can shatter a team, and it did us. McCluster fumbles the opening kickoff, Buffalo scores a quick touchdown, and suddenly the very young Chiefs start to question themselves. Then without Moeaki and Baldwin and Breaston not fully acclimated, the offense starts off pretty slow. Next Buffalo possesion, Eric Berry goes down for the year. He was our stud, even though he is still so young (we're rebuilding remember?). The young Chiefs confidence continues to melt down, and then the rest is pretty much history. Buffalo played steady and well and gained confidence throughout while the Chiefs went the opposite direction.

So we travel to Detroit, a lot less confident, but still somewhat hopeful - it's only 1 game. First drive, old-ass-Berry-replacement Jon McGraw intercepts Matthew Stafford and falls to the ground untouched. He rolls, gets on his feet and starts to return the INT, but fumbles. Detroit drives down for a TD. Chiefs get the ball, and the offense comes to life with a Flash. I think it was 3 first downs on about 4 rushing plays totally 40 or 50 yards. On the last play, Jamaal Charles stretches for extra yardage, tears his ACL, and he's gone for the year. Charles is a badass and is our best player as you all should and probably know. Berry, Charles, and to a lesser extent, Moeaki being injured were flat out devastating. Picture Green Bay losing A. Rodgers and C. Matthews, and that's where we're at. This just put the nail in our season's coffin and smashed any confidence that was there. Detroit rolls.

The season is lost, the sky is falling, but there is hope toward the future. With the 3 coming back and the young team still gaining experience, the Chiefs could be a dark-horse in 2012 or a serious threat in 2013, depending on the coaching/QB situation.

I'm not totally done with Matt Cassel, but his ceiling is on par with Matt Schaub's ceiling. He can run a decent offense, but won't lead them to the Super Bowl, and he can't do squat with a mediocre offense. I believe the Chiefs have a truley legitimate shot at Andrew Luck, and I want him. We haven't had a franchise quarterback since Len Dawson, and I don't think you can win a Super Bowl without one in this day of age. Only problem is that we have to beat Seattle. I think that means a 1-15 season.

Suck for Luck.

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

You will win more than 1 game, even with all your injuries you are no where near as bad as the lions were even LAST year with no QB, no WR, no HB, 6th string LBs and cut CBs. They will win atleast 4.

3. Subkontraktor

My 1-15 statement is my prediction on what it will take to get the overall #1 pick, and I'm hoping the Chiefs have a shot at it sadly enough.

Here's the brutal remaining schedule, followed by my chance of them winning.

My numbers are out of 10, so a 5 means a 50-50 shot at winning.

at SD - 0.5
    MIN - 5.2
    at Ind - 4.6
    Bye
    at Oak - 2.2
    SD - 2.4
    MIA - 5
    DEN - 5.2
    at NE - 0.6
    PITT - 2.8
    at Chi - 1.7
    at Jets - 0.8
    GB - 1.7
    OAK - 3.9
    at Den - 3.7

So for the Chiefs to win 4 games, they'd need to beat Minnesota, Miami and Denver all at home, and then pull off an upset win from one of the rest. I could see that happening, so I can't really argue it. But I could also see them losing to all three of the teams mentioned.

4. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

They may lose in the Bye week too...

• Like Like x 2
  5. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Vikes, will surely lose to KC... we'll find a way.

6. Subkontraktor

Vikings have been competitive against two decent teams. Just wait until you guys come down to KC, it should be a fun time for your team.

89 - 10. That's the combined score of the Chiefs first two games.

7. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

And we have been outscored 42-3 in the second half of both games:(

8. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Week 4 baby... McNabb vs Sub. I can't wait for that game:)

9. Subkontraktor

I didn't even think about him coming to town. I'd go to the game, but I have freakin' T-Ball games during the first 6 Sunday's of the NFL season. We were lucky enough to be rained out this past Sunday, but that might just mean a makeup Sunday.

10. hoppedupford

hoppedupford Walk On

The way I see it is that Cassel is awefull. The Pats system made him look way better then he is. A guy that never started A college game is only going to be so good. What I think you need is another receiver to play next to Bowe ( I do think Bowe is overrated ) A serviceble TE and A good pass rusher. Your team is over all pretty good. It's maily your skill positions thats not that good. Bill Cower is not your answer. Had all that talent in PIt for alot of years and never really did nothing. He is one of the most overrated coaches in history. Cower will instantly make your team boring. Chiefs will not have A bad enough record to get Luck. You don't make the playoffs on pure luck, you still have to have A pretty good team. Have another solid draft and maybe make A trade for A QB. I do think there are some back ups out there better than Cassel. Then you will have A solid contending team. I am A 49er fan and I think they are pretty much like the Chiefs. Pretty good team over all but poor skill position players.