Cimmy's Conference Corner

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Cimmy24, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

[​IMG]

With the conference games starting to get underway, we will begin to see who is real and who is a pretender in the 2009 season of the BigXII Conference. Every team has their strengths and their weaknesses. Every coach has their good times and their bads. Who is going to rise to the occasion and win the 2009 BigXII Title and possibly contend for a National Championship? The real question is, who will survive the Civil War?

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

To get things started, I am going to braekdown the players to watch in the BigXII. Every team has their star player that will be the deciding factor in victory or defeat. As we proceed through week 7 of the 2009 season, let's see who stands out in their teams colors.

Baylor Bears:
    ~JR HB Jay Finley: This guy is leading Baylor down the path to success. A powerful HB, he is 2nd in the BigXII in yards and has 10 TDs at this point in the season. If Baylor wants to win and become a team that is no longer considered mediocre, Finley is going to have to continue to pound the rock.

Colorado Buffs:
    ~JR LE Marquez Herrod: A beat on the outside, Herrod has found his way to pressure the opposing QB's. With 8 tackles for losses and 4 sacks, this guy has performed well. Putting pressure on the QB is key in the BigXII and Colorado has a magician at the DE position with him. If he continues to excel this season and return for his senior year, this Colorado defense could be one of the best in the conference.

Iowa St. Cyclones:
    ~SR OLB Fred Garrin: When BigXII opponents in the past have heard they will be facing Iowa St., most of them shurrged and looked at who was next on the schedule. Not with this kid at linebacker. Garrin has produced 30 tackles so far and is on pace for the record books. Iowa St. will need more than just his help on defense, but at 6' 1" 227 LBs, he is nothing to mess with.

Kansas Jayhawks:
    ~SR LE Maxwell Onyegbule: Another speedster at DE, for the Jayhawks, Onyegbule is as tough as his name is to pronounce. Leading the BigXII with 11 tackles for loss, Maxwell is a force to be reckoned with on the outside. 6 total sacks so far have set the tone for the Kansas defense and will continue to put fear on opposing offensive lines.

Kansas St. Wildcats:
    ~SR QB Grant Gregory: We had to come upon a QB sooner or later in this conference, and why not start with the guy who has been the top performer thus far within the conference. Gregory has an astonishing 203.9 passer rating. 19 Touchdowns with only 1 interception are reason enough to believe this guy could start finding his name heard in Heisman talk. He will tear apart even the best defenses in the country and put up huge numbers.

Missouri Tigers:
    ~SO QB Blaine Gabbert: 321 passing yards is alot in one game of football, but when that number is your average yard per game thus far in the season, that number is outstanding. Gabbert leads the BigXII with 321.4 yds per game average through the air with 14 TDs and 3 interceptions. This kid is a huge part of the Tigers football team in their run back to success.

Nebraska Cornhuskers:
    ~ JR HB Roy Helu: With the passing game being near the bottom of the BigXII, the running game needs to take leadership. With a runner like Helu, Nebraska has done just that. With 556 yards thus far on 109 attempts, Helu has led Nebraska to victory. With no definitive coach yet through the season, Helu has been consistent in finding the endzone.

Oklahoma Sooners:
    ~ JR HB Demarco Murray: Some say an obvious selection for the Sooners, but he has proven that so far this season. With 772 yards and 11 TDs this back is hard to stop. His yards after contact is an outstanding 229 yards. Murray has yet to fumble the ball and is on track for an All-American season.

Oklahoma St Cowboys:
    ~ SR CB Terrance Anderson: When it comes to playing the corner position, Anderson is one of the leaders. He has 20 tackles thus far, but what makes him stand out are his 5 interceptions. At 5' 11", he doesn't have the size advantage over most of the BigXII's receivers, but he finds away to take the ball. When Oklahoma St is the team you play on any particular weekend, be leary of throwing the ball in Anderson's direction, he may take it to the house....again.

Texas Longhorns:
    ~SR WR Jordan Shipley: Now, the QB who gets him the ball could easily be put in this as well, but Shipley has proven when he gets the ball, he will take it for a ride. 40 receptions for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns isn't the only reason Shipley made my list. It is his 243 yard after contact that make him an outstanding WR.

Texas A&M Aggies:
    ~JR QB Jerrod Johnson: Now, this is my team so there will be some homer satisfaction, but how can anyone go wrong with Jerrod Johnson on this list? A QB rating of 204.5 with 1965 passing yards and 23 TDs with only 7 INTs (All came against Oklahoma St). He is dishing out the ball to his hot WRs Fuller and McCoy (The Best McCoy in Texas). Johnson is a dual threat who can make any play a big one.

Texas Tech Red Raiders:
    ~JR MLB Brian Duncan: Leading the BigXII in tackles, Duncan is a beast in the middle of the field. He has 56 tackles and 6 TFLs, one being a sack. A forced fumble is reason to believe this guy will hit you and hit you hard. It is a tough job to get the ball past this guy, and with him weighing 240 LBs, I wouldn't want to try.

3. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

BigXII South

The BigXII South has always been one of the toughest divisions in all of college football and it is still be proven today. Oklahoma St currently leads the division, with Texas and Oklahoma close, both with only 1 loss. Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech have some work to do if they want to play in Cowboys Stadium for the BigXII Title. TAMU managed their first conference win over the Red Raiders, while Baylor and Tech are still looking for their first win in conference. Oklahoma St finds themselves with a hard matchup next week against the Longhorns, who are looking to make the race even tighter. Oklahoma still sits there, currently at #9 in the standings waiting for their shot at the Cowboys in week 13. There is still plenty of football to be played and anyone of these teams, by the numbers, still has a shot at the BigXII title. In my opinion, it will come down to next weeks Oklahoma St v Texas game. If Texas wins, look out for one helluva contest between the Cowboys, Sooners, Longhorns, and with an outside shot, the Aggies. TAMU needs to run the table, plain and simple. If they are unable to do so, they will be looking at trying to nail a mediocre bowl game.

BigXII North
    Now, me putting the North under the South didn't hit me until now that it makes absolutely no sense, but due to time constraints and lack of drive to fix it, we roll on. The North is tighter than a 15 year old and will be one of the best races to the BigXII title we have seen in years. Kansas St, Nebraska, and Kansas are all undefeated with Colorado only having 1 loss behind them. Iowa St, even with 2 losses is still not out of things, neither are the Tigers from Mizzou. The Jayhawks are coming off a huge win over the Sooners and Iowa St fell to the Huskers, so these numbers will change, but the top 3 are still looking at going undefeated into each others matchups. Kansas St has a huge game against Colorado that could pull the Buffalos into the mix. Nebraska has a tough road ahead, playing @ Baylor next week, Oklahoma, @ Kansas, Kansas St, then finishing up @ Colorado is looking to be a tough task. If Kansas St slips past Colorado, we will have ourselves a huge matchup next week as the Jayhawks and Wildcats square off for the BigXII North lead.

Stay Tuned Folks! We're Going to Have One Helluva Shootout!

4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Home Stretch Update

Standings

BigXII North
    1. #3 Nebraska 8-0(4-0)
    2. #9 Kansas St 8-1(4-1)
    3. #10 Kansas 7-1(3-1)
    4. #19 Mizzou 5-3(1-3)
    5. #24 Colorado 5-3(1-3)
    6. Iowa St 3-6(1-4)

BigXII South
    1. #4 Texas 7-1(4-1)
    2. #6 Oklahoma St 7-1(3-1)
    3. Texas A&M 6-2(2-2)
    4. #8 Oklahoma 6-2(2-2)
    5. Texas Tech 5-4(1-4)
    6. Baylor 4-4(0-4)

~As we begin our week 10 games, the race for Dallas is on. Contenders and pretenders are defining themselves and conference races are getting extremely tight. This week has some key match ups that could make or break the season for some of the BigXII's finest. Here is a closer look at some of the more important games in week 10.

Must Win Game of the Week
    (6-2) Texas A&M @ #24 (5-3) Colorado

~This is a must win game for both teams. TAMU is 1 game behind the BigXII South Leading Longhorns and Cowboys and they are running out of time. A Texas win over Oklahoma St out them in a position to contend, but they still need an OSU loss or two and can vault themselves into the lead with a win over Texas in the final game of the regular season. That game could have the makings of a BigXII South Divison Championship, but the Aggies need to get through Colorado first. That will not be an easy task. The Buffs are just about locked out of the BigXII Championship in the North Division and are looking for that 6th win to get them bowl eligible before they get to an extremely hard closing schedule. After TAMU, CU has meetings at Iowa St, where the Cyclones are hungry to contend for recruits and a bowl game as well, followed by a road game against the Cowboys of Oklahoma St and finish at home to the undefeated Nebraska Cornhuskers. Colorado could slip and lose those last 3, so getting that 6th win is crucial for this program. This game will be a shootout. Look for both offenses to try and light up the scoreboard in what could be a high scoring affair.

Most Intriguing Game of the Week
    #8 (6-2) Oklahoma @ #3 (8-0) Nebraska

~This game has the glitz and glamour to go along with it. Two storied programs, each looking to make it to Dallas for the BigXII CCG. Oklahoma comes into this game with the #3 Rush Offense in the Nation matching up with College Football's #5 Rush Defense in Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have only allowed 538 yards rushing as Oklahoma brings a 28 rushing TD team to the table. This game has the makings to be a classic. A low scoring defensive game is bound to happen come gameday. Oklahoma will pull out everything they have to remain in the chase for a BigXII CCG bid as they are also a game back with TAMU in the South. Nebraska has an undefeated season in the making and aren't looking for just a BigXII Title, but a BCS Title as well. The difference in this one for each team...for Nebraska, force Oklahoma to pass the football. If they can stop this monster running game the Sooners have, they can win this one and send OU home with their heads down. For Oklahoma, keep it close til the end and don't turn it over. OU has had trouble in the past throwing INTs and Nebraska is no slouch and forcing them. If they can keep it close til the very end, Oklahoma could milk the clock with their running game and give Nebraska their first, and one helluva heart-breaking loss on the season.

Thee BigXII Game of the Week
    #10 (7-1) Kansas @ #9 (8-1) Kansas St

~Nothing makes a rivalry game better than putting the season on the line. Both teams have 1-loss in the BigXII North, where Nebraska seems unstopable. Both teams are ranked in the Top 10 in the nation and are hoping for BCS Dreams. Both are fighting hard for recruiting prospects out of their home state. What a game we have lined up. The Jayhawks and Senior QB Todd Reesing travel to take on the Wildcats and breakthrough QB Grant Gregory in the Sunflower Showdown. There isn't much to say about this game, but it is HUGE for both teams. Kansas St suffered a heart breaking loss to Oklahoma last week, and with Mizzou and Nebraska in their future, this game is so much more important. As for the Jayhawks, an upset special against Texas Tech really hurt this team. Next week they will face the Cornhuskers, followed by 2 extremely tough road games against Texas and Mizzou. Win and you are still alive to slay the beast known as Nebraska, lose....well....grab your ankles and kiss your ass goodbye for this season.

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Nearing the Finish

~We begin to close in on BigXII's Conference Championship Game and the race is still on. Some guys have found themselves elminated, some hanging by a thread to stay alive, others are in the midst of heated battles. With week 11 winding down, we begin to look ahead to Week 12 and some extremely crucial games. Here is a look at the schedule for week 12, highlighted by live or die games.

Colorado 6-4(2-4) v Oklahoma St 9-1(5-1)

~Colorado got the 6th win they were looking for to become bowl eligible, and OSU squeaked out another W against Texas Tech. Which team will keep on the winning streak?
    My Pick: OkSt 27-20

Baylor 4-6(0-6) v Texas A&M 7-3(3-3)
    ~A&M suffers a heart breaking loss to Oklahoma while Baylor continues to suffer in the BigXII. Will Texas A&M continue their Texas dominance, or will Baylor shake the monkey from their back?
    No Pick

Kansas St 9-1(5-1) v Nebraska 8-1(4-1)
    Huge game for the BigXII North. Nebraska strong after beating Kansas, Kansas St has a meeting yet to finish against Mizzou. Winner goes to BigXII Championship.
    My Pick: Nebraska 17-10

Iowa St 3-8(1-6) v Mizzou 6-3(2-3)
    ~Cyclones continue to slide as Mizzou looks to get to .500. Not a game that gets the media's attention, but could be one of the BigXII's best games of the season.
    Me Pick: Mizzou 35-34

Oklahoma 9-2(4-2) v Texas Tech 5-4(1-4)
    ~New coach in Lubbuck, Sooners riding a high horse after win over TAMU. The higher they ride, the further and harder they fall. Upset City for this week!
    My Pick: Texas Tech 42-31

Kansas 7-3(3-3) v Texas 9-1(5-1)
    ~Texas continues to look like the BigXII South's favorite with a possible BCS National Championship bid awaiting them. Take care of business before monster meeting in College Station next week.
    My Pick: Texas 31-17

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I don't know if I should take it as a compliment or not but I haven't scored 30 points in a game all season with Iowa State. I know I've allowed 30 points in at least one game.

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I think you play good football there with the Cyclones...defense defense defense wins games

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I know I am 1-2 good recruiting classes away from being a solid bowl team from Big 12. My point was mainly I don't think I have scored 30 points all season in a game and you said I would lose 35-34 to Missouri. Not complaining about the loss just the score. lol

Good work by the way.(y)

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Good work cimmy.

My pick: Tamu loses by 21

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Haha, you would...

In that case...

COLORADO WILL UPSET OKLAHOMO STATE