Chiefsman's Corner - OMFL.com Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner - OMFL.com Blog

Chiefsman's Corner: OMFL Division Strengths

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

A new year, a new employer, a new job...to keep fans of the OMFL informed and entertained. So with that, my first Corner article will be about the individual divisions of the OMFL. I will rate them by win-loss record of the division as a whole, and on a secondary level by points scored and allowed. Keep in mind this does not include week 15.

1. AFC South

This division is the only one in the OMFL to boast that all of its teams have records above .500. It's a shame that at least one of the teams here will be sitting home when the playoffs start. The Colts are the class of the division, boasting the #2 offense and the #1 defense in the OMFL. With another team in the top 10 offensively (Texans) and a team in the top 10 defensively (Jags), no one in the OMFL likely wants to see a team from this division on their schedule.

2. NFC East

This one was the toughest call for me, but I lean in this direction for the #2 spot. With two dominant teams in the Giants and Cowboys, and a solid #3 in the Eagles, this division has a lot of teeth. The Giants have a top 10 offense and top 12 defense, and the Cowboys are a top 10 defensive unit. The Redskins drag this division down a bit, but they are rebuilding.

3. NFC South

Another tough division involving the South. Maybe it's the cooking...two of the top three toughest divisions reside here. The Falcons have a top 5 offense, the Saints have a top 10 defense. The Panthers play everyone tough, and the Bucs...well, they're the Bucs. They are playing better with their new coach and one of my friends from my old stomping ground in Kansas City, Coach Winuvas. No one wants to see any of these teams on the schedule late this year.

4. AFC East

A very "Jekyll-and-Hyde" division. You have the top two teams (New England and Buffalo) that boast top 10 offenses and defenses. Then you have the bottom two (Miami and New York Jets) both working with less talent. Next year this will be a top-to-bottom quality division with young talent like Miami quarterback Chad Henne and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez improving, though.

5. AFC North

Ah, the traditional "smash-mouth" division is another division that is top heavy. Pittsburgh rules the roost, with a Cincinnati team that is barely above .500 in second place. The Browns and Ravens, though...wow. Combined, the Cleveland and Baltimore have scored 490 points and allowed 867 points. Not so good. Cleveland has had coaching issues, with multiple coaching changes during the season. Baltimore wanted to rebuild, apparently, but their new coach has them playing inspired football right now.

6. NFC North

Another traditional "smash-mouth" division. This one is all Vikings, though; they are pillaging this division with a 12-1 record, the league's best offense, and one of the league's stingier defenses. However, is it a product of quality, or lack of quality around them? The Bears have a top 10 offense with Jay Cutler, but are below .500. The Packers have had coaching changes and are having a tough year adjusting, and the Lions are...the Lions. A year of stability and growth for all the teams in this division makes it one to watch next year.

7. AFC West

San Diego is the only team worth talking about in this division. They have a top 10 offense and defense, but, like the Vikings, is it because they are a contender, or because they play pretenders 6 times a year? The Oakland Raiders are in second place with a top 10 defense, but all these teams have offensive woes right now. The Broncos have undergone a roster overhaul and a coaching change, and the Chiefs...wow. They got a SEVERE roster overhaul, then two coaching changes. Nothing is working now, but it's getting better.

8. NFC West

By a hair, the NFC West gets the #8 spot. Seattle is a good team right now both offensively and defensively. However, like San Diego and Minnesota above, are they that good, or is it a product of playing bad teams in their division? All the other three teams in the West (Rams, 49ers, Cardinals) have undergone coaching changes and personnel moves that are questionable (Larry Fitzgerald, anyone?). However, all three seemed to have stabilized their coaching regimes a bit and look to close out strong.

So there you have it: the divisions as I see them. In my next Corner, I'll talk about the MVP race, and who MY top five are. It may surprise you!

Keep up with all OMFL.com blogs on our sister website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: MVP

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

We're getting closer and closer to the OMFL playoffs and MVP discussion is beginning to heat up throughout the league. Here's my view of who the top 5 are if I had to vote today:

[​IMG]

1. Peyton Manning - QB, Indianapolis Colts

It's hard to argue this one: Peyton leads the OMFL's second best offense with 4273 yards passing at a near 65% completion percentage. He has 44 touchdowns with only 14 picks. His team is one of the best in the league.

[​IMG]

2. Adrian Peterson - HB, Minnesota Vikings

Again, it's hard to argue with this guy. He's been a force on the #1 offense in the entire league. He's the Vikings' leading rusher with 1745 yards on 245 carries and 21 touchdowns. He has 18 carries of twenty or more yards this year, and he's the Vikings' leading receiver with 37 receptions for 497 yards and 5 touchdowns.

[​IMG]

3. Maurice Jones-Drew - HB, Jacksonville Jaguars

I can hear the arguments now...MJD???? Are you KIDDING me? What about Jonathan Stewart? Chad Ochocinco? Hear me out, folks. Here's my two reasons why I feel MJD is a top 5 MVP candidate: 1. His quarterback, David Garrard, is having a bad year (152-249 for 2184 yards with 12 touchdowns and 21 interceptions) and 2. He was out for 3 weeks early with a broken jaw and STILL has monsters numbers. MJD has 208 carries for 1318 yards with 16 touchdowns, and 38 receptions for 510 yards and 3 touchdowns. He has 9 carries of 20+ yards this season. If he was healthy the entire year, he may be #1 on my list.

[​IMG]

4. Jonathan Stewart - HB, New York Giants

What a difference a jersey makes. Stewart (shown above in Carolina) was #2 on the depth chart in Carolina, then gets moved to Tampa Bay, then to New York after Brandon Jacobs was sidelined for the year in week 1. All Stewart did was run 265 times for 1561 yards and 23 touchdowns, with 18 carries of 20+ yards. Not only that, he has 28 receptions for 425 yards and 3 touchdowns. He's the reason the Giants are leading the NFC East right now.

[​IMG]

5. Chad Ochocinco - WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Yeah, this one you probably didn't see coming. But to be fair, with no solid #2 receiver on the team, Chad has 90 receptions for 1565 yards and 14 touchdowns on a team that is challenging for a playoff spot that probably has no business challenging with such depth in the AFC. That makes him valuable; hence the MVP talk.

So that's my top 5 in the MVP voting if I voted today. Honorable mentions go to Chris Johnson of the Titans and Devery Henderson of the Saints. Next time at the corner, we'll discuss rookie of the year voting. This one ought to be real good.

Keep up with all the OMFL.com blogs on our sister website:

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: Rookie of the Year

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

A new Corner to write, a new controversy to start up. This go around, I am going to write up my top 5 for Rookie of the Year. I have combed through the stats, and here is what I have in my top 5:

[​IMG]

1. Matthew Stafford - QB, Detroit Lions

The #1 overall pick out of Georgia is proving why Detroit saw him as the quarterback of the future. While making his fair share of rookie mistakes, he has performed well most of the year, throwing for 3453 yards at a 58% completion percentage. He has 26 touchdowns and 25 interceptions on the year while getting hassled by defenses, getting sacked 39 times. The kid is proving his toughness in a tough town.

[​IMG]

2. Knowshon Moreno - HB, Denver Broncos

What is it about Georgia rookies this year? The #12 pick overall has performed well in his opening year in Denver, running 246 times for 1001 yards with 8 carries over 20 yards. He has also played well in Denver's passing game, catching 38 times out of the backfield for 269 yards. The only knock on him is finding the end zone - he has only 2 rushing touchdowns and one receiving touchdown. If he begins to find the end zone more often, look out, AFC West.

[​IMG]

3. James Laurinaitis - MLB, St. Louis Rams

A son of a former professional wrestler, Laurinaitis is proving his toughness on the field coming out of Ohio State. He has 53 tackles on the season, with 5 tackles for loss. He is also stout in pass defense as well, getting 5 pass deflections, one interception, and even has 3 fumble recoveries. He is constantly around the football and a force on an improving St. Louis defense.

[​IMG]

4. Louis Delmas - FS, Detroit Lions

The only reason this guy isn't higher on my list is because of Matthew Stafford at #1, which may not be fair. He probably deserves to be #3 at least, but I have him here. Delmas, out of Western Michigan, is proving that the MAC isn't a bad conference to draft from. He has a natural nose for the football, with 57 tackles, 3 pass deflections, 4 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

[​IMG]

5. Donald Brown - HB, Indianapolis Colts

There are lots of guys I am not putting in, and it's REALLY tough, but this guy has to be in the top 5. The kid from Connecticut is proving his worth at the next level, getting to number one on the depth chart after starting HB Joseph Addai was traded to the Rams early in the season. He's proven Coach Mustang's faith in him, however, with 191 carries for 827 yards and 4 rushing touchdowns, with 5 carries this year over 20 yards. He is a force in the passing attack as well, getting 31 receptions for 425 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving.

These are my top 5 for the rookie of the year voting. Honorable mentions are San Francisco wide receiver Michael Crabtree, Houston defensive end Connor Barwin, and Jacksonville strong safety Patrick Chung. In my next Corner, I'll go over my top 5 defensive player of the year candidates.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

great write ups

5. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I may be partial for my boy here, but I like Moreno. His stats are getting better as the season has gone on.

Great job Winuvas!

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, I get bored writing only one or two articles a week. And even though I enjoy the podcasts, it is really time consuming. Writing articles isn't. And I felt bad dumping this persona after leaving the Chiefs, so it felt nice giving him a new job. Glad you are enjoying it.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: Defensive Player of the Year

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

There are a lot of good defensive players in the OMFL today. To be fair, there are a lot of good players throughout the league. Since this Corner is about my top 5 for defense, here's my list:

[​IMG]

1. Jerod Mayo - MLB, New England Patriots

All the guys on my radar were worth the #1 spot, but this guy has been special in Coach Gaddy's defensive schemes. He has 65 tackles, with 7 of those for loss. He only has one sack; however, he leads the OMFL with 13 interceptions, and even returned one for a touchdown. I'll repeat that last stat: a linebacker leads the league in interceptions. With a forced fumble and recovery and 9 passes deflected, this linebacker will be special for years to come. This just isn't fair for the Patriots to be this talented, is it?

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Willis - MLB, San Francisco 49ers

If not for Mayo's great stats, this guy would be #1 here. He leads the league in tackles with 88, 17 of those for loss. He has 3 sacks and 2 interceptions, with an interception return for a touchdown. Willis also has a forced fumble and a fumble recovery as well as 9 pass deflections. This guy is a monster from sideline to sideline.

[​IMG]

3. Paul Posluszny - MLB, Buffalo Bills

WHAT???? Yup, you read right - Posluszny, while hard to say, write, or type, is definitely easy on the eyes if you are a defensive coordinator with him in your scheme. The Poz has 54 tackles, with 15 of those tackles for loss. Posluszny has 6 sacks and 6 interceptions, as well as 8 pass deflections, 2 fumble recoveries, and a safety on his resume. This guy is a key reason why Buffalo is still challenging for the AFC East with the mighty Patriots.

[​IMG]

4. DeMarcus Ware - ROLB, Dallas Cowboys

Now we're getting to the sackmasters of the list. Ware has been a beast coming off the outside for the Cowboys, getting 13 sacks to go with 49 tackles, 23 of those for loss. While not utilized as much on passing downs to play zone, he has shown he is capable, getting 2 interceptions and a pass deflection to his credit. Not to mention Ware's ability to rip balls from defenders, getting 2 forced fumbles and recovering both of them. His constant rush capabilities force teams to attempt to double him, and he STILL gets the quarterback. That's a player of the year in my book.

[​IMG]

5. Lamarr Woodley - LOLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Woodley has been another sack beast in the OMFL for the AFC. Woodley has 40 tackles, with 21 tackles for loss. He has 13 sacks to lead the AFC. He has 2 interceptions and 2 pass deflections to show his skills in the pass coverage game. He's even returned one of his 2 interceptions for a score! Not to be done with scoring, he's got a safety on record this season as well to go with 2 forced fumbles. Whatever his Steelers need, he is providing on the defensive side of the ball right now.

This top 5 was the toughest yet, with some very good players left out. Honorable mentions go to the OMFL sack leader, Julius Peppers of the Panthers, and Nick Barnett of the Packers. In my next Corner, I'll go over my top 5 for offensive player of the year.

Keep up with OMFL.com blogs on our sister website:

8. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Oh so sweet

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Great articles Win. . .

If we want the most valuable player to go to the person most valuable to their team, then REALLY it should be MJD at the #1 spot.

1) The Jags passing game is HORRID!!! 13 tds and 21 picks now. . .not a lot of yards. Everybody knows MJD is getting the ball and he is STILL having a monster season. All of the other candidates have a great supporting cast, MJD doesn't.
    2) He was injured and out for 3 weeks. Tack on another 20% to his season totals and he'd be right there statistically with Peterson and Stewart.
    3) Colts can win without Manning with Mustang usering the QB, Vikes can win without Peterson as they have a Hall of Fame QB and studs at WR, Giants can with without Stewart with Manning at QB and stars all around that offense. . .however the Jags most definately would NOT be winning nor in the playoffs without MJD.

Really, if this award is given to the most valuable player to their team, when it is HANDS DOWN MJD.

I'm not homering this one. You give me a solid QB and some average WR's, and then I won't say this next year. . .but I have NOBODY but him on offense. I mean nobody.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Thanks for the kind words about the articles folks. At least I got something going on in the OMFL - official reporter and owner of the worst offensive schemes in OMFL history.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: OMFL Playoff Teams Analysis

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

Okay, in my last Corner I know I said that here I would talk about the offensive players of the year, in my eyes. Well, I changed my mind. I decided, with most playoff spots now locked up, to talk about each team in the playoffs and what their strengths and weaknesses are. The beauty of writing blogs for the OMFL is the flexibility in changing my schedule as I see fit.

Indianapolis Colts

The #1 team in the OMFL right now. With all due respect to teams like Minnesota and the Giants in the NFC, this team is firing on all cylinders. With Peyton Manning orchestrating an offense that can light defenses up, a playmaker (who would have thought it?) in Ted Ginn, Jr., a running game anchored by Donald Brown, and a defense that is top 5, this team can beat you any way they want. Their run defense is a bit suspect, but teams are always playing from behind with the Colts, so how can you exploit that?

New York Giants

A great team coming out of New York led by another Manning, Eli. But this team is all about the running game, and with MVP candidate Jonathan Stewart running roughshod over almost any defense he's seen, the Giants have won lots of games. Their problem, though, comes when they get behind or force Eli to pass more: their passing attack is a bit average with no real receiving threats. Their defense is solid, but not spectacular. Their front seven make the defense great, but the secondary is a weak spot.

Seattle Seahawks

A team that nobody talks about because they are on the West Coast and everyone that matters is asleep when they play. But Coach Moogle has Seattle playing like they did when they went to the Super Bowl, rejuvenating veterans like Edgerrin James and Matt Hasselbeck while leaning on a defense anchored by middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu. A solid team from both sides of the ball, yet not quite as talented as the Colts, but could give Indy a run if they met in the OMFL Bowl.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Stop Maurice Jones-Drew, you stop their offense. Easier said than done. MJD is an MVP candidate and he was out for three weeks with injury. Quarterback David Garrard couldn't hit water if he was standing on a beach. There are no real receiving threats other than MJD. The Jags rely heavily on a stout defensive scheme led by defensive tackle John Henderson, defensive end Luis Castillo, and free safety Eric Weddle.

New England Patriots

This team is almost unfair, but it was brought down to Earth a few weeks ago with the loss of Tom Brady for the remainder of the season with a bad elbow. They still have Wes Welker and Randy Moss, however, and a defense led by interception machine Jerod Mayo at linebacker. Coach Gaddy will have his guys ready to play no matter who he has to start.

Dallas Cowboys

Has anyone told Dallas that they are supposed to be bad in December? Coach Cadepetty hasn't heard that, and hasn't let Tony Romo and his 'Boys hear it either. Their defense is constant pressure, with sackmaster DeMarcus Ware causing havoc at all times. Their offense has Felix Jones and Tashard Choice and a host of receivers, with Miles Austin and Roy Williams leading the way. Not to mention some tight end named Jason Witten. Did I say the Patriots had an unfair team? I changed my mind. This team is dangerous with the talent level it puts on the field every Sunday.

Buffalo Bills

A team that has two stud wide recievers and knows how to use them. Lee Evans and Terrell Owens make this offense go, go, go. This team doesn't have the talent of the others, but a good coach and a great offensive scheme has this team fighting for the AFC East title and a first round bye. Don't sleep on this team in the playoffs, cause if you do you might find yourself down 14 points and having to play shootout with a shootout team. Not good odds, if I may say so.

San Diego Chargers

A solid defense and offense out on the West Coast led by Philip Rivers and a rejuvenated Ladanian Tomlinson. The biggest question is will the Chargers step up against adequate competition? No offense to the AFC West, but they are one of the weakest, if not the weakest, division in the OMFL. With that division, have the Chargers been battle-tested enough to win tough playoff games?

Minnesota Vikings

This team suffers a bit for the San Diego Chargers disease. While they have a great offense and defense, with Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson playing lights out, they too play in a weaker division in the NFC North. The Bears are a decent fight, but the Vikings haven't been challenged a lot this year, and some games (Panthers come to mind) they just didn't show up. Maybe Favre and the Purple People Eaters will be consistent during the playoffs. I wouldn't count Coach Jeremy out.

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons are dangerous because you never know which team will show up. Will it be the team that won 6 straight games and ran Michael Turner over all opponents while Matt Ryan destroyed secondaries? Or will it be the team that lost three straight, including one to the offensively challenged Bucs? If the winning Falcons show up, they can blow anybody out in the OMFL. If the losing Falcons show up...the Falcons will be enjoying watching the playoffs on television.

Philadelphia Eagles

Reggie Bush has enjoyed a change in jersey to Philly green after being average in New Orleans. The two headed quarterback monster of Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb has been lukewarm. Their offense has had its moments, as has their defense. But they are a wild card team for a reason - they aren't consistent enough yet. Quality team, but if they don't play consistent defense, they won't last.

Pittsburgh Steelers

The defending champs. No one seems to notice them in the AFC. We don't talk about them at all. Maybe that's the way they want it. No respect. Coach zf10 has one of the most aggressive defenses at his disposal, and with linebackers like Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison, they terrorize offensive lines. The offense is quality with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger but not spectacular. AFC teams look out: don't sleep on the Steelers, or else you'll watch them playing in the OMFL Bowl.

Personally, I like the Indianapolis Colts out of the AFC and the Seattle Seahawks out of the NFC. Keep in mind, though, that with playoff seeding still up in the air, it'll all be up to matchups. But just looking at these teams and having watched most of them now at some point during this season, I like those two to come out on top to face off for the OMFL Championship Trophy.

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

Nice Win. . .I hope you do an in depth breakdown of the playoff matchups once they are set!!!

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I can once they are locked in next week. I plan on it actually. I'll be giving a few teams some bulletin board material. Most of the playoff teams I have played at least once and gotten beaten by all of them in some form or fashion.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: Top 10 Players in Draft

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

The season is almost over for over 2/3 of the teams in the OMFL. Those teams have lots of decisions to make about personnel and coaching staffs. Another choice these teams have to make is how to draft. Well, after analyzing the draft stats, looking at 40 yard dash times, and reading the press clippings, here's my top 10 players coming out in this year's draft:

1. James English - QB, Stanford (6'3", 229)

This guy is a freak of nature. He has a cannon for an arm. He has above average speed. If not for a freak play in his yearly rivalry game against California (something about the band being on the field...), he would have played for a national title. However, his stats are impressive: 374 completions on 501 attempts, 3486 yards, and 42 touchdowns on only 6 interceptions. In a pinch, he can run, too: he had 74 rushes for 413 yards and was only sacked 12 times.

2. Kelly James - QB, Miami (6'3", 225)

A guy who, with the help of another guy on this list, won the national title this year in a shootout with Alabama. With limited wide reciever help and a lackluster running game, this guy was the sole offense this team had. Running a no-huddle, up tempo offense, he completed 425 passes on 601 (yikes!) attempts for 4413 yards and 47 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. The only knock on this guy is he's not as mobile as English: he was sacked 32 times and had a negative rushing yard total (-46 yards). That could be a product of his offensive line, but looking at the tape, he seems only average in speed.

3. Torian Watts - LOLB, Alabama (6'0", 218)

Watts led his Alabama team to the national title game on college's number one defense. He was the reason why, with 103 tackles, 27 of those for loss. He also was a force in the pass rush, getting 13 1/2 sacks while constantly being chipped by running backs. However, his durability due to his small size at 218 pounds is suspect: he had trouble staying on the field during his sophomore and junior years with knee and shoulder injuries.

4. Mark Jackson - MLB, New Mexico (6'0", 238)

A beast in the WAC conference, Jackson turned a lot of heads his junior year before declaring for the draft. Starting as a true freshman, he led the WAC in tackles his 3 years there. In his junior year, he had 121 tackles, with 21 for loss. He also had 9 sacks in a limited blitzing role in their zone cover 2 scheme at New Mexico. He was really effective in that role as far as pass defense is concerned, getting 6 interceptions and 16 pass deflections to his credit. The only question is this: can Jackson take his dominance in a lower tier conference to the next level?

5. Laron James - HB, Northern Arizona (5'10", 222)

James was a beast at FCS school Northern Arizona, winning their national title based on his punishing running capabilities. He carried the ball 242 times for 2078 yards and 24 touchdowns on the ground, combining a rare blend of speed and power. He's been timed in the 40 yard dash at 4.24, and is commonly seen working in the gym on his power. The only knock on him at the next level is his competition at the old 1-AA level. Can he bring it to the OMFL like he did at Northern Arizona?

6. Patrick Boma - RG, NW Oklahoma State (6'3", 319)

Boma is a man-child on the offensive line. He recorded 74 pancake tackles during his 4 year career at NW Oklahoma State, while only allowing 1 sack during that career. He's been seen regularly working out in the gym, benching well above twice his weight at 20-25 reps. This guy's a beast, but like #4 and #5 on this list, suffers a knock for playing at a lower tier university. Can he dominate like he did in college?

7. Josh Snead - ROLB, Ole Miss (6'0", 240)

Snead has all the physical tools you look for in an outside linebacker - size, speed, pass rush capabilities, and instincts. What he doesn't have from this past year is stats: he had only 7 tackles and a sack before a right knee injury ended his senior season. We have only his junior year to look at as he's been injury prone most of his time at Mississippi: 135 tackles, 27 for loss, with 14 1/2 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 9 pass deflections. If he can stay healthy, he will be a dominant force in the OMFL.

8. Adam Saint - TE, Colorado State (6'2", 231)

The young tight end out of Colorado State was a receiving beast, catching 102 passes for 1572 yards and 14 touchdowns. He declared early due to his great year, but probably could have done better staying another year honing his skills in the running game and blocking schemes. A small school schedule also rates him lower on this list, but nobody can argue with his talent.

9. Alain Jackson - DT, Miami (6'6", 312)

The "Beast of the East", as he was known at Miami, won a national championship while anchoring the defensive line of the #3 defense in the country. His defense came to play, with him getting 74 tackles, 18 for loss, and 5 sacks. The only knock on the "Beast", however, is on his overall stamina. He's never been much of a workout warrior, and his endurance is lacking. He usually came out on third downs as he's not much of a pass rushing threat. But as far as run defense is concerned, he is a monster in the middle.

10. Dane Morrow - QB, Penn State (6'4", 218)

Morrow is the third of the "Super Three" quarterbacks in this year's draft. While not as flashy as English or as impressive with statistics as James, he is definitely a star in the making: at an institute known for running backs, Penn State, he completed 301 passes on 407 attempts for 3198 yards, with 29 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. Even his coach, Joe Paterno, said, "This kid has a chance to own every record in the book at the next level."

There you have it, folks. The top 10 players coming out in the draft. Will they be studs, or duds? Who knows?

Keep up with OMFL.com blogs on our sister website:

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: AFC Wild Card Matchups

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

Well, apparently I have become pretty popular here at OMFL.com. I have had tons of requests for playoff analysis. Well, with the AFC playoff picture set, I can finally start doing some leg work. Here are the wild card matchups:

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. New England Patriots

A case here of the immovable force meets the unstoppable object. New England has lit up defenses all year long with their vaunted 4 WR passing sets. Guys like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Joey Galloway...how the heck could you go wrong with that? Moss has 63 catches for 1213 yards and 14 touchdowns, Welker has 55 catches for 774 yards and 5 touchdowns, and Galloway has 51 catches for 711 yards and 4 touchdowns. Fred Taylor is proving he still has gas in the tank, running for 986 yards and 4 touchdowns.

So what's the catch? No Tom Brady. The former MVP candidate is now on the sidelines coaching up his replacement, free agent signee Andrew Walter. From pizza maker to Patriot leader, Walter has subbed in nicely (considering), completing near 60% of his passes while getting 902 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions. He's no Tom Brady though.

The unstoppable object here is Jacksonville's defense. Throughout the year the defensive schemes of Coach Dunlap has led them to victories where they probably had no business winning. They have allowed a total of 326 points this season on a total team defensive concept; stop the run with stout defensive tackles like John Henderson, and play stout zone pass defense with safeties like Eric Weddle patrolling. It has gotten them to a wild card playoff.

However....the offense for Jacksonville is sorely lacking. Maurice Jones-Drew literally has to play the entire game for this team to do anything offensively. He is their leading rusher, with 1358 yards and 17 touchdowns. He's their leading receiver, with 42 catches for 533 yards and 3 receiving touchdowns. Their next receiver has 29 catches. And, last I checked, New England's defense isn't too shabby either: they have allowed only 322 points this season and have a possible defensive player of the year candidate in middle linebacker Jerod Mayo, with 71 tackles and 13 interceptions. And David Garrard is no Tom Brady. Hell, he may not even be an Andrew Walter.

At this point, it's a stalemate with New England's offense versus Jacksonville's defense. Where I think this game is won is with New England's defense. I think that Mayo, Coach Gaddy, and the Pats will confuse Garrard, force some mistakes, and while they may not contain MJD in the running game, they will contain him in the passing game, which means Jacksonville won't be passing the ball.

Chiefsman's Choice: Jags 17, Patriots 31

Buffalo Bills vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

Now THIS is what December football in the OMFL is all about: Pittsburgh. Outdoors. Cold. Possible snow. Seeing your breath hit the air as the flurries fall. Picture it...

Okay, back to reality. A matchup of a high powered offense in Buffalo versus an "under the radar" team in Pittsburgh (hard to believe, them being the defending champs, right?). With Bills quarterback Trent Edwards hurt most of the year with a broken collarbone, the Bills signed veteran Jeff Garcia to keep the ship on a course while Edwards was on the mend. Now with Edwards healthy, he is the starter on a team with two legitimate big play receivers: Lee Evans and Terrell Owens. Evans has 80 catches for 1486 yards and 12 touchdowns, while Owens has 69 catches for 1289 yards and 8 touchdowns. The running game is merely adequate here, a changeup for the fastball that is their high octane passing game. Running back Marshawn Lynch is the main guy here, with 709 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Buffalo's defense, however, unlike its offense, has been average this season, allowing 342 points this season. They do get pressure with blitz packages, and they have a stud middle linebacker in Paul Posluszny. They will get their fair share of pressure on Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh does have a pretty decent defense of their own. Heck, it's one of the best, allowing 304 points this season. They pressure constantly with their 3-4 attacking scheme. You have to account for James Harrison (15 sacks) and Lamar Woodley (17 sacks) every play. Who do you double team, or chip? You can't chip both of them, and if you do, you won't be getting many passes downfield. Buffalo will have to strike quick and hard to break this defense.

Pittsburgh's offense has relied on Big Ben to carry the load, and he's done an adequate, if unspectacular, job, with 3238 yards, 26 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions. His running attack consists of a two-headed monster in speedy Willie Parker (816 yards, 8 TD) and bruiser Rashard Mendenhall (442 yards, 6 TD). When Ben goes to the pass, he looks for wide receiver Santonio Holmes, and Holmes has proven to be a big play guy, snagging 79 balls for 1207 yards and 10 touchdowns.

They say in football, especially during the playoffs, "Offense sells tickets, but defenses win championships." I think truer words were never spoken. This game will be a sellout in Pittsburgh to see the Bills high octane offense, but I think most of those fans may come away disappointed...cause they will be Steelers fans.

Chiefsman's Choice: Bills 34, Steelers 24

In my next Corner (once they get locked up), I'll do a wild card weekend breakdown of the NFC side of the playoffs.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Win.....you are 0-1 with your picks so far :)...haha.

You better do NFC picks...and get ready to do your breakdown of jags-colts in round 2.

I'll be waiting to to read!

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: NFC Wild Card Weekend

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

As promised in my last Corner, I will now be analyzing the NFC side of the wild card weekend for the OMFL playoffs. So, without a lot of fanfare, here we go:

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Seattle Seahawks

Okay, the secret is out: Seattle is really good this year. Playing on the West Coast, when all the mass media markets are asleep instead of watching football, Seattle has quietly taken a step towards winning the OMFL Bowl with veteran leadership and quality on offense. Who knew Edgerrin James still had yards left in those legs (1043 yards on 239 attempts and 12 touchdowns on the ground)? Who knew Matt Hasselbeck's back could last another year (3427 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions)? Who saw Brandon Marshall getting traded to the Seahawks (67 receptions for 1164 yards and 9 touchdowns)? Anybody? Me either...

The Seahawks bring a steady, balanced attack to the playoffs on offense, while on defense they play a team-first concept similar to another team in these playoffs: Jacksonville. With solid play up the middle from defensive tackle Colin Cole (22 tackles, 4 sacks) and middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu (64 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 interceptions), and three top flight cornerbacks in Rashean Mathis, Marcus Trufant, and Ken Lucas, this team can shut down both the passing and rushing games of any team out there. And they have, allowing only 296 points during the regular season.

But there are two teams taking the field, and, while not flashy, the Philadelphia Eagles have been steady, taking an 11-5 record into the playoffs. They don't have the offensive punch of a team like the Dallas Cowboys, nor do they have the defensive lockdown capabilities of a team like the Indianapolis Colts. What they do have is a veteran quarterback in Donovan McNabb (2667 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 26 interceptions), a dynamic playmaker at running back in Reggie Bush (1230 yards on 179 attempts with 14 touchdowns rushing, 41 receptions for 384 yards and 7 touchdowns receiving), a nice stable of receivers in DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, and an animal at tight end in Jeremy Shockey (74 receptions, 1445 yards, and 7 touchdowns). This team, on paper, can light teams up and down the field.

On defense, they have 3 lockdown corners as well, with Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown, and Ellis Hobbs. Their front seven is solid but not spectacular. With some creative schemes, the Eagles have kept themselves in games and won a bunch of them. However, their division (the NFC East) was one of, if not the toughest division in the OMFL. They went 3-3 in those games, with 2 wins coming against Washington, who was not elite this year.

Yes, on paper the Eagles are a good matchup. On the field...I don't think it will be. Coach Moogle reminds me a bit of another coach from the past: anyone remember Mike Holmgren? He used to be in Seattle when people respected the Seahawks. I think the second coming is here. I am a believer in the Seahawks. I think they will be pushing the tempo and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides with a rock-solid defense and offense.

Chiefsman's Choice: Philadelphia 20 Seattle 34

Dallas Cowboys vs. Atlanta Falcons

A game that truly matches up two good teams that are even on paper. This is a great 4-5 matchup, in my opinion. In the Cowboys, you have a lot of flash and talent on offense. Their leader is no doubt quarterback Tony Romo, with 3675 yards, 33 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions. The three headed rushing attack works well for them, with Marion "the Barbarian" Barber getting 910 yards and 8 touchdowns, Felix Jones getting 766 yards and 8 touchdowns, and Tashard Choice picking up the scraps with 356 yards and 2 touchdowns. All three have fresh legs this time of year, and that kind of depth is nothing but useful this time of year. Miles Austin and Jason Witten have been the favorite targets for Romo's passes, with the two combining for over 1500 yards receiving, over 100 receptions, and 11 touchdowns. This team can score anytime they get out there.

Their defense, while playing better late, is still working itself out. You still have a stud in DeMarcus Ware, with 55 tackles and 14 sacks. However, number 2 on the sack list has 6 in Jason Ratliff. That's a drop off. Basically, if the Falcons' blocking plans can include protection to Ware's side, neutralizing his effectiveness, the Cowboys can be had with a suspect secondary after Terence Newman.

And the passing attack suits the Atlanta Falcons just fine, with Matt Ryan topping the 4000 yard mark (okay, he equaled it, right at 4000) with 33 touchdowns and 28 interceptions. His favorite targets were Roddy White, with 90 receptions, 1701 yards, and 11 touchdowns, and Tony Gonzalez, with 72 receptions, 806 yards, and 6 touchdowns. Having a future Hall of Fame tight end in Gonzalez is a nice security blanket for the second year QB out of Boston College. Hold on, though, cause Atlanta has a dynamic bruising back in Michael Turner, who gained 1199 yards on 221 carries and scored 13 touchdowns. This team can do both run and pass equally well.

On defense, the Falcons rely on John Abraham to get pressure on quarterbacks and disrupt timing of routes in the passing game, and, while he had a solid year, it's a down year by his standards, with 32 tackles and 10 sacks. The secondary here is a bit weak as well, headed by cornerback Brian Williams. No one here stands out, however, and that is music to Coach Cade and the 'Boys.

My suggestion to the Cowboys is this: Call up Tampa Bay. Don't laugh. Seriously. In Week 12, only a few days after a coaching change, Coach Winuvas stifled the Falcons attack, holding the Falcons to 3 points through 3 quarters. Coach Winuvas then made it a game by calling off the dogs, so to speak (which was a bad move, in my humble opinion). In Week 17, Coach Winuvas again brought a defensive intensity to the game, and if not for two freak plays happening while his defense was NOT on the field, the game would have been a lot longer than the final 20-17 score. The key to both games: stifle Michael Turner. In the week 12 matchup, Turner had 21 yards on 6 attempts. In the week 17 game, Turner had 48 yards on 9 attempts.

If Coach Cade can swallow his pride and talk to a losing coach like Coach Winuvas and get some help on a defensive gameplan, this game may be a lot longer than expected. If Coach Cade doesn't/can't get some help defensively, it will be a close game.

Chiefsman's Choice: Dallas 28 Atlanta 35

With the Wild Cards out of the way next week, I'll go over the divisional matchups and analyze those. Until next week, I'm out.

18. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

good write up Win. Are you sure you didnt get your scores reversed I think you are the first person to pick 'dem Dirty Birds lol.

19. Big D

Big D Walk On

Time for a breakdown of the divisional matchups!

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: Divisional Analysis

Well, the wild card games are done and finished up. And what a wild weekend it was for some teams. Now the big boys come to play, with the number one and two seeds now showing up to play. Here's how I see it, starting with the AFC:

Buffalo Bills vs. Indianapolis Colts

Two high powered offenses show up in Indianapolis this weekend. Buffalo comes into Indianapolis riding high after a 31-14 win versus Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. The score, however, is a bit of a misleading stat in and of itself, as Buffalo mustered only 280 yards of total offense in the game. Lee Evans and Terrell Owens, Buffalo's two big guns, were held in check as far as the end zone was concerned, but still got 12 catches between the two of them. The biggest reason for the victory was time of possession for Buffalo, as they had the ball for over twenty minutes (out of 32 minutes) of the game. Fred Jackson was the big man of the game for Buffalo, getting 9 carries for 62 yards, including a 34 yard touchdown romp.

Now, after getting past Pittsburgh, the Bills' reward is going to Indianapolis and playing indoors. Good news for Buffalo: they get to be warm and toasty in a dome. Bad news: they have to play the best team in the OMFL, with a top 5 offense and defense lining up across from them. The only saving grace might be that Buffalo is ready to go, while the Colts' high flying offense has been resting for a week. The Colts' timing might be a bit off early. However, with MVP candidate Peyton Manning at quarterback for Indy, I don't see that rust lasting long. This game will be a shootout, I think, but I have a feeling that Indy will make one or two more plays than Buffalo.

Chiefsman's Choice: Buffalo 35 Indianapolis 49

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. San Diego Chargers

Okay, let's be honest here, folks: who saw Jacksonville beating the mighty Patriots? I didn't. I'm man enough to admit it. I thought New England's strong team would be too much for the MJD dependent Jags. Now Jacksonville takes their hot streak on the road again, this time to sunny San Diego to play the AFC West champions. The Bolts have lots going for them: great passing with Philip Rivers at the helm, great running with Ladanian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles, a future Hall of Fame tight end in Antonio Gates...but what about their defense? There aren't a lot of names there, but they play quality defense with a team concept.

However, can they stop the little train that could in Maurice Jones-Drew? So far, not many teams have been able to. A thrilling last minute victory against New England is always good for a team's morale, but may not be as good for their emotional state the following week. And it's never a good idea to use up all your emotions in the playoffs in one game. With that said....

Jacksonville 24 San Diego 17

Hey, look, I said MJD was my personal #1 MVP pick. He proves it here by carrying the team to the conference championship. I'm on the Jags bandwagon.

Now to the NFC side of the ball:

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings

Another shocker, or stunner, or whatever you want to use as a surprise, the Eagles are it. Who picked the Eagles to beat the NFC lovechild Seattle Seahawks? Almost everyone was on Seattle's bandwagon, including this OMFL blogger. An overtime thriller is the most emotionally draining experience you can have in the playoffs. Sudden death, win or go home. That is huge.

Minnesota comes in with a 14-2 record, yet everyone doubts their ability to win the OMFL Bowl. Why? Minnesota has dominated all year with the 9th Wonder of the World, Brett Favre (he's timeless), Adrian Peterson, and a high flying offense. Can they continue their nearly flawless season against a team that apparently has beaten destiny by eliminating the Seahawks?

In a word, yes. I know I picked against them last week, but Minnesota has more talent than Seattle did, and, while impressive, the Eagles season ends in the Metrodome.

Chiefsman's Choice: Philadelphia 17 Minnesota 31

Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants

Don't you just LOVE games that involve teams that love to just punish each other? Rivalry games in the OMFL are always wonderful; in the playoffs when rivals meet, they tend to be legendary. This game has that possibility to be one of those games you tell your grandchildren about.

Dallas comes in with a quarterback in Tony Romo that can carry the offense, and with weapons all over the field, the Dallas offense is a scary sight to spot on the field. But the New York Giants have one weapon that can neutralize all of that offense with a simple strategy. Giants running back Jonathan Stewart running the ball can keep that Dallas team off the field, and wear out an attacking defense by forcing them to defend instead of blitz, which works in the Giants' favor.

However, Dallas has a weapon on the defensive side in linebacker DeMarcus Ware. If Ware and the 'Boys can get the Giants' running game stalled (a remarkable feat most weeks), the power shifts to Dallas, as Eli Manning has had a down year, by Manning standards.

I see Dallas getting limited possessions, but making them count with touchdowns. New York's defense will hold firm for a while, but will falter late, forcing the Giants to pass the ball, where their downfall will be found.

Chiefsman's Choice: Dallas 35 New York 21

The divisional matchups in a nutshell. Next Corner we'll discuss the conference championships.

21. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Great stuff Win, except the D player of the year (thats joey porters pic lol), when will these votes be casted? We should sticky like 3 threads for MVP, DPOY, ROY.

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

DOH I never caught that. Boy do I feel dumb. lol I have no idea about how we're doing the voting. I think we'll probably do a poll of some kind.

23. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: OMFL Bowl and Offseason

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

Sorry about the lack of Corners lately. I've been busy flying around and watching different games and what not. Also been keeping my eyes on a new league starting out that is supposedly playing side by side with the OMFL....hmmmm...anyway...enough about me. Let's talk about this game. The last game of the season.

Who had Vikings/Colts in their brackets? Congratulations. You may be one of the few. The AFC has always been the Colts' conference to lose, and they didn't. They fought tough in the AFC Championship before finally putting away the pesky San Diego Chargers. Their road to the OMFL Bowl has not been particularly rocky, but with a solid, future Hall of Fame quarterback in Peyton Manning and a speedy, top flight wide receiver in Ted Ginn, Jr. (who would have thought we would say that??), and a solid, if unspectacular, running game led by rookie Donald Brown, this team can score with the best of them.

On defense, they emphasize speed, speed, and more speed. With players like Dwight Freeney and newcomer Vontae Davis (another Dolphins trade success story) running around causing havoc, the Colts not only have a potent offense, but a powerful top 5 defense they bring to the big game.

But this isn't just about one team...there is another....

The Vikings were written off. Castoffs. Many people jumped on the Seattle Seahawks bandwagon, including myself. "Seattle is going to the OMFL Bowl!" I said, or something like that. I am man enough to admit a mistake. And I definitely didn't think much of Minnesota. I don't know if it was the NFC North clouding my judgement, or what, but I didn't think the Vikings would represent the NFC in the OMFL Bowl. What I didn't take into consideration (and should have) was two people on that offense: Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre.

Brett Favre is going to retire after this year. I would be willing to bet his house on it. And Adrian Peterson is a future Hall of Famer at the pace he set this year, breaking the single season rushing record held by Eric Dickerson for so long with 2158 yards rushing. That offense is loaded with weapons all over the field and is probably one of the few teams in the OMFL that can keep up with the Colts' scoring ability.

My only complaint about Minnesota is their defense. While good enough to get the ball back for their offense a bit, they haven't played top flight defense like what we've seen of the "Purple People Eaters" of days of yore. While a top 12 defense may be enough to win most days, I just have a hunch it won't be enough to win this year...

Chiefsman's Choice: Minnesota 27 Indianapolis 42

So now with the pick out of the way, let's talk some offseason stuff. All but two teams are now chomping at the bit to get started with official trades, studying draft choices, and analyzing progress from the previous year. Here's some "awards", if you will, for next year:

Most Improved Team: Tough choice here, but I am going to lean on a team in the AFC for this one - Baltimore. I think Coach Weblink has his guys thinking the right way, and a stout defense is never a bad thing to hang your hat on. A few offensive players in the draft may be the difference, and he does have the #1 pick in the draft!

Most Disappointing Team: Another interesting choice here, but I will go with the San Diego Chargers. I think there is much more talent now in that division, and the Chargers will not be as dominant as they were this year. I see some upside on the Raiders and Chiefs as far as talent and coaching. Don't laugh. I'm serious.

Rookie of the Year: Jack English, QB, Stanford. This is a no-brainer folks. Even with terrible talent around him, this guy will get 4-5 victories by himself.

Most Valuable Player: Maurice Jones-Drew, but here's the catch: I don't think he'll be with Jacksonville. WHAT????, you might say. Call me crazy, but I think he'll be in a different uniform, and in that uniform he'll play a full schedule of 16 games and show people that he's the real deal.

Defensive Player of the Year: Jerod Mayo, Patriots MLB. This guy is a beast, he's young, and he'll probably win it this year as well. If he stays healthy and in Coach Gaddy's defensive scheme, he'll blossom into a Ray Lewis-type of player.

Offensive Player of the Year: Peyton Manning, Colts QB. Yeah, I know, picking the easy ones, right? This guy will own, but will lose out the MVP voting to MJD. So he gets this as a consolation prize.

Coach of the Year: I would say Coach joseph of the Raiders. He did win the Toilet Bowl honorary playoffs coming in late in the year. If he sticks with Oakland, look for JaMarcus Russell and that offense to be a beast to bring down in the AFC West. This pick is part of the reason I think San Diego is in for a tougher year.

Coach Most Likely to Quit/Give Good Quotes: Coach Winuvas, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Coach, I love ya, but you were very close to having a Dennis Green/Herm Edwards type of conference. You know, the "They are who we THOUGHT they were!!!!!" type of conference. If things don't turn around relatively quickly in Tampa, he may be on the hot seat.

Okay, there you have it: some offseason nuggets to tide over all you OMFL fans until the draft. Enjoy the OMFL Bowl and kudos to a great season.

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefsman's Corner: Quarterly Review

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, OMFL.com

So it's been quite a while since I've sat in my corner and given some updates. So, what I'm now doing is going through quarterly reviews. I'll start with this quarterly newsletter with the updates of the newcomers to the league at this point in the season.

Buffalo Bills: StevenRhysCann

The newcomer to the league in the AFC East, Steven has more than held his own against some of the best owners in the OMFL with a lackluster roster, to put it mildly. With a 2-2 record going into week 5 of the season, and sitting second in the division to Coach Gaddy and the Patriots (whom he's beaten this season, the Patriots' only loss). I've heard nothing but good reports about this young OMFL coach, and he's an up and comer in this league. Look out, guys.

Cleveland Browns: GaBeastMode

Coach Beast is the head man in Cleveland now, a land of former instability and chaos. However, with a new attitude and offensive explosion in C-Town, the coach has his team tied for the AFC North division lead at 3-1. Another surprise team coming up the ranks, and now people are looking at the Browns as they did the Browns of the mid '80s - as a team playoff bound and possibly OMFL Bowl bound.

Denver Broncos: Coach Winuvas

Does this qualify as a new coach? Really? Well, Coach Winuvas returns from a hiatus of the league to coach the most talented team he's had a chance to have in Denver. With quality players at most positions, he's got a real chance to succeed. But a lackluster offensive performance through 4 games has the team at 2-2, but that is enough to lead the AFC West. Can Coach Winuvas finally break through his offensive struggles and get to the top of the OMFL? Only time will tell.

Washington Redskins: Coach Bamagrad

The new Redskins coach takes over a less than stellar roster in Washington, and he's having some growing pains in the tough NFC East. At 0-4, he's at the bottom of the division, but we know the team is capable of winning games - Coach Jeremy last year took them to the playoffs from an 0-16 season. Hang in there, Coach Bamagrad. Things will get better in the nation's capital.

Chicago Bears: Coach Calibucc

Don't let his name fool you: He's right at home in the center of the country in Chicago right now. He's got quarterback Jay Cutler and the Bears offense firing on all cylinders, and the city is rejuvenated and excited about their team again. I hear some folks even talking about him in the same breath as Coach Mike Ditka and the '85 Bears. While I don't think they are THAT good, you can't argue with the results: he's 4-0 and leading the NFC North.

Green Bay Packers: Coach Hulk Hagen

Where are YOU when Green Bay and Hulkamania is gonna get YOU????? Okay, I honestly couldn't resist that. But Coach Hagen is having some growing pains in the frozen tundra, and has gone 1-3 in his first four games. The problem isn't his offense, apparently: The Packers have scored 134 points. The pain part in Greenland in the defense. It's currently allowing a frigid 155 points, well below the talent level's capabilities.

So with all that new blood, who are the teams that are blowing it up and getting blown up? Here's four teams to look out for if they are on your schedule this year at the quarter point:

St. Louis Rams: Man, who remembers the days of the "Greatest Show on Turf" in St. Louis? When guys like Warner, Holt, and Faulk roamed the sidelines and lit all the defenses they faced up? Coach Bruce has apparently been showing those tapes to the team, as they have scored 157 points behind a powerful balancing force of run and pass behind rookie quarterback Sam Bradford and running back Stephen Jackson. Look out if you see the Rams on the schedule: it will be a high scoring affair if you can keep up the pace.

New Orleans Saints: Coach Nate and the Saints have forgotten about their big loss in the NFC Championship game to eventual champion Vishal and the Eagles last year. Don't mention that to Drew Brees and the boys in N'awlins. They are rolling at 4-0 this year and the offense is clicking on all cylinders. With that in play, their defense has been opportunistic and have only allowed 97 points through 4 games.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Two words: suffocating defense. When you play Jacksonville, you won't be scoring many points. Neither will the Jags. But that is just fine by Coach Dunlap and his boys in the Sunshine State. He'll run you over with Maurice Jones-Drew, or run around you with Maurice Jones-Drew. A lackluster performance through 4 games by quarterback David Garrard is the only thing keeping this team from being a lock in the OMFL Bowl this year.

New England Patriots: Tom Brady is having an off year. Randy Moss and Wes Welker aren't having stupendous years either. The Patriots defense isn't as dominant as it was last year. Coach Gaddy doesn't care. He just wins football games. His only loss this year came at the hands of the Bills, and you can bet he won't underestimate any more teams this year. You have been warned.

Now I have a few sleeper teams I want to talk about. Teams that, while their records may not look good now, look out. Either something with their roster, injuries that will heal, or just good old fashioned coaching will lead these teams to the top of the OMFL before all is said and done.

Buffalo Bills: As a colleague of mine, Chris Berman, might say: "NOBODY circles the wagons better than the Buffalo Bills." They don't have the talent of other teams. That much is obvious. But they have two things I love in a sleeper team: they play hard every play on defense, and they have a great coach in Coach StevenRhysCann. Look out, AFC East: the Bills are looking to humble a few teams here before all is said and done.

Tennessee Titans: This team always starts off slow and comes on strong. Coach Ox apparently sleeps during the first few weeks, giving other teams a chance to build a lead. With his week 4 demolition of Denver, I think Ox has the taste to get a winning streak going like he always seems to do at this point in the season. Look out if you see Tennessee in your forward vision on the schedule, and breathe easy if they are in your rear view mirror.

Detroit Lions: A long time ago, I made a huge error and picked against Coach Jeremy in his first OMFL championship run with the Vikings. I never see anything impressive with Coach Jeremy's squads: they have some stars and good players but never overly impressive. But Coach Jeremy has one thing going for him no matter what team he is at the helm of: he wins. Period. He gets into the playoff hunt, and he just plain wins games. You can't argue with this: last year he coached the 0-16 Washington Redskins to a playoff berth. He lost in the first round, but to go from winless to playoffs in one year? That's enough proof for me.

Houston Texans: News to the league: Coach Moogle is back and in command of a powerful offense and a stout young defense in Houston. And he was already a well-respected coach before his departure due to a contract dispute. Now back and focused, he's got, by points allowed, the best defense in the league. Better than Jacksonville. Absorb THAT for a minute. With guys like Matt Shaub and Andre Johnson, and a running attack that includes Ben Tate, this team is a force down in the AFC South.

So, over the next few weeks, what kind of things will be going on in the OMFL? What does this blogger see happening?

AFC Leaders at Week 8: I see the Patriots leading the AFC East, the Bengals atop the AFC North, the Jaguars atop the AFC South and undefeated, and the Raiders atop the AFC West. Wild cards at that point will be the Texans and Jets.

NFC Leaders at Week 8: I see the Eagles getting back on top of the NFC East, the Lions atop the NFC North, the Saints leading the NFC South, and the Rams holding onto the NFC West lead and being undefeated. Wild cards will be the Bears and Cowboys.

MVP: In the NFC, it's gonna be Drew Brees in New Orleans leading in the clubhouse at the week 8 mark. In the AFC, it will be a surprise: Ben Tate in Houston. The overall OMFL MVP, though, will be obvious to all: barring injury, Maurice Jones-Drew will be head and shoulders above everyone while leading the team to an undefeated record.

Owner of the Year: At the week 8 point, I'll put my money on one of the undefeateds I predicted. However, it's not Coach Dunlap and the Jaguars. Give this one to Coach Bruce and the Rams. Gotta respect that kind of record with that roster.

Best offense in the OMFL: I will say that the best offense in the league at the week 8 point of the year will be the Arizona Cardinals. However, their pitiful defense, marred by injuries, will keep them down in the standings.

Best defense in the OMFL: Jacksonville Jaguars. I'm done here.

So, there's a few predictions from the OMFL.com blogger extraordinaire. I'll check back in at the halfway point of the season, see how I did on my predictions, and make more so that way the fans of the OMFL have something to chew the fat over.

Keep up with all the OMFL.com blogs on the sister website:

25. Big D

Big D Walk On

Wow! That was awesome!!!!!

Keep these comin Win.....spectacular!