Chompions League Roster and Rules

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

LEAGUE RULES

- We, like all other leagues at TSO, are a "SIM style" league. This means that your gameplay should reflect real life NCAA football ideals as much as possible. Every issue will be ironed out with an eye on fair play within the video game we play that attempts to replicate real life. Not on the pretense that we are actual college football coaches.

- No exploiting flaws in the AI by running money plays or plays that you know are unstoppable over and over. Against humans, the "run it till they stop it" ideal is acceptable to a degree, but mostly with plays like HB dive and interior runs, or basic plays like slants. However, spamming ANY play constantly is frowned upon. The cheesier the play is, the less you should use it. We are largely self-policing, but sometimes that isn't enough and we understand that. Contact the commissioner with any complaints. Sometimes I will act immediately, other times I will add the complaint or information to my knowledge base and discuss it with the executive commissioners.

- On offense, establish a team identity and stick with it for the most part. If you are a west-coast playbook going exclusively into your 4 and 5-wides shotgun formations anytime you get down, something is wrong. We generally want to avoid desperation, i.e. stretching of the rules when the game is close late. Other than that, we don't want to limit aggressiveness. You should know what's going too far. It's important to try to win at all costs, just not to go to any length to do it.... If that makes sense. If it doesn't, contact me. I really agree that it can be a difficult issue and am not afraid of discussion.

- Going further on the previous topic: It is vital to mix up your play calling on both sides of the ball. This not only means calling a good variety of plays, but also calling a good variety of plays per down. For example, you shouldn't be going to the same formation or play every time you face a third down. Obviously there are exceptions to this. If you are constantly in 3-and-1, 3-and-2 situations, by all means call HB dive out of the i-form as much as you would like. But on third-and-passing situations you can't simply go 5-wide or call the same 1/2 plays without fail. There needs to be variation.

- No running up the stats on either the cpu or another user. If your up big late, pull your starters. It's fairly obvious when a user tries to pad stats with a certain player(s) over the course of the season, and it was a big problem in CL 13. With individual stats being a factor in coach progression this year, padding stats simply won't be tolerated. Furthermore, I'd like a player to win a Heisman because he was just that good, not because a player manufactured the stats to win him a Heisman.

- No team should ever top 70 pts, unless the final score is something like 73-70. As it pertains to games that aren't close, teams shouldn't be topping 60 points more than once or twice a year... The scoring cap is not a scoring "target" it's a cap. I don't foresee this being an issue this year with the CPU being more of a challenge.

- Be realistic with your QB on pass plays. Dropping back 10-15 yards, rolling past the hashes, etc is not sim and not what should be done. Yes, if you feel pressure, you can roll out or scramble. Yes, if you call a designed roll out you can roll out. Yes, if you call a screen you can drop back further than normal. But on a regular passing play, no one should be taking the snap and sprinting 10 yards back with their QB before setting up to pass, or scrambling outside the pocket to extend the play without pressure. Scrambling and running is allowed to some extent... Let's face it that's a fact of real-life football and has won titles for teams (see Young, Vince). However with some versions of the game it has been difficult to stop and become cheesy to run the QB. It is something that is evaluated on a year-to-year basis and I will update if need be. Scrambling and dumping when the defense comes up can be a great play but should be rare. Like once a game or less rare.

- Player control - On defense, the player you select to control on a play is the only one that can be manually moved prior to the snap. If you are clicking on various players and changing scheme assignments that is fine, but only one player can be manually moved, and that is the one you control. Running around aimlessly with a defender prior to the snap so that your player will be in motion once the ball is snapped is not allowed.

- Team control, prior to snap - This includes things like motioning receivers, motioning the line/linebackers on defense, etc. All motioning should be done in a realistic manner, and should never be done in an effort to confuse the AI and gain an advantage. For instance, based on an offensive formation you may want to line up your line and backers a certain way. you might decide to change it at some point as well. One change prior to a play should usually be sufficient. Two on occasion. Or change them based on a perceived offensive change or motion. What you cannot and should not do is be constantly moving them around hoping to keep them in motion prior to the snap, or to create AI confusion. An "overload" or occasional "stunt" type play is considered fine as long as the aim is not to "break" the AI. On offense... Motioning receivers should be done in a realistic manner. Wait for the receiver to stop and set prior to snapping the ball, unless it is auto motion.

- For the time being...all gameplan settings (aggressive/conservative) and defensive keys (run middle, defend pass) are allowed. If anyone is found to be abusing these, or if complaints arise, we will revisit. If something makes the game unbalanced, don't use it to screw people, please report it to the commish so we can have a discussion about it.

- Custom Playbooks: I do allow custom playbooks, but they should fit a scheme. It can't just be a hodgepodge of every single offensive system. If you have questions about this, talk to me.

- Sliders/game rules: We play 7 min, Heisman, normal speed. Sliders are a work in progress right now, as they are with all the dynasties. They might be tweaked throughout the season.

- Recruiting restrictions: Like last year there will be a scholarship limit. I'll announce it prior to the season.

- Position changes:
    Players have to play at their assigned position or a realistic switch. A realistic switch would be a TE playing FB in a few sets or a G playing T or a FS playing CB. An unrealistic switch would be a 92 spd 180 pound HB playing FB or a 95 spd 190 pound FS playing MLB

- Off-Season: We consider this one of the most enjoyable parts of the season. We schedule a night and time on the boards. Everyone is expected to make it. We bang out the entire process in 1 night while having a good time chatting on aim. If someone can’t make it, you’re allowed to have another CL member sit in for you.

- Board Participation: YOU MUST BE ACTIVE!!!! Non-negotiable. Some people like to post full game recaps with pics and vids. Some people like to post tidbits here and there. Some people just like to comment on others. Whatever you like to do is fine, but I must see posts and regular league involvement and interest. This is something I really am not concerned about too much because we WILL have guys who are "into it" in this league and they are typically the types that will stay active on the board.

USER vs. USER RESTART RULES

If one user is clearly more proactive in scheduling a game, he will play the computer in place of the negligent user. If both users are proactive the game will either be simmed or the deadline will be extended.

If a user lags out or drops connection during the game, the game will either be replayed, simmed out, or played against the computer. Basically use your judgement and work something out before coming to the commissioner for a decision. Generally here are a few guidelines:

• if one team has a decisive lead late in the game and he drops connection, SIM it in his favor
    • if the team losing drops connection in the second half, the team with the lead can finish against the computer
    • if it's in the first half and close, just replay it. If it's the second half and close, replay it.
    If you drop a game and can't reschedule within 48-hour deadline, just sim or finish against CPU

GENERAL BEHAVIOR

- If you feel someone cheated you or cheesed, do not post in the forums. PM the commish, and he and the competition committee will handle accordingly.

- Act like an adult. This is supposed to be a fun and competitive league among friends, remember that first and foremost always. This will be a league where people have genuine respect for the other players. People who don't fit that definition will simply not be a part of our league.

Please read and confirm that you have.

cmassey13 macc24usc jandy CJTHA1 TheMNorthFace Boraby Jbek ssuwr86 Glen Cieske MrWitness36 cyhiphopp

• Like Like x 3
  2. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

understood

3. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

4. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Do you want us to post the sets from custom playbooks or just let you know the general scheme?

5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

You don't have to even post it, just be mindful of the guidelines

• Like Like x 1
  6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Do you want to go over no huddle guidelines too?

7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Do you have any suggestions? There were no restrictions last year?

8. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

understood​

9. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I think as long as the offensive player allows the defense to pick a play, huddles after clock stoppages or when plays go for a loss, etc. Of course in a 2 minute drill anything goes.

Basically just like everything else, you can do it, but don't make it cheesy!

I am pretty sure Jandy is planning on running up tempo and I know he does it the right way. I didn't want any of the new users to get bent out of shape.

10. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah Jandy and I both run up-tempo spread. I think you hit the nail on the head there, huddle when it's appropriate and allow the defense to set/pick a play, but those are general rules for TSO. I also think the personel groupings for no huddle this year help in the SIM department

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

As long as the fix the bug where it brings up the wrong formation on offense when you get up to the line. That's annoying.

12. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

It's only for a few formations so if anything it makes hurry-up offenses huddle more. It hasn't been an issue for me in my system, I just don't call those formations when I know I want to pick up the tempo

13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Which formations does it eff up on?

14. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

agreed on the rules. One thing I will say on the no-huddle is that teams shouldn't go from a spread formation to a goal line or jumbo formation as an audible in the no huddle. I know that should be understood with the "don't be cheesy about it" thing, but I've seen it happen before. The personnel should fit the formation even in no huddle situations, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boraby

Boraby Walk On

I understand the rules and agree to them.

I do have a slight concern, however, with
    Let me be sure I understand this properly, Spayer419 - I am playing defense. I can't manually move one player closer to the line and I can't move another player somewhere else? With all due respect, that is how football is played. The defense reads the offense and makes adjustments. That's about as sim as it gets. I'm not saying move them all in a cheesy format that abuses the system, I'm saying I should be able to position my defense exactly how I want to defend the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

All of the rules I've listed are from other dynasties on TSO. If you think you can move around players in a SIM fashion, then by all means do it. That being said, most movements that you need to make with a defense can be done through the buttons that adjust personel groups (press coverage for safeties, pinch/spread dline, show blitz for linebackers ect).

cmassey13 you can't even do that anymore. If you call your initial play in the 12 package (1 HB | 2 TE | 2 WR) you are only able to no huddle into other 12 package formations

17. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Does that also include someone no huddling and then changing it with one of their audibles? That's how I've seen it done in the past. Anyway, I think all the guys in our league will stay away from that kind of cheesiness.

18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

That's something I hadn't considered, but yeah you cant audible from a shotgun 3-wide set to a jumbo-I. I think that should go without saying for people in this league though

19. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

I agree to the terms and conditions

• Like Like x 1
  20. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

You stated that you did allow custom playbooks, so can we use them on defense as well? Did we come up with a ruling on the 4-2-5. I'm going to base a 4-3 Defense, but I like to use the 4-2-5 as a nickel/dime look. Is that alllowed?

21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I do allow defensive custom playbooks as long as you stick with a certain scheme ... so no being a 4-3 defense but also having all the 3-3-5 and 3-4 formation. I basically allow customs for defense so you can add stuff like nickel strong and 4-4 which, forever reason, aren't in the base playbooks. As to your question, we've had a lot of problems with the 4-2-5 in the past, especially with cheese blitzing out of it. I'll have to get back to you on that prior to CL start

22. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

No worries. I'll just base 4-3. But we are allowed to add a 5-2 and a 46 Defense right?

24. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah just use those appropriately

25. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Did they change how you do press coverage for safeties this year? I think I tried the other day and it just adjusted their zones and they didn't move up at all.