Chronicles of a Coach: Basil Faraday

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Basis4aDay56, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Basil Faraday

Alma Mater: Notre Dame

First Coaching Job: Offensive Coordinator - Kent State - 2011
    Current Coaching Job: As above

Record by Season
    2011 - Kent State (MAC East): 7-5 (6-2) - MAC East Division Champions

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Kent State OC - 2011 Week 4

The Kent State Alumni Association cannot wait until the MAC season starts. They seem to be taking our out of conference schedule with a grain of salt - a [simmed] win against ULL showed about where this team could play within the conference. Other OOC games against Notre Dame in South Bend, Kansas State in Manhattan, and Boston College at home really exposed the 1-star Golden Flashes.

In our most recent game, both offense and defense showed signs of life in front of what looked like 1,500 home fans. How BC even agreed to come play in Ohio is beyond us. The defense scored their second touchdown of the season in this game, and the offense hit on their first big pass play. Things are looking up and next week, we head to Ohio to play the Bobcats to open the MAC season up.

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Kent State OC - 2011 Week 7

The Kent State Alumni Association has started to increase their expectations after a nice come from behind win over Miami (OH). When I last heard from the alums, they were patiently waiting for the MAC season to begin, and this is apparently why. After going 1-3 OOC, we are off to a 2-1 conference start that includes a road win over Ohio, and a 6 point road loss to Northern Illinois to go with the recent win.

There has been a bit of a quarterback battle at the top that the Association had told me that they were keeping a distant eye on. Entering the Miami game, Keith Spencer (Jr.) was the incumbent. To this point, he had struggled to a lower than 50% completion percentage, 14 interceptions, and only 6 touchdowns; he was on a short leash. Things could not have gone worse for him to start the game against the Redhawks, as he threw an interception on EACH of our first 3 drives. I benched him in favor or Giorgio Morgan (RS Sr.) after we went down 14-0. Unfortunately for Spencer and very fortunately for Kent State fans, Morgan provided a spark and went 11-18, 267 yds, 3 TD and 2 INT. As he is a senior, and also because there was a spark in our offense that I just didn't notice with Spencer calling the shots, Morgan won the job with his performance. Spencer has the raw skills but really needs to hone them in, and as a Junior, he should be poised for next season.

In addition to the relatively good start to conference play, our recruiting is off to a nice start. We had a couple of kids in for visits this week, including a couple that we are directly competing with Miami (OH) for. I hope to announce some more recruiting news in the near future.

How 'bout that Jacquise Terry eh? He is a treat to coach, and really what makes our offense tick.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Kent State OC - 2011 Week 13

What an up and down regular season! We just hopped on the bus back to Ohio from Philly after an unlikely 15 point 4th quarter comeback to take the MAC East crown. We were sloppy on offense, but our guys hung in there and put in a gritty performance for the win. I can't believe I actually had all 3 of our active quarterbacks play at some point in this one! Morgan was ineffective early, throwing 3 picks and never really getting anything going. Finally, enough was enough and I went to Spencer Keith. He threw a pick on his first (and only) pass, so I turned to a redshirt Freshman for a few plays. Glad I settled back on Morgan who had some time to collect himself.

I gotta give it to our defense as well. My offense was clearly in bad shape and the D stepped up and made a play when they intercepted a Temple pass for a TD. That sort of calmed our offense down and we got to work. The way Morgan calmly led us down the field in the 2 minute drill was great, and to cap it with a veteran scramble for the go-ahead score was typical of the way he plays the game.

Next week we can rest up and study film of Western Michigan who we'll face off against in the MAC Championship game. They're going to be tough, but we'll be ready.