Cimmy's 2010 Season Pick' Em

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by Cimmy24, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Cimmy's 2010 Season Pick' Em

Wk Record Upset
    1 3-2 N
    2 3-2 N
    Ovr 6-4 -

I am going to be doing this every week, picking some of the games during the college football season. I will be picking 5 games and 1 upset alert. (6 total for the math geniuses) So, starting off with week number 1, which kicks off this Thursday.

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]
    Thursday, Sept 2 @ 7:30 PM EST

Southern Miss has talent on the offensive side of the ball that can make big plays and score points. South Carolina struggled last season on the offensive side of the ball. QB Stephen Garcia returns to right the ship, but will be missing one of his big targets, TE Saunders is out for this game with ties to a hotel incident. Will the allegations get to the Gamecocks?

My Pick: [​IMG] 35-28
    Result: 41-17 South Carolina
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]
    Saturday, Sept 4 @ 7 PM EST

Jake Locker has proven himself last year to be a very good QB, and many have him projected to be the #1 pick in the next NFL draft. With the losses of Hall and Unga, who will step up for the BYU offense? A team that has talent, but has more questions marks will struggle at home. Especially against Locker and an underrated Chris Polk.

My Pick: [​IMG] 35-13
    Result:BYU 23-17
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 [​IMG] @ #6 [​IMG]
    Saturday, Sept 4 @ 7:45 PM EST

Andy Dalton returns to lead the Horned Frogs one step further than last year as they fell to Boise St. A defensive mastermind stands on the sidelines for TCU, looking to stop the nations most explosive players in Jacquizz Rodgers. The offensive firepower the Beavers bring is phenomenal in Quizz and brother James Rodgers at WR. QB Ryan Katz needs to emerge and lead this team. Defensively, DT Stephen Paea is one of the nations best. A "neutral site" for this one, in Arlington, TX will likely draw a large crowd of purple.

My Pick: [​IMG] 24-20
    Result:TCU 30-21

#21 [​IMG] v #18 [​IMG]
    Saturday, Sept 4 @ 8 PM EST

The ACC v SEC kickoff game is between LSU and North Carolina. UNC brings one of the most hyped defenses in college football to the slate to take on an LSU offense that was near the bottom in offense last year. Jordan Jefferson has matured and wants to right his path, hoping the run game improves from last year. UNC's offense is nothing to brag about either. This one will be a low scoring, last second decision.

My Pick:[​IMG] 17-13
    Result:LSU 30-24

Game of the Week

#3 [​IMG] v #10 [​IMG]
    Monday, Sept 6 @ 8 PM EST

LSU v UNC may be hyped all over as the game of the week, and I will say it was tough not to make it so, but this game has alot of weight on it for Boise St. If Boise loses, their season is dashed and all the smack talk gets shoved back down their throats. Virginia Tech has a HUGE burden on their shoulders to take down the Broncos and begin the climb back into supremacy. Tyrod Taylor and Kellen Moore each have a talent to give the ball to. Personally, I think the HBs of Ryan Williams and Darren Evans will fuel this Hokie team.

My Pick:[​IMG] 28-20

UPSET ALERT FOR WEEK 1

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]
    Saturday, Sept 4 @ 3:30 PM EST

Michigan, you are on upset alert. UCONN brings talent at QB in Frazer and an underrated HB in Jordan Todman. Yes, you have 3 QBs, congratulations. However, this UCONN defense is good. This is a game that COULD be an upset in the New Big House.
    Result:Michigan 30-10

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Nice. You should check the spread for these games and pick against it then keep track of how you do. I'd be more interested in that, personally.

3. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

I will be keeping a eye on this weekly. i like your picks for week 1

4. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

didn't realize how many good week 1 games there were. i like UNC to knock off LSU and think BYU keeps it closer vs UW.

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

UNC has a fantastic defense, no doubt, but so does LSU. LSU has more weapons on offense than UNC....edge LSU. It is going to be a great game! I think Chris Polk will break through against BYU. Locker is going to have a great game, no doubt, but Polk hasn't gotten the attention he deserves.

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

We still don't know the outcome of some of those players on UNC's defense will be

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Good point, assuming all is well in Tarheel Land...they have a fantastic defense...

This just supports LSU even more...might even widen the margin of victory...

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I agree... I have picked LSU in my ESPN Pick em

9. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

LSU WINS!!! I will never pick against my TIGERS no matter who we play. but if our offense does not produce it will be a long night

10. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

UNC has the most talented scout defense in the country right now because most of their starters on that scout team because they aren't expected to be eligible. Before the academic issues I though UNC might pull it off but with that many starters gone on defense LSU wins.

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Updated with results as of Sunday. Thus far I am 3-2 with the Virginia Tech v Boise St game to decide if I am above .500 or not. Michigan sure proved me wrong. Denard Robinson looked great against a UCONN defense that was supposed to be pretty good and help the Huskies contend in the Big East. The Huskies offense just couldn't get any production going, with what seemed like an endless amount of dropped balls by their receivers, except for one pretty great play. I guess when deciding to pick my upset alert as either this game, or Purdue over ND (which ND won anyway) I should've put into account the "New" Big House.

Pretty disappointed with Washington. I guess I got caught up in the preseason Jake Locker hype. He had a mediocre game (for the 2009 season and hype he has received), but the BYU defense absolutely shut them down in the second half. Two missed 4th down conversion attempts by the Huskies really set them back. Polk had a pretty good game on the ground despite no touchdowns. Give credit where it is due for the BYU QBs, specifically Riley Nelson who threw 2 TDs in his first start in quite a while.

Although they lost, I give the Tarheels some credit for making it a game despite all the attention they have been getting this week with the loss of 13 players. They had a giant monkey on their backs heading into this one and nobody was giving them a chance, but they came back late and made it a game. This offense deserves a little more respect then what they have been given living in the shadows of the NFL ready defense and the allegations.

TCU was able to hold on against Oregon St, who to me, threw this game away. I believe all around, Oregon St had the better team, but poor decisions and poor throws by QB Ryan Katz making his first start cost them. He tried for the money throw numerous times and didn't give it to his playmaker Jacquizzzzzz when he could've made things happen. He will learn that you don't win games by making highlight reel plays on every down, but by working the field and the defense. Save those magical plays for when it gets intense and you see an opening. He was extremely lucky when he threw into double coverage in I believe the 3rd quarter. Idk what he was thinking, but he obviously wanted to go there from the huddle. He will learn, just like every new starter will learn, including Robert Bolden of my Nittany Lions (y)

Giving him credit, he played a good game from what I hear. Wasn't able to watch, but saw highlights and he looked good. It was a Youngstown St team, but he looked pretty good. We'll see how he really is next week as the Lions travel to Tuscaloosa to take on the defending National Champ Crimson Tide. It'll be an early defining moment for our team.

That was my homer moment for the week, you'll get that from me all the time, but moving on to the game Monday night, VT and Boise. This one is HUGE. It is big for both programs as Boise looks to make a statement and get into the National Championship Game and Virginia Tech looks to get back into the national spotlight. I also did not know this, but was mentioned during one of the later games last night, I believe the LSU/UNC game, but the Hokies are 1-25 when playing Top 5 opponents.....ouch!

12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well after going 3-2 last week thanks to Boise St edging the Hokies and missing the upset as Denard Robinson worked his magic, I am looking to go big. What a great weekend to try and go perfect as this week we see some of the biggest games of the year. Let's get started!

[​IMG] v [​IMG]

Michigan's Denard "Shoelace" Robinson put on a show for the Maize and Blue faithful in The "New" Big House and set records for the U of M. This week, they face a team led by a new head coach Brian Kelly and also a new starting QB in Dayne Crist. The game is in South Bend in front of Touchdown Jesus, but can Notre Dame's defense contain the Shoelace? This is a rivalry game that shouldn't be missed.

My Pick:[​IMG] 31-28

-------------------------------------------------

#24 [​IMG] v #22 [​IMG]

The Gamecocks worked the Eagles of Southern Miss last Thursday in Columbia. This week they host a Georgia Bulldog team that will be missing one of their star players in WR AJ Green who is being held out due to investigation. I watched the Southern Miss v South Carolina game Thursday and Stephen Garcia made some plays that made me say, "What an idiot" before the whistle blew...and he got lucky. This UGA defense he will see is much better than that of the Golden Eagles.

My Pick:[​IMG] 28-20

#10 [​IMG] v #17 [​IMG]

Here we go! One of the big match ups of the weekend. Florida St, minus Bowden, traveling to Norman to take on the Sooners. A game that has been on the mind's of Seminoles fans for the past couple of years. Last week, Florida St took the Samford Bulldogs to the woodshed, while Oklahoma won a close one to the Utah St Aggies. Florida St, isn't on the same level as Utah St. Christian Ponder is proving himself and is facing a defense that almost gave one away to a team thats, let's face it, subpar, if that.

My Pick:[​IMG] 28-13

#2 [​IMG] v #12 [​IMG]

Thug U v Thee Former Home of Maurice Clarett....sorry, I had to. The Hurricanes travel to Columbus to take on the Buckeyes in one of the marque games for this weekend. The Hurricane defense blanked Florida A&M on their way to a 45-0 win, while the Bucks handed Marshall a 45-7 loss. Columbus is rocking and Terrelle Pryor is being hyped more than ever. Jacory Harris will be looking to end that hype. This game is going to be decided in the trenches and on the ground and I favor Pryor, Saine, and Herron if that's the case.

My Pick:[​IMG] 27-17

[​IMG] v #7 [​IMG]

Oh boy. Oregon did what? 72 points on New Mexico? Back-Up Kenjon Barner had 5 TDs?!?!?! In the first half?!?! Yeah, that's for real. The Oregon Ducks travel to the southland to Neyland Stadium to take on the Vols of Tennessee. The Vols shut out the Skyhawks...the who? The Skyhawks of Tennessee-Martin. Playing in Neyland is the biggest thing going for the Vols.

My Pick:[​IMG] 35-17

UPSET ALERT

#1 [​IMG] v #18 [​IMG]

I know....what else do you expect from a Penn State student/fan? I'm sitting here in Happy Valley...how can I go against my Lions? Give me a little break....

13. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Nice picks Cimmy. I will take the Vols over the Ducks. Also DA U takes down tOSU!!!!

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

The Vols over Oregon? Pft...I can see Miami over OSU...kinda...but not the Vols over the Ducks...

15. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

i'm a fan of Coach Dooley

16. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

So, what did we learn week 2???

The ACC is losing credibility fast. Miami handled by an Ohio State team that looked VERY GOOD....and thats coming from a die-hard Buckeye hater...Florida St absolutely rolled by Oklahoma (insert Utah St)....Georgia Tech shut down by Kansas (insert North Dakota St)...oh...and Virginia Tech beaten by James Madison. Clemson took care of Presbyterian and Maryland put Morgan St to bed, but come on...James Madison? North Dakota St? ACC struggled today. They have good teams and a lot of talent in that conference, but they haven't put it together. What else does this tell me???

Well....Boise St took a huge hit to their National Championship hopes. VT losing to James Madison absolutely hurts (imo kills) Boise's chances of going to the National Championship game, even if they win out. Why? The computer's will see them squeaking by a VT team that lost to James Madison...oh, and don't forget the rest of the Boise Schedule...(@ Wyoming, v Oregon St, @ New Mexico St, v Toledo, @ San Jose St, v LaTech, v Hawaii, @ Idaho, v Fresno St, @ Nevada, v Utah St). For Boise St to get to the Natty...they need A LOT to happen. The BCS Powerhouses need to fall apart. They're not getting in over a 1-loss SEC team, sorry. Someone else will probably run the table...Ohio State looks real good, but could falter. I just don't think Boise St is in the race anymore...yes it's early, but I'm selling that all day.

Penn State v Alabama. We got beat pretty good, 24-3. That's a poor day, but...in my opinion...trying to shove the homer fog out of my view...PSU looks good. Not great, not a 1 loss team, or even 2 for that matter...but good. Bolden shows promise. Look what he was up against in his 2nd start as a college football athlete. A night game in Bryant-Denny? Veterans will struggle in that. He threw 2 INTs...his offensive line didn't give him much time. The air ball he threw he got mashed as he made the throw....he had a good read and coulda put a good ball in. However....pressure. He will be a good quarterback for the Lions down the road. Penn State definitely had their chances and moved the football, but you're not going to win, especially against Alabama when you turn the ball over that much. Sloppy play.

Overall....I believe this is going to be one wild season of college football....

3-2 for the week and a negative on the Upset Alert....but I knew better with that one.....